Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite 45-70 Loads

Favorite 45-70 Loads

Whats your Favorite 45-70 loads?I have some 400 & 500 grain CBs......

Boolit Master

405gr Lee RNFP over 14.5gr. Unique seems to do the trick for me!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    300gr RCBS GC with 16gr Unique gives me 1-2" groups @100yds with the Marlin CB. I get a little worse groups with 400gr RCBS GC and Unique. My experience suggests that Unique may not work as well with the heavier boolit -- at least that seems to be the case for my setup.
    ph4570

Boolit Grand Master

405 RCBS with 27.0 2400. Under 1"@100 yds. with my Guide Gun. Didn't see much need for the 500gr bullet.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

405 rcbs gas check behind 50gr of imr3031
    will stop anything you need it to
    recoil is STIFF!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Bub
    500gr. RCBS 26gr. 2400 Marlin 1895 Cuts holes at 100yds. Kicks like a mule but don't hurt as bad. Tim

Boolit Master
    I know you want 400 and 500 grain data, buuuut;
    A 350gr. Ranch Dog and 55gr. 3031 Shoots great out of my #1 and should be safe in a Marlin.
    Under an inch @ 50 yards (iron sights) and spot on 2000fps.
    As to recoil, well, you don't have to look at the primers to be sure it went off.

Boolit Master
    Okay, just to be different - I use a Montana Precision Swaging 405 grain FP lubed with SPG, a .060" card wad, and 68.0 grains of Goex 2F in Starline brass. Brass is annealed before each firing. Recoil is a slow push, and accuracy is better than I can hold!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

57.0 W748 under either 405 cast or jacketed runs 1750 in my Marlin GG and is
    very accurate, also kills big stuff really well. This is reported by Brian Pearce to
    be a trapdoor pressure load, too.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I run 5.0gr of promo as a kicker under enough WC860 to get .125" powder compression when the boolit is seated. Actaul charge weight depends on the boolit. All boolits are paper patched. For example, with the Lyman hollowpoint I am running 50.0gr of WC860. Velocity is about 1500fps
    Some where between here and there.....

Lyman 451114 wit 2 wraps of 16# paper over 52gr AA2495 for a standard load. If I feel the need for speed I switch to 50gr 3031 or Reloader #7.

I loaded a few 500gr.cb and they were to long to fit in my chamber of the little ruger#1 rifle,i went to pull one and the gas check stayed way down inside the case,I just reseated the cast bullet back on top of the gas check and ran it deeper into the case so it will chamber,is this ok or should i not shoot this round now since i seperated the gas check form the hardcast bullet.iam new to cast bullet shooting and dont know alot about them,i have a charge of 25& 26gr.sr4759 powder,i got the load off steves pages & a speer book for trapdoorloads & 500gr.cast bullets for the 45-70....any help appreciated,I dont want to mess up my gun or me..is this common on gas checked rounds if you try to pull them out?A great Big Thanks to everyone for all the loads & help.You guys are#1

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
    Whats your Favorite 45-70 loads?I have some 400 & 500 grain CBs......
    Which level? There is generally considered to be 3 levels of loadings for the 45-70; trapdoor/BP rifles, Marlin Lever and Ruger #1 & 3s. I consider there to be a 4th level when using my Siamese Mauser bolt action. Safety dictates stating the rifle or level used with any given load.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

25 grains of 2400 with Lee Hollow Base 405 grain bullet.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range. txpete's Avatar
    pig load

After five years of trying I have finally found THE load for my Marlin 1895g. Does everything I want done and is still shootable. I started with new Remington brass, annealed the first ¾ inch using the melted lead method, belled with a Lee expander and primed with CCI 200. The powder charge is 52gr AA 2495. I started with 48 and worked up with no signs of pressure. This is a compressed load, even using a 16 inch drop tube. The magic bullet is cast in a Lyman 451114 mould. The alloy is 17 parts pure lead, 2 ½ parts linotype, and ½ part tin. The bullet drops from the mould .451 and is ready for patching. I make my patches from 16lb green bar computer paper, cut 2.750 long on a 60* angle 1.500 high. I dip in water and wrap twice around the bullet. They are left to dry overnight, then lubed with LLA. The next day the tails are clipped and the bullet is run through a .459 Lee sizing die. I seat them to an OCL of 2.580. These shoot clover leaf groups at 25 yards and into 1.75 at 100. This is with a Lyman 66 rear sight and factory front sight. Not bad for 55 year old eyes. Bullet performance on game is all one could ask for. I’ll not quit experimenting, but how does one improve on perfection?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Which level? There is generally considered to be 3 levels of loadings for the 45-70; trapdoor/BP rifles, Marlin Lever and Ruger #1 & 3s. I consider there to be a 4th level when using my Siamese Mauser bolt action. Safety dictates stating the rifle or level used with any given load.

Larry Gibson
    Thanks, Larry...

That was the first question that came to my mind, too. Big difference between what I used to run through a Ruger #1 and what I currently shoot in a (reproduction) Trapdoor Carbine.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Kraschenbirn

Yes siree....that can indeed be a very big difference!

Larry Gibson

I didnt think about that,its a Ruger#1 ,,,Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
    I didnt think about that,its a Ruger#1 ,,,Thanks!
    Your good to go with most loads.

Larry Gibson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast