Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MiHec H&G #68 4 Cavity Brass 452 200gr SWC results

Boolit Mold

Smile MiHec H&G #68 4 Cavity Brass 452 200gr SWC results

Recieved my 4 cavity mold in the mail & cast 2 batches of bullets. 1st batch cast of
    WW plus 1% tin. My mold was ordered in .454 diameter because when using softer mixes in other molds the bullets seems to drop a little small & I size to .452
    When sized in a star lubsizer a little lube leaked around the nose of bullets & had to be wiped off after loading. The mold was cleaned and set on top of my RCBS 20 lb furnace to heat up. After about 6 times of casting the mould started to drop bullets that were well filled out. I cast at 725 degrees on the RCBS dial. After I learned the pace to cast I ran off 400 bullets. BHN 12. I got 9 rejects in the first batch because of not complete fillout of groves or base not filled out. The mold was very easy to use & if not cast too fast bullets dropped out easily. This is the best mold I have ever cast with. ( I have 32 other molds). The 2nd batch was cast of 6lb WW & 4 lb plain lead I cast 800 bullets in this batch. I got 19 rejects in this batch. Bullets uere very uniform and cast at 202.3 gr plus or minus .3gr. Very uniform well cast filled out bullets. See attached pictures. The bullets were lubed & sized in a star lubsizer to .452. The mold was ordered in .454 and dropped from mold at that size.
    They sized very well to .452 with no lube leak around the nose.
    Bullets were loaded with 5.4 of 231 powder & shot for group at 25yd. Groups averaged 1 to 1.5 inch at 25 yards from sandbag rest. Very accurate & consistant
    This is The best mold for 45ACP that I have used. (I have 5 others).
    I highly recomend molds from MiHec.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mihec3.jpg   MiHec1.jpg   Mihec2.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

They are nice aren't they!

I have two of his Cramer hp moulds in brass and they are works of art. Even better, the boolits they cast are virtually perfect.

Nice looking boolits! That mould should keep you very happy.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Finally got out to try out the new boolits.

Load is 5,0 ww-231 and 5.5 231. Standard ww WLP. But I did try 2 different case makes. R-P AND WIN. Surprised to see the win cases win hands down. I though the thicker win cases might squeeze down the boolits that ended up @ .4525. I did NOT pull a boolit after seating in the 2.

Now the decision will be which to load. I may try a bit below and above the 5.5 load to see if I'm on the edge of greatness! This is about the best this SA 1911 has done. Shells fed just fine. Must be the nose config of the H&G-68!

Rats! I forgot to say those were shot at 25 yeards.
    Last edited by snuffy; 09-20-2011 at 02:15 AM. Reason: wus shot @ 25
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

I hate it I missed out on this mould , hope theres a rerun in the future?

My Wilson combat 5" gun shoots them so accurately it's borderline crazy.

My first brass blocks...certainly took me some time to figure out how to make this mold really dropp good slugs. I'm used to brainless Lyman and H&G iron moulds that seem to work perfectly 99.76% of the time.

Great bullet design.

FN in MT

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bob. View Post
    I hate it I missed out on this mould , hope theres a rerun in the future?
    I still have some.....
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Master
    Miha,
    (A different Bob here) but if you have one; I'd like a .452" dia 4 cav. brass, plain base H&G #68 200gr. SWC mould with handles. Would you PM me regarding ordering / payment details. Sorry I missed the original group buy.
    Thank You,
    Bob

Boolit Master

Here are 200gr SWC bullets which I cast using various molds: Lee, original H&G #68 and the Mihec mold:

I hope to be able to do some shooting on Sunday and see how the Mihec bullets run through my 1911.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

As promised - here are the results - shot standing, 2-handed at the measured 25 yard mark at Elm Fork range this afternoon:

I called the flyer as I shot it - my fault, I tried to "make" the pistol fire instead of letting it do its own thing. That said, I'm delighted with the bullets - and they feed perfectly!
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

I ordered the hp version and can't wait for it to arrive. They will be the standard for me.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Bub
    I love mine and the way it shoots, other than the jamming, I just have one qustion for everyone using a 1911 platform. Are you experiencing any malfunctions such as not going into battery?

I'm shooting out of a Kimber Custom 2. Its been a great firearm with hardly ever any jams. Most jams have been during load development and getting the crimp right and most of the rounds have been 230 grain cast round nose lymans. This mold is my first venture into semi wad cutter and I was curious if maybe I had the OAL too short or long. What is everyone seating these to? Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by danielk; 02-23-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: my great spelling

Boolit Master

I don't measure an OAL. I set the seater so I have half a thumbnail of the forward drive band exposed above the case mouth.

Boolit Master
    I size to .452", seat to 1.250" OAL & have been taper crimping to .471" (basically removing the case belling) I've had no issues with feeding or jams. I love the boolit! Ed Brown 1911's
    Last edited by PbHurler; 02-23-2012 at 09:08 PM.
    Bob

Boolit Grand Master

If you are using a 1911 pattern pistol, seating depth depends on the chamber of the pistol. This picture says it all:

I taper crimp to .470". I have three different 1911 patterns (two custom built up pistols and a Kimber CDP Ultra II). All three of them feed 100% with the Mihec #68 bullet and a proper powder charge.

As the picture shows, I headspace on the bullet when loading cast bullets. I load all of my .45 ACP cases to work well in my 1911's and that shoots well in my revolvers, also (guess I am lucky...)

These days, I am mostly using my two 625's. They feed well, also

Dale53

Never had a failure to feed w/ my Mihec. Auto Ord stad GI 45. Mine has a long chamber and I seat the bullet as above (see Dale53's pic above). Gun loves it in front of 5 grns of Bullseye.

The auto COAL is too long for my new Blackhawk Conv. Have to seat the bullet deeper to get it to chamber, but don't really care, as mostly shoot 45 Colt in it.

Boolit Grand Master

oscarflytyer;
    Regarding your Blackhawk Convertible. When I got mine a year or so ago, mine wouldn't chamber my 1911 loads, either. When I measured the chamber throats, I discovered why. The chamber throats on both the .45 Colt cylinder and the .45 ACP cylinder were undersize.

I borrowed a Manson Reamer kit and reamed both cylinders (each and every throat, of course) to the "proper standard" of .4525".

Now both cylinders work as they are supposed to. I can freely chamber my .45 ACP's in the proper cylinder even when loaded for my 1911's. So, that's what I do. I load for my 1911's and they work perfectly in my .45 ACP cylinder, also. The first group I fired (at 50 feet indoors as it was COLD outside) gave me this off a makeshift rest:

So, you might want to consider having your cylinder throats reamed. Cylindersmith.com reportedly does a fine job with quick turn around for a modest fee. He also gives a discount for the second cylinder.

My .45 Colt cylinder caused leading in just a few shots, before reaming.

Now, I have a MORE than satisfactory revolver in every way.

Dale53

I have one of Miha's 4 bangers in brass and it it a honey. The 5.5 gr of 231 is an excellent performer.

NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

5.1gn of Vihtavuori N320 keeps mine in one ragged whole at 25 meters with the Norinco 1911.
    3.9gn of Bullseye from the S&W 625 does about the same.

I lent my Mihec 200gn SWC mold to a professional caster who got the mission to cast for a couple of visiting foreign shooters (I believe they were Canadian) at last summer's PPC World Championchips in Sweden. They were stunned and had never seen boolits so fine as from the Mihec mold. The load recipes they brought shot even tighter with the Mihec boolits than the ones they compete with at home. I got the mold back with a stunned "thank you" from all involved.
    Shoot from a rest at 25/50/100 yards, then post your groupings. That is the only way to compare accuracy results.

Boolit Master
    This just arrived in the mail last night. Hopefully I'll have some groups to show come spring:

Boolit Master

This just arrived in the mail last night. Hopefully I'll have some groups to show come spring:
    Looks like the mold is in the handles backwards. Does that mean you have to load them backwards?

They sure look nice BEFORE pouring all that nasty lead in them.

I'd be real interested to see how a SWCHP expands. I have the 200 RN cramer from Miha, they expand all the way to the base.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast