Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: C. Sharps (the other white meat) long

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 500bfrman View Post
    If shiloh would just make me a 50-140 I could die a happy man

I talked with the people at C Sharps about having them make me a 50-140 before I did anything . And they were very receptive .

However I think the 50-90 I just ordered from Shiloh is most likely gonna be as big as I wanna go
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

. I had a 140 and while it was a blast to shoot it was real spendy a full case of blaclk was in the neighborhood of 150 gns and you needed a lot of lead in front to get a clean burn . my pp bullets ran close to 800 gns . it was a real big push and the rifle weighed close to 13 # . it was easier to shoot than my 11# 50 -90
    my 90 has the old twist and I have a bullet coming for it that will be in the 480 gn range, and pp it will cast to `496-498 wrapped and be as close to origional as I can get it cut.... it should work well in the slow rifleing......Dean
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    Charlie,
    Couple things,
    I have had personal Dealings with Mr John S. and C Sharps Arms in the past that convinced me to get my Sharps elsewhere.

Shiloh has of last count, donated over $400,000 in rifles to this sport and the Firearms-hunting-shooters industry.
    Thanks for the corrections, Kenny.
    It stands to reason that you will be more familiar with the inner workings at Shiloh than I will ever be.

When I first began looking for a Sharps rifle, I didn't know that anyone other than Shiloh existed. Somewhat like you (with C. Sharps), my 'dealings' with Mr. Bryan...and several Shiloh gun owners...convinced me that I would not enjoy being part of that fraternity.

I am aware of Shiloh's habit of providing rifles as prizes at the high profile matches.
    You would probably agree that the $400,000 you mentioned can be spread over a decade (at least)...and I would not be surprised to learn that Bryan's accountant highly recommends the 'donations'.
    Even if listed under the heading of 'advertising', they make a nice deduction from the gross for a sharp businessman.

When I noticed (last month) that you had joined us, I kinda wondered 'why'.
    Being aware of your reputation for fine shooting, extensive experience, and respect from other top-notch shooters, I was surprised to see you 'slumming' among us.
    You have a strong following on several other sites, and you are certainly too expert in the BPCR arena to be searching for help from us.

I supposed (at the time) that your 'look at my medals' opening thread was primarily meant to establish yourself as the irreproachable 'guru' that we had been in need of for so long...someone whose words carried even more weight than the excellent advice we have been receiving from Dale53 (and others).
    When you get around to posting those 'how to' threads which teach us how to increase our expertise, we will be even more thankful for your presence.

Until then, advice like, "As for spending $1800 on a Perdersoli, anyone that does that is nuts." will (I am certain) be much appreciated by all of us.
    CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 01-31-2007 at 02:44 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Shoot Guy"s I didnt want to start a fight

For sure I have read every answer to my post and I value ALL the input good and bad,,NO comments here have so far offended me,,, I guess I belive thats why there is so much diversity to life,,If you like a ford dont buy a chevy.....

As I posted yesterday my problem is over on what to buy, but rest assured if I find a deal on a Pedersoli I would buy one, One poster offered a possable deal on what I am sure is a super nice Shiloh, but after a couple of pm"s we agree"d that it was not for me(And thank you sir for that offer) no harm no foul.

I know two of you have your hackles up a little, but I ask ya please let it slide
    I am gona be new to BPCR shooting/owning and just want all the tips and advice I can get, Thats why I come to this board you are all have insite and x-periance
    to share and most folks can sort the wheat from the chaf, even me, I also read every book I can find on a givin subject.

I am not shooting any one down and thanks to ALL of you for your post"s I will be more than happy to continue talking with any one about this subject, I am becoming obbsessed with BPCR & ofcorse CB"s

Bear Claw
    "I am Bear Claw Chris Lapp, blood-kin to the grizzly that bit Jim Bridger's ***!"

Damn looks like I need to larn ta spel
    "I am Bear Claw Chris Lapp, blood-kin to the grizzly that bit Jim Bridger's ***!"

Boolit Master
    Bear Claw,

Dont ya worry laddie, my hackles are not anywere nears up.

Charlie, dont worry what I am doing here friend, I think its a free forum, And I too Know Dale McGee from many many years ago on Shooters.com, a great guy and one of the most knowledgable shooters around. Like any other shooter I am here to expand my knowledge base it would appear that you are offended by that.

I can stand behind every statement I have made as to Sharps 74's and the manufactor of such. Some of Your statements were incorrect and I simply in a friendly manner pointed out some corrections, so my being here already done some good .

As for my record on helping other shooters, the record is well known, and documented, and pretty plain to see, All one has to do is read. And my plan is continue to do so here also on this forum, when I can. All one has to do is ask or on some questions I will bail in and offer my experiance.

MUCH LIKE I did on this Thread.

AS for me sluming or what ever here on this forum, you must not have too high of an opinion of Cast Boolits then or the posters hereon?

That would be a good indication that this is your problem and not one of mine, and with that I bid you a good day and will refrain from anymore discourse with you on this subject.

However let me say the door is open for any decussions on casting, loading, annealing or anyother bpcr related issues. I am more then willing to share my limited knowledge on anything I can share.

Kenny Wasserburger

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    As for my record on helping other shooters, the record is well known, and documented, and pretty plain to see, All one has to do is read. And my plan is continue to do so here also on this forum, when I can. All one has to do is ask or on some questions I will bail in and offer my experiance.

However let me say the door is open for any decussions on casting, loading, annealing or anyother bpcr related issues. I am more then willing to share my limited knowledge on anything I can share.
    Now there are a couple of invitations that would have really made your introductory thread shine.

I seem to remember seeing your name as one of the people trying out Dan Theodore's grooveless bullets. Maybe I have that wrong. Please correct me if I do.
    But if you DID manage some success with that design, I would certainly like to benefit from your experience...but in another thread, so as not to further hijack this one.

If you have something positive to share, perhaps you could pick up this old thread from last fall...?
    CM

Boolit Master
    Bear Claw,

Have you looked at Bill Goodman's website? He lists what is available and what is coming, and he can add options to his current orders, to meet your needs, which could shorten, or eliminate the wait. Bill Goodman is very easy to talk to. His mark up is $150, seems reasonable to me, you can't expect him to do it for free. I just bought a gun from him, and would not hesitate to do so again. BTW he has more than just Shiloh.

I assume you already called Shiloh to see whats on the shelf, but that changes often, while you are shopping around and weighing input from others, keep calling Shiloh.

BC just remember buy whatever lites your fire, it's your decision and gun.

Charlie,

As I read Bear Claws thread, he asked for input and thoughts on C Sharps, Taylor, Shiloh and others. And as I recall this forum is open for input and opinions. The last being an open ended word. So I don't see how Kenny is hijacking this thread.

Kenny,

I thought your post was very informative and interesting. I have heard folks on this forum and others get their feathers ruffled, but I guess that's everywhere, and I try to just take it like a grain of salt.

I like others am here to learn from others experience, as well as give if I feel I can contribute.

Have Fun Shooting,
    Jon

Boolit Buddy
    Gee, Charlie, you must have had a bad time with one of the Bryans.....I'd love to have a singe-set trigger highwall in 30-40, but 3 or 4 guys I respect have reported such infuriating dealings with John Schofstahl (sp?) of C. Sharps that I won't order one from them as long as he owns the place--hasn't C. Sharps been for sale for years? To their credit, I remember that the editor of Rifle commented a few years ago that a C.Sharps '74 in that he received to test was clearly the finest made rifle ever to enter his office--high praise from someone used to handling fine custom rifles.
    C. Sharps and Shiloh both build extraordinary rifles-I own a Shiloh.

Boolit Master
    I have a C. Sharps Highwall in 45/70 and a '74 C.Sharps in 50/90, and have had good dealings with that outfit, i think that the fact that the barrels for the c.Sharps are made by Badger puts them 1 up on the competition. The fact that the competition gives out guns as prizes only highlights the fact that they may promote their product better. usually both sides of this kind of debate have a stake in it somewhere, my only stake in it is some great hunts I've had with my C. Sharps and would recommend them to all.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    Charlie,
    So I don't see how Kenny is hijacking this thread.
    It was not my intent to say that he did. Actually, I see the conversation between Kenny and me as a 'joint' hijack, which I am to blame for continuing. Thus, my invitation to shuffle over to a different thread if Kenny has anything to say on that topic...and where you are welcome to join in, if you care to tag along.
    CM

Boolit Master
    Bear Claw...
    Heres another consideration "Axtell Rifle Co."
    www.riflesmith.com/rifles.html

I thought C Sharp was a musical note. Not sure if there is one of those on a mandolin? My mandolin playing seems to be stalled on getting the G string tuned. Everybody keeps saying it sounds like my G string is too tight and I've been trying to tune it for years. But I keep getting the same complaint and the darn thing is already so loose that it sags. Thus I haven't progressed to find out if there is a C sharp on it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    I thought C Sharp was a musical note. Not sure if there is one of those on a mandolin? My mandolin playing seems to be stalled on getting the G string tuned. Everybody keeps saying it sounds like my G string is too tight and I've been trying to tune it for years. But I keep getting the same complaint and the darn thing is already so loose that it sags. Thus I haven't progressed to find out if there is a C sharp on it.

And I always thought a "G String" was something a stripper wore
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    Bear Claw,

Have you looked at Bill Goodman's website? He lists what is available and what is coming, and he can add options to his current orders, to meet your needs, which could shorten, or eliminate the wait. Bill Goodman is very easy to talk to. His mark up is $150, seems reasonable to me, you can't expect him to do it for free. I just bought a gun from him, and would not hesitate to do so again. BTW he has more than just Shiloh.

I assume you already called Shiloh to see whats on the shelf, but that changes often, while you are shopping around and weighing input from others, keep calling Shiloh.

BC just remember buy whatever lites your fire, it's your decision and gun.

Charlie,

As I read Bear Claws thread, he asked for input and thoughts on C Sharps, Taylor, Shiloh and others. And as I recall this forum is open for input and opinions. The last being an open ended word. So I don't see how Kenny is hijacking this thread.

Kenny,

I thought your post was very informative and interesting. I have heard folks on this forum and others get their feathers ruffled, but I guess that's everywhere, and I try to just take it like a grain of salt.

I like others am here to learn from others experience, as well as give if I feel I can contribute.

Have Fun Shooting,
    Jon
    Yes sir I did and thanks for the tip, he didnt have what I was looking for but I posted this the other day, Seems my wife had a solution that I cant pass-up...
    So I post it again here for anyone who missed it....

now I need to learn about boolits for them ie: PP cast, etc. guess I better buy some new Books.......

BTW I Have since ordered my Shiloh ( A Quigley ) and will be ordering My C Sharps next week

Hello All

You wont belive this,,, Was telling the wife my problem, She asked if C sharps had what I want in stock ( They Do ) Soooooooo she say's WHY dont you get the C Sharps now AND (rept.) AND pay the deposit on the Shiloh and get them both ( bless her she knows how much I want the Quigley ) She said this way you will have one to play with till the other is ready...........

I think I will keep her......A very Happy Bear Claw

Boolit Master
    MT Chambers,

Quote:" i think that the fact that the barrels for the c.Sharps are made by Badger puts them 1 up on the competition."

Guess I will have to disagree with you on that one.

Check the listings in Creedmoor or perhaps silhouette, Cant find a single C. Sharps in the listings of the winners, not ONE. You will find Pac-Nor barrels, Shilohs Stock Barrels, Kreiger's even the occasional Green Mountain and Badger's but none of them on a C. Sharps.

SO much for the badger puting C. Sharps 1 up on the competition. In Actual Competiton the C. Sharps is not competiting.

Dont get me Wrong Erine Stahlman is a great guy makes Excellent Barrels. I personaly Know Erine, and have one of his fine barrels on my Daughters Hi-wall.

Kenny Wasserburger

PS MC I did post on your bullet Thread!

Kenny

Boolit Master

Well shucks, I guess my 75 C. Sharps that manages 10 shot groups just a bit over MOA with plain old 457125's and goex cartridge while using open sights, should be relegated to use for a fence stretcher. Obviously it isn't good enough for national note.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master

Kenny;
    Thanks for the kind words. Coming from you that is kind of like an Award!

To all:
    Fellers and gals, we are all a bit brand loyal, but we do NOT need to get personal. I have a '75 C. Sharps in 40/65 that is a VERY fine rifle. I have friends that have Shilohs and they point out that the record shows they are fine rifles also. I admit, however, that my favorites are, of all things, a Browning BPCR 40/65 and a Browning Creedmoor 45/90. Yeah, I know, not very traditional (but MY!! how they do shoot!).

This kind of reminds me of Photographers and their equipment. I am a Canon man, but recognize those Nikons are pretty fair cameras, also. To hear some tell it on both sides of the issue, THEIRS is the only brand.

Ford and Chevrolet, same thing.

Please let us keep things civil here. We need ALL of your input. I have learned a great deal from top shooters over the years and truly appreciate it. However, I have had absolute newby's come in with a different perspective and offer a solution that really works to something us "Experts" have been stumbling about for years. So-o-o, we really need EVERYONE to share their experiences. There are things to be learned from all.

Lecture over..., now lets SHOOT!!

Dale53

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    One I've not seen mentioned, is the Garret Arms Sharps. Long out of production now. The one I had years ago, I removed the primer block, and took about a quarter inch out of the hammer throat. Put on an Old Montana Rifle Works, not MRC, checkered the stock properly, and poured a pewter nose cap. Shot very well. It fooled Austin Monck, who owned probably a hundred original Sharps rifles.
    Some argue apples and oranges. For the most part with the BPCR's, it is a good barrel, and the guy behind the rifle, that makes them good or bad.

Boolit Master

Some argue apples and oranges. For the most part with the BPCR's, it is a good barrel, and the guy behind the rifle, that makes them good or bad.[/QUOTE]

Ditto on that. It comes down to the old addage that no one can live long enough to make all the mistakes himself, (trust me I've tried), so why not learn from the other guy.
    I have 2 C-Sharps rifles and am very happy with them. While I'm not on a level with Kenny or Dale and probably never will be I enjoy the game and trying to get the most out of them. In my case the nut behind the butt is the big problem, not the rifle.

Bob

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast