RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: C. Sharps (the other white meat) long

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    When you've shot just about everything and tried most everything, your going to find out that what you feed that rifle is about the most important thing once you have your shooting basics down. The most important for accuracy is the fit of the boolit to the cartridge, throat and bore. Close doesn't cut it. Get it exact and you will have more accuracy than you can possibly use, regardless of the firearm used assumeing that firearm is put together correctly.

Boolit Buddy
    this kinda like ford chevy dodge roll the dice! they all are a crap shoot!!

Thank you all for the input,,,, Please look at my post about Nevada Member

Bear Claw
    "I am Bear Claw Chris Lapp, blood-kin to the grizzly that bit Jim Bridger's ***!"

Hmm, I'm sure glad I didn't pay more than $1400 for my Pedersoli 45-90 Billy Dixon. Shoot, if I had I'd have dangerous, over-priced, symbol of my own ignorance and stupidity that just might blow up if I loaded it beyond factory recomendations. OK, now that my tongue is firmly out of my cheek; to pay a Shiloh price for a Pedersoli is foolish and wasteful unless one simply must have the gun today. That being said, I had my Pedersoli, a good set of Soule sights, dies, a mould (Lyman) and a Leupold spotting scope all new for just a hair under $2100 delivered. Since i'm not shooting in competition and since I wanted an accurate but affordable gun, I'm not kicking. I thought long and hard about a Shiloh and may still buy one now that I'm better heeled than I was in 03. However, I sure don't feel I got beat in the deal I made and I'm not one bit sorry I bought my Pedersoli.

I shoot duplex loads in it all the time and I don't sweat it. 5 grains of RL7 and a case of GOEX is simply not generating any where near max pressure for this action. The cases aren't expanded any greater than straight BP loads, the primers look identical and velocity is within 75 fps or straight BP loads. I am convinced that this is a safe load.

I don't doubt Kenny's accuracy concerning the various strength values of the three actions and lord knows I can't argue with him about acuracy but when I bought my gun, the value was on the side of the Pedersoli for what I intended to do with it. With the decline of the dollar over seas, that seems to have changed things. I also had no idea of the contribution to shooting that Shiloh was making either. So, today, unless I got the same deal or better, I'd go with the Shiloh.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master
    I went to visit Shiloh and C. Sharps in October 2003. After looking around Shiloh, I went to C. Sharps and then headed out of town. Somehow the van made a U-turn and ended up in Shiloh's parking lot. My 50/90 Long Range Express arrived in February 2005.

Shiloh has VERY ENTHUSIASTIC AND OPINIONATED SUPPORTERS because their product is excellent and they really work hard at customer service. When you walk in the door or telephone them, it's like visiting the relatives you like back home. When I overpaid a dollar in cash for a Shiloh belt buckle (shop was crowded with pre Quigley Shoot people) and was in my car, Heather Bryan ran out the door to catch me. Little things sometimes tell you a lot.

Just my experience for what it's worth.

Boolit Master
    To each his own ,my first and hopefully not my last will be a Shiloh in 50-90 . The next if I am fortunate enough to get another may be a C Sharps , it might also be a Lone Star Rollingblock or it might be a CPA 44 1/2 . Or even on a longer shot a Ballard 1885 in 500 Nitro Express . Thing is I haven't had one in my hands that I "didn't like"

However whichever I get or don't get I'll in all likely hood , like it a whole lot
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Super Moderator

................What I thought was interesting was several years ago I was talking to Dave Gullo and he told me he used an IAB Sharps 45-70 to hunt with. He said it was so beat up and disreputable looking that several people thought it was an original conversion Sharps.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by EDK View Post
    I went to visit Shiloh and C. Sharps in October 2003. After looking around Shiloh, I went to C. Sharps and then headed out of town. Somehow the van made a U-turn and ended up in Shiloh's parking lot. My 50/90 Long Range Express arrived in February 2005.

Shiloh has VERY ENTHUSIASTIC AND OPINIONATED SUPPORTERS because their product is excellent and they really work hard at customer service. When you walk in the door or telephone them, it's like visiting the relatives you like back home. When I overpaid a dollar in cash for a Shiloh belt buckle (shop was crowded with pre Quigley Shoot people) and was in my car, Heather Bryan ran out the door to catch me. Little things sometimes tell you a lot.

Just my experience for what it's worth.

I like that,, Tells ya alot about people, try to get treated like that at ( just name a place ) I have been on the phone twice w/ shiloh and have been treated very nice,,,, I just HATE " daudling service" We have a local gun shop here & the employees act like they are doing YOU A FAVOR taking YOUR money.
    "I am Bear Claw Chris Lapp, blood-kin to the grizzly that bit Jim Bridger's ***!"

Boolit Master
    SharpsShooter...how does your BPCRS rating compare with Kenny's?
    Actually, how does all of the C. Sharps (got two words for them...garbage truck!!)
    and Pedersoli achievements compare with the Shiloh records in the game?
    Personally, I think the Bryan's donation policy far outshines everyone else in the game combined. The key here, is to compare the initial cost to the resale value...it's not what you pay for something that matters as much as what it costs you to own it...and resale potential and value. The Pedersoli and Uberti's are only a good deal if they are here and now and under two-thirds the cost of a Shiloh. I can't even find their custom shop or list of options for a rifle on their websites. Oh, they don't have one! Silly me, I thought they would! A twenty-year old Shiloh, in good shape, will sell for about the same price as a brand new one.

Rich
    DRSS

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Idaho Sharpshooter;147963]SharpsShooter...how does your BPCRS rating compare with Kenny's?

It doesn't ....Never shot against him, couldn't say and actually that isn't even the topic at hand. I shoot to compete against myself and no one else. I did the competition route with Hunters Pistol Sillywet many years ago and won the State Championship in my class three years running, but thats a different game entirely........

Actually, how does all of the C. Sharps (got two words for them...garbage truck!!)

Garbage Truck is a bit harsh I'd say. I still say it is the man, not the machine. I feel like if Kenny was to sit down with a C. sharps and develope a load and dedicate the trigger time to the task, he would have no problem posting a respectable score (I suspect he would agree, but is welcome to correct me), perhaps you could also

The key here, is to compare the initial cost to the resale value...it's not what you pay for something that matters as much as what it costs you to own it...and resale potential and value.

Something that nice should not be resold, let's put it on on display and charge admission so the unwashed masses can view it

Call it brand loyalty or whatever you wish. Everyone has limitations on what they are willing to invest in their respective hobby and if they are happy with their choice, who are we to say that our choice is better. Individualism is what keeps the shooting sports so interesting. It would be boring if folks showed up with the same thing on match day. I have rubbed elbows with folks with Hepburns, Shiloh's, C Sharps, High-Walls and Ballards and the gun did not make them better folks. They already were good folks you see. I have yet to meet a BPCR shooter that I'd call snobbish because of what they gun they shot.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Emeritus

Cool

WELL!, have I seen some parochial Sharps Shooters here in this thread.
    I have a solution; you could all send me an example of your most favourite Sharps with a case of ammo and I will do the comparison tests.
    Now, it might take me a while to report back to all of you; maybe a lifetime but even if I have to make the report posthumously; I will.

Just PM me for shipping details,

On a more serious side; I own a Browning BPCR in 45/70 with Badger Barrel (one of the first releases) and a Pedersoli 1874 'Sharps' Business rifle in 45/70 with their 1 in 18.25" twist barrel. This rifle will put ten rounds inside of 1.5" AT 100 Yds.

Now! I display my parochial side; my desire is to own a Shiloh 1874 'Sharps' in 45/70 but I don't at present due to 1) lack of funds, 2) delay between order and delivery, 3) unstable politicians and 4) problems in getting them 'downunder'.
    If one in the apropiate calibre and excellent condition was to appear on the market here, I would find the funds post haste.

Now, don't get me wrong, but the Browning and the Pedersoli are NOT 'SHARPS' Rifles IMO. They are filling a gap and they work. Plus I am enjoying the shooting of cast boolits with both black and white powders. It's the challenge which I am enjoying and maybe a hunt soon.

John

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    SharpsShooter...how does your BPCRS rating compare with Kenny's?
    and Pedersoli achievements compare with the Shiloh records in the game?
    You said "BPCRS", Idaho...if I understand correctly, you are asking for 'results' that pertain to 'Silhouette competition'.

I don't keep up with that kind of information, but Mike Venturino does. Your query reminded me of a recent post of his, so I copied it to paste for you here.

If reading it is too much of a chore, it says that both C. Sharps and Pedersoli were among the top ten guns on the line...and the winner was a Meacham.
    CM

While I'm sitting here this morning trying to avoid doing something useful, I thought it might be informative to post what the top 10 shooters at the BPCR Silhouette Nationals were using in 2006.

I always find this stuff interesting because to do that well those 10 guys had to have been doing something right.

Four used High Walls. Three were custom ones on original actions and one was a Meacham. The Meacham .45-70 was used by David Barnes, the overall winner. 2 used Shiloh Sharps. 1 used a DZ Arms Hepburn. 1 used a CPA Stevens, 1 used a C. Sharps M1875, and 1 used a Pedersoli M1874 Sharps.

8 used .45-70s. 1 used a .40-65 and 1 used a .45-90.

2 used a combination of Paul Jones and RCBS moulds. (The RCBS was for chickens and the PJ for all else.) 2 others used PJ moulds. 2 used Brooks moulds, 1 used Lyman, 1 used NEI, 1 used Borton & Darr, whatever that was, and 1 used "other" whatever that was.

Of the 9 .45 caliber shooters the bullet weights ranged from 500 to 558 grains. The single .40 caliber shooter used a 433 grain bullet.

All 10 shooters used Swiss powder, with David Barnes reporting his was 3F.

Five shooters used Walter's vege fiber wads. 1 said just "veg" wads and 4 used plastic.

Five shooters used SPG. 1 used "Possum Innards" whatever that was, 1 used GS, 1 used Matthews, one used "home made" and one used Knoell.

Four shooters used Starline brass, four used Remington, 1 used Winchester, and one used "Buffalo Arms". (That was the .45-90 guy.)

6 used Federal primers - exact type unknown. 2 used CCI - mostly likely the BRs. 1 used Winchester primers, and winner David Barnes used Remington 2 1/2s.

4 used MVA Soule rear sights, 2 used Hoke, 1 used Kelly, 1 used Ron Long, 1 used Baldwin, and 1 used "other."

The point spread from #1 to #10 was only 4 points - 91 to 87.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Wow! MC, those Meachams are sure fine lookers. I was looking over their sillywet model and noticed that they use Badger barrels as does C. Sharps. Thanks for the 2006 results post too.

Classy rifle doncha think?

SS

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Emeritus
    SharpsShooter; you cerainly know how to make some people jealous. Is it one of yours? Or are you just baiting people?

So don't just keep is in suspenders, give us the biographry.

Looks like a High Wall action with double triggers. And kinda' prutty lookin'.

John.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    I like the Remington "Hotbox" in his avatar, too. Stone ugly, but it has CHARACTER, and that side-lever was the most convenient action of all - until you stuck a case. Had one years back in .45&70, made from pieces of four different rifles, and sorta wish I hadn't traded it off.

floodgate
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by SharpsShooter View Post
    Wow! MC, those Meachams are sure fine lookers.
    Classy rifle doncha think?
    You got me there, SS...that rifle is easy to admire, no matter what you might like best.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post
    SharpsShooter; you cerainly know how to make some people jealous. Is it one of yours? Or are you just baiting people?

So don't just keep is in suspenders, give us the biographry.

Looks like a High Wall action with double triggers. And kinda' prutty lookin'.

John.
    Oh no John...that purty toy is waaaaay beyond my means. Base price for that one is just under $4,000. You are correct, It is a High-Wall with doublesets. I honestly just posted the picture for folks that might have never seen or heard of them I, personally have never laid eyes or grubby paws on one other than the photos.

Here is the URL if ya want to go drool

http://www.meachamrifles.com/

SS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Emeritus
    With some of the websites for makers of Fine Shootin' Iron which I visit; I do have to regularly clean the drool off my computor desk and grubby finger marks off the screen.

No matter; that sure is a nice lookin' piece of work, easy on the eyes.

When I have a chance I will visit their site.

I have a Loooong wish list, short pockets, long arms and too short a life span. Pity there aren't some makers of THAT level downunder.
    Even tho' we do have some good gunsmiths.

John.
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    the "garbage truck" post is an insider's joke...you would have to have been around for the "divorce" to really appreciate it.
    C. Sharps has been for sale for years, and the warranty does not seem commensurate with the price, unlike Shiloh. C. Sharps building in Big Timber is an assembly plant, everything is out-sourced. Shiloh is a factory, things are made there. Their foundry is next door, their wood is shaped there, they even make the screws there. All they buy is wood, and barrel steel. The Bryans are there for the long haul, as a family they will live and die in that town. Once you get past "good enough" the company begins to matter. The Bryans care about what they are building, and the sport; it's not just a way to make money for them.

Rich
    Shiloh fan

I recently picked up my very first 45-70. I went with the Pedersoli "Quigley" and am having a ball with it.

I walked into the store to by a gun, I bought it and I'm shooting it. I live a simple and happy life.

Maybe one day I'll have to try one of the others but I'll be shooting and enjoying my hobby in the mean time.

Bear Claw, I know you've already got your approval from the boss, and I couldn't be happier for you. So I won't throw water on your excitement. I can't wait to hear how your guns shoot for you.
    There is no problem too big that more time and more money can't solve.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast