Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Looking for Source for Lyman "J" Shell Holders

Looking for Source for Lyman "J" Shell Holders

Bought a beautiful old Lyman All-American Press a couple of months ago for C-Note. Couple of photos. The old press came with the swing arm priming tool, one priming post, a #2 Shell holder, and a "310" set of dies (.270 Winchester, w/the adpater) - pretty much complete, in the original box. I am old enough I could have bought one of these presses new as a adolescent - if I'd had the coins (which I didn't)...

Anyone know of a source for the Lyman "J" shell holders to fit the A&A and/or Tru-Line JR press? Specifically looking for a #26 (.223 Rem, triple-duece), a #7 (.44 Mag), and a #11 (.45 Colt).

I bought a #1 (.38/.357) off Ebay a week or so and and had to pay a ton for it.

Have the "J" to "X" shell holder adapter, as well as the special T-Priming punch required for use w/the "X" type shell holders (Lyamn, RCBS, Lee et al), but the priiming punch doesn't lnie up exactly right with the "X" shell holders.

Any Assistance would be appreciated and thanks!

Boolit Master

niler,

your post here might get you a reply. If not you can go to the 310 shop

http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

I also know a couple guys who may be able to help you out. Let's see what you get here, and if it doesn't pan out send me a pm and I will get you some contact info.

Ebay and Gunbroker as good sources for such items.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you any idea why the priming punch you have does not line up?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I would bet that the bottom of the x shellholders do not have a nice chamfer to get the t punch started. You might look at the shellholders to see if you can make that chamfer work for alignment.

Try a 60 degree countersink to give it a better entry.

Punch "grabs" the sleeve on the T-Punch - worse w/the large plug. ROGER ALL and many thanks! Will check the chamfer on the bottom side of the shell holder.

Boolit Master

niler,

you might be able to chuck the t punch in a drill and gently polish the sleeve with fine crocus cloth/sand paper. Depending on where the sleeve is grabbed you might just have a burr or need very minor diameter adjustment. Also check to see if the keeper pin for the sleeve does not extend outside the sleeve.

Boolit Master

you need to use LYMAN X holders. they did that for a reason. I have many Js Pm and let me know what you need . AND no they are not cheap but I would need $7 each

Shotman,

Looking for #26 (.223 Rem, triple-duece), a #7 (.44 Mag), and a #11 (.45 Colt). Be glad to give you $7 each plus postage. Let me know and we'll work out the coins. Thanks!

Niler

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, Shotman, but that begs the question to some degree. How are Lyman X shellholders, different than, say, RCBS, Bair, Pacific, etc.?
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Master

Wayne,

Specifically the lyman x shell holders are made to work with the t priming posts and the j to x adapter. mainly deals with hole diameter and lead angle to get alignment.

You can experience something similar with new versus old rcbs shell holders and the various iterations of the rcbs hand primer. My old single load rcbs hand primer will use any x shell holder. The new rcbs hand primer with primer magazine and cutoff you must have a bevel on the bottom the shell holder so that it will fit over the plastic primer guide.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, tell me about old RCBS shell holders. I have one for the 45-70 that must be very old cause it's at least a third larger across the top than any other shell holder I have! I also found out the hard way that Lyman and Lee shell holders don't work to well in the RCBS hand primer! I have a Bair shell holder that barely fits (tight) in my RCBS Jr but fits the Brown Bair very well. I know that there are a lot of subtle differences.

I just became aware of the Lyman T-punch from this thread and ordered one. I was wondering specifically what problems I will have and possible fixes, since I apparantly have a sognificant variety of shell holders!
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Master

Manleyjt has it right look at the Lyman bottom it has a belvel to help start the punch. Also the are about 1/16 in thinner. If you use any other shell holder it will not seat the primer deep enough. You have to reset the post and make sure it lines up
    Its like RCBS molds you use their handles of make something work

Boolit Mold

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manleyjt View Post
    niler,

your post here might get you a reply. If not you can go to the 310 shop

http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

I also know a couple guys who may be able to help you out. Let's see what you get here, and if it doesn't pan out send me a pm and I will get you some contact info.
    310 Shop looks interesting. Is it a good place to sell 310 tools?