Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 358009 And 35 Whelen Load Help

358009 And 35 Whelen Load Help

What is your favorite hunting loads for the 358009 and the 35 Whelen?

Thanks for any info you can give.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned

I haven't gotten far on it, but my rifle hasn't liked that bullet much. I've used pretty much full power loads with RL-15 and IMR4320. Mine is a Remington 700 and I think it has a slower twist than it really needs for a bullet that heavy.

I've had a rather lengthy pause in working with that rifle for various reasons, but I just got another project finished so I hope to get back to it soon.

Boolit Buddy
    I load IMR-3031 at 1950 fps, but will have to look the exact charge up tonight. Using air cooled wheel weights that weigh around 315 grs. I put a 1-12 twist barrel on my action since I originally planned to shoot nothng but 250 gr Speer jackected, but the lead was too tempting. The boolit was not spectacularly accurate, but out to 75 yards, dead deer.

Really too much boolit for the few deer that I shot here in central Kentucky. I have always meant to pick up a lighter weight Flat Nose mold, but nothing yet.

Steve

Boolit Master

I tried mine in my 700 classic which is not supposed to stabilize this boolit...so, just to test the theory, I tried "the load" of 13 grains Red Dot. It shot fine. I have not taken this any further in developement.

Thank You Gang. For some odd reason the No 1 BOOLIT for the 35 Whelen that I read about is not used very much. Except for light loads.

I have a 24 inch 1-14 Twist which should stabilize the 358009.
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 08-09-2011 at 08:11 PM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned

Banned

my favorite shoulder buster load

Blammer I do remember that load. But call me odd but the load you give looks a bit low in charge weight. That is the only thing that puzzles me. As I was looking here http://stevespages.com/358_2_275.html But Steve does not give speed or pressure info.

Boolit Master

You guys are killing me with your 358009 discussion. I am envious of those of you that have one of those moulds. Meanwhile my Ruger 77 MK II is happy with the RCBS 35-200. Someday...maybe I'll be the first to see it in the WTS section. I like reading about it anyway.

Boolit Master

Get in on the NOE group buy! There is a re-do going on right now.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by 94Doug View Post
    Get in on the NOE group buy! There is a re-do going on right now.

Doug
    Go here -----> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=124128

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    What is your favorite hunting loads for the 358009 and the 35 Whelen?

Thanks for any info you can give.
    My load is 48g of AA 4064 and the 358009. Velocity is 2150fps from my 1:12 twist bbl and accuracy is close to an inch at 100yds. I've shot several big game animals with this combo and have only recovered 1 boolit in the off side hide of a moose. It lost a whopping 2 grains in weight IIRC.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Any more info on the 358009 would be GREAT?

It's not a 35 Whelen, but yesterday I was shooting some of these bullets cast from my NOE mould out of my 358. Water dropped, gaschecked, loaded over 40gr. IMR 3031 (case full to the base of the bullet) I was seeing 2200 fps, and sub 1 inch groups. Most shots were touching. Evidently my rifle REALLY likes this bullet! It doesn't go as fast as it could in a Whelen, but sure ought to work on elk if I can get to within 200 yards or so.

Oh, rifle is a Rem 700 that I barreled with an Adams & Bennett tube that I turned down to Kreiger #3 taper so it's fairly light. 1:14 twist seems to stabilize that long bullet just fine.

Boolit Master
    I had a Ruger 77 .35 Whelen that I purchased new about twenty years ago. Best loads with jacketed bullets were not impressive ( inch & a half) and with the #358009, worse. My old notes don't indicate a group size, but water-dropped wheelweight bullets, sized .359", and 34 grains Reloder 7 shot better than most anything else, so I'm guessing a group size of 2"+. Muzzle velocity of this load was 1842 fps. OAL was 3.15"; CCI-200 primers.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The 14 twist for that boolit is perfect. Accuracy is 90 percent dependent on your recoil abilities at anything over 2000 fps. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

I checked my Lyman 47, and there is data as well. Up to 2350fps with 3031. ouch.

Doug