RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: .32's for 32

Boolit Master

Cool .32's for 32

Well, as of a few hours ago, it's my 32nd birthday, so I figured I would celebrate by going shooting in the morning, and taking along some of my .32's.

I'll be updating the thread with shooting results, after my time at the range, but first I thought I'd show a picture of a selection of .32 bullets so that folks who aren't familiar with them all would have a little reference if I talk about them later in the thread. There are a few absent examples from my collection of molds, but this is a pretty good representation of several of the designs available for the .32's.

L-R: .313" RB, custom 80 gn .315 DEWC, lee 85 gn TL DEWC, Lyman 313492 type 3 WC, Lyman 313445 SWC, Lee .314-90 TL SWC, Lyman 313631 GC SWC, Custom 110 gn .315 SWC, RCBS 32-098 SWC, Ideal 31133 HP, Lyman 311008 RNFP, Lee 100 gn .311 RN, Lyman 311410.

The custom WC mold is the most recent addition, it just came in today. The 110 GR SWC mold is also a recent addition, and was made by a custom maker here on the site, but I'm not sure if he's got the time to make more right now, so until he says so, I'll not mention him, other than to compliment the work. The cast iron mold is excellent to use, and the bullet is like a miniature 358477. It shoots very well from my guns

You can see the difference in the nose profile of the 31133 and the 311008, even though they are "supposed to be" the same other than the HP, another case of Lyman's mold cherry changes I suppose. The 311410 I have casts at .3135" and 128 gn. it's a bit heavy and long for most revolvers, but I use it in my .32 rifle to good effect.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Buddy
    What a great idea! Happy birthday!

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice lineup, and Happy Birthday! I have about half of those designs in your photo, and a few others (#311316, #311419). The handcannon folks don't know how much fun they're missing.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Guys!

I agree Al, The .32's are just a joy to shoot!

I'm looking forward to picking up just a few more .32 molds to "complete" the lineup, but I feel fairly well covered at the moment. I thought hard about a 311316, but I tend to like my velocities around 1100 FPS and below, and the 311008 has done so well I didn't feel the need for the GC. I also have an RCBS WC mold on it's way to me, and I swage a few different jacketed bullets for the .32's as well.

Well, it's time to head to the range, it's raining, so I'll probably have to go to the indoor range, but that's okay too.

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Buddy
    Waiting for a range report

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Waiting for a range report
    Just got back, but the wife is taking me to dinner, so the range report will come later.

Boolit Master
    Well, the day at the range was pretty good, it was raining, so I spent my shooting time at the indoor range. Being limited to 25 yards, that's the distance I did 95% of my shooting.

I took 4 .32 revolvers with me, and had much fun making little holes in the paper. Things went essentially as expected, but I did have a few small surprises.

I shot the little I-frame S&W very little, I've had it the longest, and it is a known quantity. I did test a few loads in it, and as always, it grouped everything under 2" at 15 yards, with some things being closer to 1". The exception was the rapid fire duplex loads. The duplex loads I'm talking about are 2 .313" round balls loaded into the .32 long case. I only had a few of these loaded up, so I only fired 3 with the little I-frame. I fired double action at 15 yards, I'm sure they would be closer together if I'd done my part, but I didn't.

I was surprised to see that all 3 shots had the holes touching.

The 4" taurus with the same loads fired at the same range with the same (lack of) care taken, produced 6 distinct holes for the 3 duplex rounds fired. The Ruger shot them the same way that the little I-frame did, but I only had 2 rounds left at that point, so I didn't take a picture of the target.

The next surprise was the Lyman 311410. Loaded over 2 grains of titegroup in the .32 long case, the load is a bit too heavy for the smaller framed guns, but I've used them in my rifle before, and I had a dozen left loaded from the last range trip with them, so I got the wild hair to load them up in my Rossi K-frame sized revolver, and shot them at 25 yards. I was shocked with the results.

I tried the other half dozen in the ruger and they were all tumbling at 25 yards.

I also tried the new wadcutters from the mold that came in yesterday, and found them to be excellent in all of my guns. The below group was shot with the Taurus at 25 yards, but could have been shot with any of the guns I had with me at the same range, except the I-frame that shot them about the same at 15. This was the typical looking group. The Rossi shot a group using the same load that had 5 in less than 1/2" CTC at 25 yards with a called flier that opened it up to 1"

And the last group that I'll show is probably what will become my go-to load for the ruger. It's a 31133 HP over 2.1 grains of tightgroup in the .32 long case. This was a typical group for the load from that gun, some were slightly better, some were slightly worse, but I think that any squirrel within 25 yards had better say his prayers.

I shot a bunch of other stuff as well, but all of that was pretty run of the mill, the .32-098 RCBS will shoot 1.25-1.5" very consistently at 25 yards from any of my larger revolvers, as will the 311008. The custom SWC mold I recently received will outshoot the RCBS by a very small margin if averaging the groups, it also cuts a cleaner hole, and casts 3 at a time instead of 2, so I imagine I'll be using it a fair bit.

The Rossi is still the most accurate of my .32's by a fair margin, consistently delivering groups under 1" at 25 yards with several different bullets and loads, with some groups being smaller yet. The Taurus and Ruger tie for second, and with any luck, all three of them will do some squirrel hunting in the next few months.
    Last edited by NoZombies; 09-08-2011 at 04:58 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice collection and nice groups. I'm jealous.

Boolit Master

Nice guns, groups and write up!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Mold
    Happy belated and thanks for the report. The picture of all the bullets doesn't help with my current level of firearm accessory contentment. You definitely encourage me in all things .32, I just need to get my hands on that Manurhin. I don't know which will come in the mail first, the GB mold from Mihec or the Manurhin. I'll keep you posted.

Boolit Master
    M Jackson, I look forward to hearing about how your Manhurin does! And be sure to post photos!

Boolit Buddy
    Happy Birthday! I like those .32 multiball loads. I have shot some in .38 spl and .357 mag, and seen a number of people make them in .45 Colt, but never seen a .32 version.

Your post inspired me to look around a little, and I found one of those Lee 85 gn TL DEWC molds online for $20 shipped. I will have lots of itty bitty wadcutters soon!

Boolit Master
    That Lee mold is a great find, I paid more than that for my beat up 2 cavity, plus I had to pay to get it shipped from England!

The multiball loads might not be good for much beyond plinking, but hey, a good plinking load with twice the chance of hitting the can aint such a bad thing! I just wish my .313 ball mold was at least a 2 cavity, being a one holer, it takes a bit to get a little pile of balls built up for loading.

Boolit Buddy
    It was really just blind luck that I found it. A member on a forum that I am not a member of had it up for sale and fortunately had included his email address in the ad. I am just getting started into reloading .32 long and mag and so far have just been using the Hornady 90 gr LSW, so these should be a nice change of pace.

Boolit Master
    Those are some nice pics, I wish I could get a wide pic like that and knew how to crop it. But I thought I would add some boolits to the mix. Those nice pics inspired me No Zombies. I like the looks of that custom SWC. Just thought I would add a few that you didn't have pics of. Of course, I haven't gotten to the RN molds yet, or the RCBS 85gr WC mold.
    Pic 1 l-r is Lyman 311419, RCBS 32-90-CM, Saeco 325, Mountain mold custom 100gr SWC( I wish I hadn't sold), my Lyman 313445, and a Ranchdog TLC313-115-RF.

Pic 2 L-R is Lee 32-120-RF group buy, NOE 313640 PB HP, NOE 32 115gr Keith HP PB, Saeco 322, Lyman 311316, and RCBS 32-115-FN.

The noses on the NOE boolits are a little dinged up from the top punch, but I've solved that problem now. Thanks, Billy
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Boolit Buddy
    GREAT report and Happy Birthday.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Guys!

BCall, those are some good looking bullets there! I really, really like the Mountain mold... And the rest look good too. I've been contemplating and looking for a 4 cavity Saeco 325. And those NOE HP's look great too, I'll be getting a copy of the SWC from NOE when the small group buy runs.

I have a lovely 6" S&W 16 that favors 100 - 118 gr bullets on top of 2.6 gr of Clays, always a pleasure to shoot.I got it for my new Grand Daughter and will have it well broken in by the time she gets old enough to shoot.