Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: ringed barrel??

Boolit Master

ringed barrel??

Hi all...Been lurking around here for about a year and believe that this is the best forum on the net! Have been reloading for about 30 years and casting for about 25. I wish that the knowledge that is here was available back then!

I just purchased a used Ruger GP100 and fired it today. Noticed that there is a 'loose spot' about half way down the barrel. It is about 3/4 inch long and several thousandths larger than the barrel diameter. What do you all think??
    Shoots very well, no leading with Lee 358-158gr. SWC and 4.5 gr. Universal.

Any ideas would be welcome. And thanks for allowing me to share this board with you!!

Boolit Master
    Welcome aboard! I totally agree about this forum - I sure could have saved some time, aggravation, and money back in the day!

A previous owner probably had a bullet lodged in the bore and didn't realize it. It happens fairly often with inexperienced reloaders - and sometimes with factory ammo, too! Sometimes the barrel bursts, sometimes it just bulges.

Ideally, you should replace the barrel. However, if it shoots well enough to satisfy you, keep shooting it.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    If it shoots well enough to make you happy..Nuff Said keep shooting it.

I would test it bench rest style at least once a year to make sure accuracy does not drop off.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the quick responses. I forgot to mention that it is a SS 6". Tried to mike the barrel, but the spot is under the roll marks. It shoots better than I do even with the flaw in the barrel.

In Remembrance
    A friend has an old pre-war Smith and Wesson .22 target revolver. Had a definite ringed barrel, you could feel it on the outside, and feel and see it in the inside.
    That was one of the most amazingly accurate .22 handguns I've ever shot.
    HeavyMetal and nicholst55 are right. Keep it, shoot as is.

Boolit Grand Master

A minor ring will not necessarily cause accuracy issue. I had a friend with a 1911 with a
    bulged/ringed barrel. Shot perfectly normally, but a lot of gunk did build up in that spot,
    but didn't hurt a thing.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I have a Smith 41 5 inch with a ringed barrel and it will shoot about 3 1/2 inches at 50 yards whereas a good one will shoot about 1 inch at that distance. Some people would never know the difference. I didn't catch on right away but was constantly disappointed with my performance with that gun and blamed the weight. Finally I checked the accuracy and realized it was bad and started looking for the problem. The outside of the barrel is so thick that it is only obvious from the inside. Clearly this happened with factory ammo. -- Bill --

Boolit Buddy

Smile Wheelguns, Pistols and Handcannons

GOOD DAY FELLOW CASTERS/LEAD SLINGERS; QUESTION;??? I recently swapped for a Ruger New Model Blackhawk In .45 LC. I noticed the cylinder
    is ringed down to .452, at the end , wearas the throat is .454,& barrel is .454. NOW, SHOULD I HAVE THE CYLINDER BORED OUT TO .454, OR LEAVE IT AS .452???

THANKS for your wisdom; thebigmac

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP YOUR GUNS..

[COLOR="#FF0000"]MANY YEARS AGO I GAVE AN OATH TO DEFEND OUR CONSTITUTION FROM
    A-L-L TRAITORS, BOTH FOREIGN & DOMESTIC NOW, AT 78, I'M READY AGAIN TO ANSWER THE CALL.
    COLOR]

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

If you are SURE that the groove diameter is .454 (VERY unusual in a Ruger, but these things
    can happen) then you want the throats larger than or equal to the groove diameter for
    best results with cast. Please be certain of your measurements before you do anything.

Do NOT trust calipers, use a .0001" accurate micrometer and slug it multiple times or use
    machinist's gauge pins on the throats. I really worry about people remachining their guns
    when they may not be using good measurement tools and methods, so the really don't
    have a solid handle on what the issues really are.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.