MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS pro 2000 ?

RCBS pro 2000 ?

This is not to start a red vs green vs blue thing

Had a long talk with an Alliant powder rep who is also a competitive shooter at the local gun store. He uses an RCBS pro 2000 with the auto index and highly recommends it over the Dillon 550 and Hornady LNLAP.

If anyone uses one of these units are you happy with the 2000 ? Do you like the strip primer system ? Can you easily deprime and re size in the same run as reloading ? Is there a roller handle available. Change over time ? How much effort to pull handle with a full shell plate of pistol brass ? OAL variation ?

I will be in the market for a better progressive soon and I have been happy with all the RCBS gear I now own.

Boolit Master
    Good question. I have a lee classic turrent. While it is a good.press, my speed is only 150 per hour. I Would like to know the real speed of the pro2000, LNL and Dillon 550b as I am in market for a progressive for 9mm and 45acp.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I had a Pro 2000 on my bench for about 4 weeks.

It did not belong to me, but I offered to help a friend's widow to sell some of his reloading equipment. He had bought it new and had never loaded a shell, had attempted to get it going, but at that point in his life lacked the attention span and dexterity to make it work.

This is a well made machine. I admit that it took me a couple of times to get used to the primer strips. I carelessly stuck one in backwards which locked up the priming system and I probably fiddled with everything for 30 minutes before I realized my mistake. I did like the fact that the powder measure stayed mounted on the press and that the case belling was done with regular die set. This model was before the automatic advance. You turned the shell plate by hand the same as on a Dillon 550. Caliber change-overs were fairly easy, but not as fast as pulling the whole tool head on a Dillon with an extra powder measure attached, but again, more expense in having an extra measure.

I have a Piggyback II and was tempted to buy the machine myself due to the interchangability for the shell plates, but sold to a buddy instead. If you have an opportunity to buy one of these presses at something considerably less than retail you probably will be happy with it. My experience with RCBS customer service over the last 30 years has been excellent (Dora Paul, I miss you!!).

Now, all the above being said, I personally prefer the Dillon 550b machine. At the time that I had the Pro 2000 above, I owned two of the Dillon 550's. Since then, I have two more of the 550's for a total of four. I still have the Piggyback II and a Star Universal with 2 heads. I have a bit of experience with several different types of machines.

If you buy a Pro 2000 or a Dillon 550b, learn the machine, take your time, and in my opinion you will be pleased with whichever choice you make.

Steve
    Last edited by curiousgeorge; 09-12-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: punctuation / spelling

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    Good question. I have a lee classic turrent. While it is a good.press, my speed is only 150 per hour. I Would like to know the real speed of the pro2000, LNL and Dillon 550b as I am in market for a progressive for 9mm and 45acp.
    I only load rifleammo on my 550b(45-70, 308w and 30-06) but making 100 complete cartridges of either takes roughly 12-15 minutes.
    Have no experiance with the red or green one though.
    Only load 338lapua on my single-press (Hornady 007) nowadays

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=59.063485,15.332720
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please check out my youtubechannel "fullfartiskogen" !

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Try this: http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=26

I had a Dillon 550B and wanted to fall in love but never could! Sold it!

Boolit Master

I have the Hornady LnL AP. I do not have the auto case feed or auto bullet feed. The primer feed works well. The auto indexing sorta so-so. It requires constant adjustment. Over all I like it fine but I wish I had bought green.

In my experience most production speeds are seriously overstated and do not account for setup, cleaning out, refilling, etc. In a short run, I can load 8 to 10 rounds per minute, That sounds like 480 to 600 rounds per hour but the true rate is no where near that level. In an hour, I will have to fill the primer tube several times. I will have to empty the catch tray several times, I will have to pick bullets, and cases off the floor. Cases will split when resized or expanded and have to be picked out.
    A cartridge will get crooked and be crumpled by the seating die, etc, etc, etc.

In a real loading session when I have an unlimited supply of cases, primers, and bullets within reach without getting off my stool, I can load around 300 to 350 per hour. ( .38 Special )
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 550b and can sustain* 450 rounds per minute of 9mm and 45acp.

*The wife unit keeps the primers filled and the completed bullet tray empty.

Seagiant- I did find that write up after posting, good info.

Thanks for input. Do the 550b owners deprime and resize on the same run as reloading ? Do use sort your brass before reloading ?

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Ok, I'm going to give it to you straight up,but remember this is the world according to Seagiant after reloading for 30+ years! The Dillon 550B is probably the most liked progressive reloader made AND supported today! It has removable shell heads, case activated powder drop and trouble free manual indexing. I did NOT like the reloader after using it for about 4 years!!! If you want to reload on a progressive I would go with a STAR and get what parts you need off different places on the Internet. however this takes dedication and a willingness to think and do for yourself. You can't call STAR and get parts or an answer to your question!

I also sold my 3 STARS not to long ago because I was tired of progressives and wanted to slow down and get more involved in my reloading. I have now gone to the PW Metallic II and I'm quite happy!
    Last edited by seagiant; 02-08-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    i will stay with dillon and be happy .there real good to work with and a good co.

Boolit Master
    Well both my 550 and 650 work great. I can load 100 rds of pistol ammo on a 550 in well under 10 mins easily. It seldom if ever chokes so that is a real speed. Can I do that for a hour, heck no. I get bored to easily.
    650 can load 100 rds of pistol in 6 mins or less. It also is very reliable. Doesn't choke (it's just a little more finicky to setup then the 650 because it's so much faster).
    My lnl could never do the above. It would mess up every 1oo rds at least a couple time. Not a huge deal but hardly confidence inspiring compared to my Dillons.

I hear the RCBS is a good machine UNLESS it gets powder under the shellplate. So keep it clean and it works fine. That was from a friend who owned one and sold it to get a LnL.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    Well, I had a Pro 2000 on my bench for about 4 weeks.

It did not belong to me, but I offered to help a friend's widow to sell some of his reloading equipment. He had bought it new and had never loaded a shell, had attempted to get it going, but at that point in his life lacked the attention span and dexterity to make it work.

This is a well made machine. I admit that it took me a couple of times to get used to the primer strips. I carelessly stuck one in backwards which locked up the priming system and I probably fiddled with everything for 30 minutes before I realized my mistake. I did like the fact that the powder measure stayed mounted on the press and that the case belling was done with regular die set. This model was before the automatic advance. You turned the shell plate by hand the same as on a Dillon 550. Caliber change-overs were fairly easy, but not as fast as pulling the whole tool head on a Dillon with an extra powder measure attached, but again, more expense in having an extra measure.

I have a Piggyback II and was tempted to buy the machine myself due to the interchangability for the shell plates, but sold to a buddy instead. If you have an opportunity to buy one of these presses at something considerably less than retail you probably will be happy with it. My experience with RCBS customer service over the last 30 years has been excellent (Dora Paul, I miss you!!).

Now, all the above being said, I personally prefer the Dillon 550b machine. At the time that I had the Pro 2000 above, I owned two of the Dillon 550's. Since then, I have two more of the 550's for a total of four. I still have the Piggyback II and a Star Universal with 2 heads. I have a bit of experience with several different types of machines.

If you buy a Pro 2000 or a Dillon 550b, learn the machine, take your time, and in my opinion you will be pleased with whichever choice you make.

Steve

Wow, you can't get a more fair, honest, level evaluation than that.

Boolit Master
    I had a Dillon 550 for several years, it is a good press. I got a good deal on a used RCBS 2000 here and ran both side by side for a while. I found the RCBS press to be superior inmany ways to the 550. It should be, they copied and improved on the 550.

I sold the Dillon long ago, the RCBS 2000 suits me much better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    I had a Dillon 550 for several years, it is a good press. I got a good deal on a used RCBS 2000 here and ran both side by side for a while. I found the RCBS press to be superior inmany ways to the 550. It should be, they copied and improved on the 550.

I sold the Dillon long ago, the RCBS 2000 suits me much better.

That is the first time I have heard a story like that!

Please tell us the many ways the RCBS is superior.

I am totally ignorant, I really want to know.

Boolit Master
    I sold my RCBS Pro 2000 several years ago. This is a decent press, but, like other similar machines is for production only - not practical for experimentation with loads. I don't recall now exactly what the specific problem was with the strip primer system, but it was never totally reliable. Now, I use a couple of Stars for .38 Special and .45 ACP production work and a versatile '60s Texan turret press for other handgun rounds. No regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by FWest View Post
    Seagiant- I did find that write up after posting, good info.

Thanks for input. Do the 550b owners deprime and resize on the same run as reloading ? Do use sort your brass before reloading ?
    That all depends upon what I’m loading. For bottleneck rifle rounds you can run a Lee collet neck sizer which requires no lube. Or run a neck sizer and run your cases over a brush and motor mica first. There is not place to put a Lyman M die or other expander die ahead of the powder drop on the second station. Thus I often pre size cases on my Rock Chucker. Tumble in corn cob to remove size lube. Then run an M die in station one. If the RCBS 2000 has an extra station for adding an expander die after the sizer it should be a better cast bullet loader.

Most of what I load is straight wall pistol- 9mm, 38,357, 45acp. I do some rifle but have not tried it on a progressive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    That is the first time I have heard a story like that!

Please tell us the many ways the RCBS is superior.

I am totally ignorant, I really want to know.
    OK, here I go;

1 5 stations instead of 4

2 cast iron and steel instead of aluminum

3 deprimes on station 1 and reprimes on station 2, thus preventing the fired primer grit from fouling the repriming mecanism.

4 much more reliable priming system with no maintence needed every 500 rds . I have loaded over 20,000 rds with 0 repriming problems.

5 under 1 minute to change primer sizes

6 it is cheaper to buy caliber conversions

7 many more calibre conversions available

8 better case retention system

9 auto indexing is an option

10 more leverage and a bigger press opening window for big hans and big cases

The 550 is better IMO in these ways

1 better quality casting finishes and paint quality

2 case feeder is an option

3 press arms are drilled with oil holes

4 resale value

Warrantys are equal

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Thanks for educating me quasi!

That was good, specific information.

It's good to know that there really is another option out there for a progressive besides Blue and Red.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast