WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Possible bad batch of Federal Auto Match

Boolit Master

Possible bad batch of Federal Auto Match

I bought a box at walleyworld lot # 1HT536 out of about 100 rounds shot from my Hi Standard pistol i had at least 10 shots that were weak sounding and also a few malfunction , failure to eject they got caught between the barrel & slide and at least 1 failure to lock the slide back on last shot.
    I was surprised as ive been shooting this ammo for about 3 years now with no problems in over 3,000 rounds
    its a good thing i went to pratice for a falling steel match on wendsday! theres a match this sunday im going to take a known good lot to the match.

Boolit Master

A friend gave me a tool someone made that is a quick way to measure the rim thickness and I was measuring a box of Auto Match yesterday. I found most to be a 0-1 which is good, I got about 20 that measured 3-4 which is sill good but had 5 that measured -3 which means the rims are to thin and from experience means they will miss fire. Also had a few that the projectile itself was larger than the rest and would not go inside the tool.
    I am talking to a friend of mine to see if he can make more of these as they are quick and easy to check your 22 and 22mag rims quick. If I can I will post them here for sale.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bob,

Contact Federal with your lot number. You never know they might make it right.

Robert

Federal had a bad lot of AM-22 cartridges maybe 5 years ago or so and they made good on them.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    I recently bought a box of Lot 1HT504. So far I've shot maybe 50 rounds through a Ruger MK3 with no problems.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
    Federal had a bad lot of AM-22 cartridges maybe 5 years ago or so and they made good on them.
    They sent me a case of new ammo and told me not to bother with sending the defective stuff back.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    They sent me a case of new ammo and told me not to bother with sending the defective stuff back.
    Yep, that's pretty much the same story lots of people posted at the time. They didn't send me a case but they did replace the bad boxes of cartridges I had bought. The AM-22 is one of the better economy cartridges in my guns.