Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 Mag vs the .223

Boolit Master
    Around here in Virginia the 22 WMR is known as a "poachers gun". 223 is considered a legitimate varmit rifle. I have a marlin, a mossy and a savage in 22 mag. LOL and no 223. OK have a 788 in 222 but she aint been out the safe in 15 years. 22 mag., deadly, quiet, light, accurate, easy to carry, and did I say quiet! 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

I bought 1000 once-fired .223 IMI cases for 15 bucks 25 years ago. I still have plenty to load. My first attempt at reloading resulted in 3 shots inside a half inch at 100 meters. I still have that Savage 110 GV with the long Harris bi-pod and 16x scope. Whenever an unwanted critter shows up, the "verminator" takes care of it. I can proudly say that I've never missed with it. One day I would like to be presented with a shot past 200 yards. Although I cast for many of my rifles, I have yet to try it in the .223. Maybe I'll pick up the Bator mold from Midsouth.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    I’d scratch the rim-fire. Would take a close look at the 527 FS chambered in 222 Rem.

Before I started casting I clipped out an article listing reduced loads under 22 Hornet bullets in the 223 Rem. Still have the clipping here stapled into one of my load books after thirty years.
    They list a couple of 22 magnum rim-fire equivalent loads. 40gr Sierra SP Hornet bullet. 10.0 gr 2400 for 1931 fps and 4.0gr Unique for 1355 fps. I still have some of the Unique loads around here someplace. They shot right to the scope. Bullet impact was obviously getting lower as range went out. Out of my ten pound varmint rifle the bullet impacts just appear in the scopes view shortly after trigger pull. it’s strange. I use cast bullets for low intensity loads now days. The Hornet bullets make an easy load if you don’t want to set up to cast 22’s. I shoot my cast over 14.5gr of 4198 at 2123 fps. Plan to try the old 7 ½ grain of Unique load lit with a pistol primer. If I was in a hurry I could set 223 up on my Dillon 550 and run 350 per hour. Makes 22 mag look expensive at $9.50 per fifty count.
    Like this?

Oh yes like that.

You’re supposed to be able to form 222 brass from 5.56mm brass. I’ve heard people say it’s easy and others say it’s not worth the trouble. I picked up a box of one thousand Hornady TAP once fired 223 Rem casings for under fifty bucks last year. With deals like that on 223 brass it’s hard to pass up. Can’t imagine it being that hard. Just step them down incrementally and don’t get lube on the shoulder. Have formed 30-06 brass down for my 243 AI’s to make tight neck brass. Already own the neck turning tools. Personally I just don’t think it’s that big a deal to spend a few hours making up a 100 count box of brass. I liked the 100 piece plastic hinge top boxes for keeping brass I’ve spent hours prepping and sorting out to weight and lot. With small fifty round boxes it’s hard to prevent intermingling when time to reload.

For the well healed you just purchase 300 Lapua cases and they come in 100 count plastic boxes. It’s only $65 per 100 count in 222 Rem. $195 for 300 pieces. 1,000 Remington brand in new 222 or 223 cases is $326. I like my $45 thousand once fired Hornady brass.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Everyone should have a 223. Great little rifle. Just started experiment with Trail Boss. 55Gns went ok, nothing to write home about, the 46 Gn Hornet bullets are next. Chrony down, but I believe they duplicate 22Mag velocities.

You can get a 223 to do what a 22Mag will do, but you can't get a 22Mag to do what a 223 will do.

I used to hunt with 22 Mag level loads in my old 222, using bulk 40Gn 22Mag bullets. Worked ok. If I saw game that was further than 100yds away, I eject the round and loaded a full speed ahead round from the magazine.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I have a .223 and a .22mag. I like them both. Tough choice for me to pick one or the other as both have their uses. Common sense tells me that a .223 would be more veratile since I reload for that cartridge. I do love my stainless Ruger .22magnum though because it weighs next to nothing and is deadly accurate.
    One more thing is that .223 brass is easy to find and relatively cheap.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have a SAKO Quad and my 223 is a tight twist Tikka. The plan is to use the 17HMR and when there is a bit of a breeze about, drop the 22 Mag barrel in. It gets a fair bit of use as pretty much every beginner that turns up at the range gets to shoot it using the 22LR barrel. The 17Mach2 Barrel doesn't see much use, I will have to try it afield. I could always keep it for re-chambering to 17HMR when the HMR barrel loses it's edge. The SAKO Quad is a great concept once you get used to using it.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12