Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where were you and what were you doing when the planes hit?

Love Life

Where were you and what were you doing when the planes hit?

Well members it has been ten years since the terrorists attacked us. It is a time for reflection. So I ask this question: Where were you and what were you doing when the planes hit?

I was in the 11th grade. It was first period, woodshop, in Mr. C'c class in Austin, MN. I remember the principle coming over the school intercom system instructing all teachers to cease classroom instruction and turn on the news. At that time only the first tower had been hit. I remember sitting there watching and wondering how somebody could hit the WTC. It's huge. You would have to be blind. As we were watching the live feed we saw the second plane hit.
    At that point I looked over at my friend Gene and said "We are being attacked" (as all people watching the news that day did). The school was locked down and we continued to watch the news as everything unfolded that day. I remember watching the first tower fall and then the second. I didn't know anybody personally in New York, but my heart cried for them. We were released early from school around 1:30 P.M. I remember my mom driving me home and the town was pretty much shut down. We continued to watch the news for the next 2 days.
    Once all the info was released about who was responsible and the estimated body count me and Gene decided to join the Marines as infantryman if the war was still going when we graduated. It was and we did. He is not here with us any more to reflect on this day, but I can bet he would say we have evened things out.
    It is just amazing how time flies and how events impact your life.

So where were you and what were you doing when the planes hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    So where were you and what were you doing when the planes hit?
    I was home. Received a phone call that said the towers had been hit. Turned on the tube and watched it unfold. I remember falling to my knees while clutching the coffee table as the first tower fell. Today is always a tough day to get through. Hurts like it just happened.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Being 3hr behind NYC ,and then, no cable, just some FM out of Reno. I rolled out at 5 headed for work about 545 . When I got to our office around 620 , 1 of the guys says kinda loud "Rich doesn't have any TV. Did you hear about NY? ","a plane hit the WTC". Shortly there after a wife called saying a 2nd had hit. By then we had some make shift rabbit ears on the training tv and learned that the 1st call had come from the middle east. Anwar SaDat"We didn't do it and had nothing to do w/it. How can I help you". Then came the call that our depot was locked down and the guards would be 7/12s untill further notice. We were eventually sent home on admin leave for most of 6 work days. Nat'l guard came in and adding 50% to the local pop.

When the claim of responsibility came in,I told a friend "I told you the Cole was Pearl Harbor all over, if Wild Willie had done what needed doing we'd of not had this!" Give or take a few expitives. By then there was a whole lot of rage in my circles.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I was at work, actually on the road gathering up materials and when I got back the guys told me we were hit. Took awhile before radio coverage caught up but the place we were working had a tv. I pretty much kept working figuring I'd get the whole story sooner or later. We have many family members in Somerset county but learned fairly quickly they weren't near the third plane. I do remember telling the guys....the younger ones.....they used to ask us where we were when JFK was shot, guess this will change the question now.

Boolit Master

I was in my office, assistant principal at Groves Middle School. The school secretary told me what was going on. I checked out a TV from the library and was watching when the second plane hit. We had a hook up that allowed us to send the TV channel to all the rooms. We made an announcement and then showed the school what was going on. It was a very somber and quiet day.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Buddy
    I was sitting in the VRC-30 duty office pulling the balls to eight ASDO watch. Maybe about halfway through watching smokey and the bandit.

I was working on a bridge spanning the James River when I heard it on radio. News spread like wildfire as we tuned in while we worked. The strangest thing was when they grounded all the planes and it was so quiet, spooky. We were within a mile of the nuclear plant that makes naval fuel, and when some nut flew over in an untralight, heading down the river, we thought it would get shot down. Attracted a lot of attention.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master

I was at the local lumber yard. The lady behind the counter told me a tower had been hit and I figured that it was some kind of weird accident. Then the 2nd one hit.......... It really seemed like a Hollywood movie and not real life as it all unfolded. The U.S. was changed that day. Sad.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Had worked late the night before and was getting out of bed when I heard it on the radio.
    Kids were waiting for the bus and watching TV. Yelled at them to put the box on CNN.
    Wife was having a coffee in the kitchen and thought I had blew a fuse by the way I was hollering from the bed room.

Got out to the TV just before the second plane did it's dasterdly deed.

I remember standing there just feeling cold and wondering what the he!! was going to happen next.

Our little world has changed immensely since that dark day!

Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Master

I was doing a remodel of some offices at Ft Custer Training Center over at Battle Creek. The Sargent came over and asked If we had a radio and if we did we should turn it on. It ultimately gave us some work because of increased spending. But it was a pain getting into the gate in the morning. They looked all around and under the van every day but when they looked inside at the jumble of stuff I had in there, they just closed the doors and said ok. Suddenly they had money to spend though.

I had no TV at the time and my father called me and told me what had happened. Back then I was ranch foreman of a cattle ranch. As I drove by the headquarters the owner called me up to the house and we watched the news for 4 hours.
    jmsj

Installing elevators at the courthouse 'complex' in Lexington Kentucky. Got the news by word of mouth about 11am. Was a weird day in thought the rest of the day then. Alot of 'talk & gossip' that slowed the work down the rest of the day....and nobody pushed it.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Boolit Master

I was working on the assembly line we had personal radio's there to listen to music or what ever and the people that listened to Howard Stern were the first to find out. We all tuned in that station before the second plane hit. Many of us thought when it happened to the second tower it was war for sure. Something the news forgets is those fools (jihadists) thought that by knocking down the twin towers that are economy would collapse, maybe we are still effected by it but it is the stupid things we are doing like taking diapers off old women that is really hurting our freedoms.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master

I had just gotten to work at Pearl Harbor. There was a flurry of activity and all non-essential personnel were ordered off of the base. Security was raised to condition Delta and things got real quiet.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    We were camping in the beyond and did not hear of it until days later.
    ph4570

In Remembrance

We were sitting in the doc's office waiting for him to see the youngest as it was all unfolding on the TV.

Boolit Grand Master

I was at home. It was my day off and my wife had called. She works at the base and said traffic was backed up for miles and she was trying to get to work but they were only letting key essential people on base. They hadn't planned anything like this out so even though she would have been considered essential they didn't have her on the list.
    Anyway I had just gotten up as usual on my day off and I would watch the morning news and drink my morning coffee. I missed the first plane hitting or maybe it hadn't been covered yet, I don't remember. I do remember the choked up feeling I had while all this went on.
    Aim small, miss small!

Asleep as we are out of phase with you. SWMBO got up at 5:30am for an early shift at the hospital and the news came on the radio. I remember sitting bolt upright in bed saying something along the lines of "goodness me, the Twin Towers are down" though with a great deal more colour to the language.

At the time I was between jobs having just finished up on redundancy and was having a break. I spent the day casting on the porch keeping an eye on the TV through the sliding door. It was an unbelievable experience I hope not to see again.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Talking a customer through an OS reinstall.

Boolit Master
    My wife woke me up and said that the twin towers has been attacked. As a ex-new yorker I could stand in the parking lot of the company I had worked for and everyday could see the them. Living in Louisiana and watching this was gut wrenching. At the time we had two daughters in school. Picked them up and all through out the day all of us watched as events unfolded. there were a lot of parents picking up their children early as the parking lot was crowded. My heart goes out to the families of the almost 3000 people killed in this attack. I will never forget that day. Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast