Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: live rounds

Heres a find not even at a place to shoot about 50 feet from the Snake River.....found over 780 LIVE ROUNDS of 17 HMR factory ammo that someone just threw on the ground. It took my daughter and I about 50 minutes to pick all of them up. All the 17 HMR looks like it had been on the ground about 2 to 3 days my guess cause there isnt any of the ammo showing tarnish or brown spots on them.

Here a couple of pics of the ammo. The area in which the ammo was on the ground my guess about 30 by 50 foot area. Some of the ammo were hanging in the tumble weed bushes just like ornaments in a christmas tree.

Still have alot left to shoot up. Oh and no miss fires.
    Last edited by beanflip; 12-20-2011 at 12:04 AM.
    I SHOOT MORE FOR LESS

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible,With Liberty and Justice for all.

Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

GAS--> $1.55--1-18-09

Boolit Buddy
    Speaking of other thing me and my son have found at the range is a 4 # hammer that someone must have used to drive in a target stand. my son found a small swiss army knife. I am wondering if I well find someones gun that hey left at the range someday.........
    Yes my grandma wears combat boots. But remember her carry weapon is a Ruger .454

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    I never fire live rounds I find at the range. I always pull them even if they look like factory rounds. I won't take the chance on what kind of powder charge is inside (I have to assume they may be hand loads). Better safe than sorry.
    me too.
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

Boolit Master

I will shoot 22 rimfires I find everything else is tore down this year I found a 357 mag with some kind of yellow gunpowder in it? It burned VERY fast when I touched a match to the powder spilled on the ground.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    When I pick up brass from the shooting pits out in the desert, I usually find at least 1 live .22rf. I occasionally find other calibers as well. Over the years, I've collected about 2 quarts of live ones. I haven't decided what to do with them yet. Some day I'll probably recover the components, but I haven't tried it yet.
    Same Here, I have a small box of live ammo from the range grounds that I don't have any idea what I'll do with it. I don't plan on shooting it in any of my guns. But I can't and won't leave them for the Lawn mower or innocent/curious child.

Last year I found two boxes mostly full of 243 WIN re-loads with the plastic boxes and load recipe and 2 or 3 fired cases with cracked necks. These looked very age tarnished. these weren't even in the trash, just laying on a woodpile like they got forgot. I pulled the bullets and deprimed, dumped the powder, annealed the necks, resized and someday they'll get reloaded.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Like most others I would fire found 22 rimfire in a not to expensive rifle but would never trust unknown (likely) reloads. There are some folk's out there with twisted minds that may think that a double or triple charge found round would make an interesting news story.

Back in the early 80's I managed an indoor range and most days found numerious 22 LR when sweeping up the firing range floor,these got emptied in the range's bolt action rental gun.

Well I was a virgin atleast here but no longer.

Boolit Master

I just recently cleand out the clubs indoor pistol range brass bin marked " no live ammo" because a fourm member was looking for fired 22 lr brass . in that lot of 28 lbs of brass there was 73 rounds of live ammo all 22lr + 1, 9mm the primer/ rim was not struck on about 1/2 of the ammo the others were missfires but would probley of gone off if hit in another place on the rim.
    I also see live ammo on the other clubs ranges almost every time i go , more so with 22lr.
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 02-14-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Boolit Master

{{{Cough-cough}}} (Waving the dust away)

I get numerious pickups of .22LR to "cycle" in my Ruger at the end of the day. Most are from FTF's and feeding issues. Folks just cycle the action and go on. Good enough for me, toss a few clays on the berm and pop away.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Grand Master
    Many years back, some guy found a box of rifle ammo left on the table of a public range. "Hey, free ammo!" Seeing as his gun was the same caliber, he decided to shoot it. The guy chambered a round from the box and promptly blew his gun to pieces. He had to be transported to ER.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't even have to hunt for mine. People are always bringing old ammo up to the shop to be disposed of. They seem to really hate paper shells. My shot gun loves em
    "Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."

Boolit Master
    For center fire, metallic ammo I inspect, disassemble and salvage. No exceptions!

I remove the boolit using a Hornady collet type puller; NEVER an inertia (hammer a looking thingy) boolit puller. Dump powder in garden. A handy magnet will seek out steel core boolits for segregation. Some ranges do not allow such things.

Inspect case to determine Boxer primer or not. Eye and facial protection is manadatory. Remove primer with Lee universal de-primer. A cautionary caveat here: the de-priming proceedure is done in the fashion of a pair of porcupines making passionate love: carefully, very carefully. Operate the handle of your press with a slow, steady pull until the primer is free of the pocket. Mil-surp, crimped primers require even more caution to avoid a "POP". The 'pop' event may not reverse your blood flow, but I always caution a newbie to expect this. We have no way of knowing how sensitive an unknown, lightly struck primer may behave. Despite my not having leveled my man-cave to splinters doing the above, I suggest caution and carefull attention to any new comer.

Still in doubt? Toss it out!

My two sou,
    Wt.
    "Only when the Muslims (Arabs) begin to love their children as much as they hate us, will there be peace."
    Golda Mier

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
    Luca Scato

Boolit Master

It must be the way human nature is. I also find ammo laying around the range. Mostly .22 LR.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Buddy
    Mal Paso can testify that I'm beyond counting individual drops- I now go by weight. Right now I'm at about 33 pounds. They're mostly pistol- but expensive stuff like silvertips and Barnes. Plenty of .223 and 7.62x39. I've stopped picking up the 22s- too many. I won't shoot them but will (eventually) pull them.
    NOI- it's what's for dinner

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    For what it is worth... I will NOT fire ammo that is not known unadulterated commercial or that I reloaded myself.

That means no - NO - reloads from friends, from the range, from gunshows or from "Hairy Ned" himself.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Master at heavens range
    10 + years ago I picked up alot of brass at Daytona- Fl., went home with a 5 gallon bucket full, The range master said they took a bobcat and pushed the brass over in the sand off range.

Boolit Master
    Quite a few years ago, I worked as a hand loader for a small re-loading company. We only dealt in pistol ammunition, and were housed in the back room of an indoor gun range. The company recycled brass fired at the gun range, tumbled, re-loaded, packaged, and then sold it economically to people who would shot at the gun range. We also sold a fair amount at gun shows, and to a few other ranges as well. I got to see first hand just how much brass can move through a small indoor gun range.

One of the employees, who worked there as a case sorter, manged to darn near fill up a shoebox with an assortment of varying kinds of 38 caliber ammunition left by other shooters from the range. He occasionally would even fire some of the ammo he found. I remember the box quite clearly because one day he up and gave me the partially full shoebox.

It was full of 38 wad cutters, 38 S&W, 38 short colt, mostly 38 Special, 357 Magnum, and I remember a few long .357 Maximum in the box as well as some accidental rimless auto stuff that he also slipped .380, and other similar sized ammunition especially if it had a 3 or an 8 in the head stamp someplace.
    (I never said that he was smart, he was just a case sorter after all)

Everything ended up in there from brass, steel case, to aluminum, military, surplus, AP or sintered iron, nickel, self defense frangible, HP fodder, lead free, lead, and jacketed ammo. The sheer variety of what people left behind was impressive. I was often shocked at what people showed up with and shot on the range (even stuff they weren't supposed to be using) and what they left behind as well. We found the strangest things in the floor sweepings besides just cartridge brass and live ammo (the most common was 22LR). We would find gun parts too, like pistol sights, barrel bushings, springs, slide locks, safety's/de-cockers, magazine floor plates, and once time even pieces of a revolver cylinder.

Shooting, or not shooting found ammo is a judgement call. Personally, after seeing a few injuries from handguns go Ka-boom at the range, often from an unchecked squib bore obstruction, then a firing a second shot, I have become a LOT less trusting when it comes to unknown ammunition. I also check to make sure the barrel is clear to the point of paranoia.

I don't care if what I find looks like factory ammunition, or a nicely assembled and tumbled hand load. I have seen enough mistakes that I am distrustful to the point that I pull anything I find, and break it down into it's base components for re-use, recycling, or to throw away.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Don't any of you have a collection of different calibers and types of ammo for a display board or just to illustrate to the uneducated what the differences are? Shucks some of that stuff is collectable in its own right.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I find live ammo at our range almost every time I go but it's a big range and I'm at least several of the stations each visit.
    I found a reloaded 9mm round last time that the primer was in backwards. I pulled the bullet the other day from that round. The bullet was a FMJ target bullet. Whoever loaded it had used so much taper crimp that the case was almost flush with the outside diameter of the bullet. The bullet had a definite deep crimp ring embedded in it.
    I almost took pictures of it from start to finish to post here.
    I don't shoot ammo that I find on the ground. If it was reloaded, did the person who loaded it know what he was doing?
    I do collect 22 rim fire that I find. I'll trust that.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Don't any of you have a collection of different calibers and types of ammo for a display board or just to illustrate to the uneducated what the differences are? Shucks some of that stuff is collectable in its own right.

Yes I do. And some of it I dont even know what it is! But it still lives in a box, as I dont have any idea how to arrange it. LOL

But that is the ONLY use I have for range pickups, other than as components. I like all my parts attached just as they are now, and I dont want someone else's mistake or booby trap to re-arrange them. I disassemble any and all range finds and re-use the brass.
    Better safe than sorry!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Quote Originally Posted by km101 View Post
    Yes I do. And some of it I dont even know what it is! But it still lives in a box, as I dont have any idea how to arrange it. LOL
    Here are some sites to visit:

http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=reference

http://www.ecra.info/start.php

http://www.ammunitionpages.com/

http://www.gunsgunsguns.com/gunhoo/a...ollectible.htm

http://www.municion.org/

Just what you need another hobby!
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast