Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brass ? High End Brass like Lapua VS average Brands?

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    There is an old adage which states, "If you think it helps, it does". I am a firm believer in this philosophy. So if you think spending $2.00 or more, apiece for brass makes you a better shooter, then by all means do so. In 50+ years of shooting, my experience indicates that the case is the lowest member on the totem pole in regard to assembling accurate loads.

Admittedly, the less expensive cases require more prep than perhaps the "premium" cases but since I usually do those kind of things while being dumbed down watching the inane BS on TV, I don't find the prep to be an undue burden.

Case in point is a rifle I built many years ago. It is a 22-308 with a 1-9 twist Shilen Select Match SS barrel. I shoot the Sierra 69 grain bullet and have occasionally kept the 5 shots under 1/4" at 100 yards. Unfortunately, it requires the gods be smiling, or looking the other way or something, because I am really not that good of a shot most of the time. Oh yeah, the brass is RA 70 military brass! Having paid big bucks for premium brass would have been a waste since I cannot do any better.

No, the premium brass would not have allowed me to shoot the small groups more often because when things are going my way, they do, and when not, they don't.
    Last edited by roysha; 11-26-2011 at 11:51 PM.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Buddy
    Sometimes you havn't got a choice! ..Like with 45-120 Brass...And sometimes like with .38 Super +P....Starline Brass is Cheaper than Your Name Brand Factory stuff like Remington/Winchester/Federal!..When you buy it 500 at a time!

Terry
    Last edited by shovel80; 11-26-2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Additional words

Boolit Mold
    Less case prep with the high priced stuff, but I love all the trimming, turning, uniforming, etc. If I were shooting matches and high volumes, I'd go for the good stuff but for my varmint cartridges I can get .25" groups repeatedly with my Shilen barelled tight neck .223AI, 22/250AI and 25/06AI. I end up scrapping about 10% because they are way off on weight or have visible flaws, but that's still a lot cheaper than Lapua.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123