RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman 4500 vs RCBS lube-o-matic2

Boolit Mold

Lyman 4500 vs RCBS lube-o-matic2

This is my first time trying to cast my own bullets just getting into all of this reloading- casting bullets ect.when i jump into someing i go all the way been on my mind for a long time do alot of reading and looking what i want to know is witch one is better and why

In Remembrance

I have both and prefer the RCBS. The Lyman leaks at the base and has not as much leverage. I can fix the leaks by replacing the "O" rings but every couple of years, here we go again. In addition you have to be really careful with long rifle bullets with the Lyman or they will size off-center or not concentric. It is difficult to allign the Lyman dies precisely under the nose punch. I use the Lyman for short pistol bullets and the RCBS for precision rifle bullets and get by with both.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the input i wanted to cast rifle bullets because i don't have any pistols yet i will soon i shot my cusin's BLACKHAWK 45 MAG i liked that that was cool
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    I have a star and a RCBS sizer/luber and I use the star for 38spl-357 mag and the RCBS for everything else and like it.
    I have not used the Lyman as of yet.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the reply the more feed back the better so far it looks like the RCBS i do like the RCBS line
    thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    If money is no object, or if you are mechanically challenged, the RCBS is better. I have two Lymans, a 450 and a 4500. I have used an RCBS in the Past (borrowed). The 4500 has better leverage than the older 450, but the RCBS is better than either. There are fewer concentricity issues with the RCBS, and leakage of Lubricant is seldom a problem. On the downside, at least on the older RCBS Lobe-a-matic, the compressor ring-plunger can come off the screw-shaft and then become a major pain to re-attach.
    Pricewise, The Lyman are frequently found on e-bay, at very reasonable prices, while the RCBS is less common.
    Right now at Midway, the Lyman is about 5 bucks less than the RCBS (164.99 vs, 169.99) but I'd strongly recommend price shopping. Midsouth, Graf And Sons, also carry these products and may have a sale price that is lower.
    However, if you are just starting out, and are not sure you are going to continue with casting, consider Lee's simple push through sizers. They work very well with pan lubing or with tumble lubing, and are a tenth the cost of the Lyman or RCBS.
    Also, a great many folks like the Star Sizers. I have used one, and it was good, but not worth the exorbitant price they go for.

In Remebrance

I have a RCBS, Lyman 45 and Lyman 450. I prefer then in that order. I find the RCBS to be a better made product than the 450 by a couple of times. I understand the 4500 has more quality control issues than even the 450. THe 45 is an entirely different critter and isn't in the same class, being a much lighter unit, but a very good one.

Another thing to consider is that while RCBS hasn't bent over backwards to accommodate casters by making 4 cavs or new designs, Lyman has pretty much slapped us in the face with near useless moulds, a lack of response to any requests and poor warranty service. I can't support Lyman very much anymore. It's all about the bottom line with them.

Boolit Mold
    Well it looks like the RCBS is the way to go i;ll keep u updated
    Thanks for the input