Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything PBcastco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H&R handi in 35 Whelen

Boolit Master

My REM 700 in .35 Whelan never misfired. But I only used Remington Factory ammo & cases.
    Neck-sized brass only, never had a problem. But the extractor probably held the case head tight to the bolt face.
    By the time I got around to sending my .223 Handi back for a .35 Whelan bbl, it was too late.

Parrot1969 is right about one thing.
    The Original 250gr Factory RN Load does shake your Head and Rattle your brain. And cause your eyes to cross. But it only takes 2-3 minutes to recover for the next shot.

The 200gr RN #358318 Is a great plinker.
    Geez I miss that Rifle.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by s mac View Post
    So, if I neck size, using my fl sizing die by not pushing the case fully into the die, maybe resolving the problem?
    The primer strike looks pretty normal, sometimes a second try will go off, sometimes not. It is an intermittent ftf.
    That will probably solve your problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In Remembrance

When you first fire form your brass, lightly lube the case necks so that the shoulder forms properly without stretching the case head. There-after only neck size your cases. Lee used to make a .35 Whelen collet die for neck sizing, I believe it is a special order item these days. Low-pressure cast boolit reloads can also cause shoulder set back as well. Avoid them with the "standard" .35 Whelen and you should be OK.

Banned

I have a .35 Whelen Handi rifle. So far I've only plinked with it using various .38 revolver bullets and 10-11 grains of 700X and similar. Shoots alright with those. One day I'll have to try it out with some "real" loads.

Maintaining headspace has been a major bugaboo of the .35 Whelen from day one. The traditional fix is to ream it out to .35 Whelen Ackley Improved, which sharpens the shoulder angle so it doesn't get set back with cast bullet loads.

Use pistol primers for any real light plinking loads.
    Last edited by uscra112; 11-06-2019 at 12:23 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

The H&Rs almost all have one problem in common and a couple Others that are common.

WEAK MAIN SPRINGS. Change that out with a Wolfe extra power offered at Brownells and Midway.

Check the firing pin protrusion. its adjustable on transfer bar guns by removing material from the top Of the hammer where it contacts the frame. You want at least .045 but some Need as Much as .060 for reliability.

Be sure that you are completely pulling the trigger back. This is not a finely built custom trigger. On Some Guns, If you pull to break and release the T bar can sometimes drop and you get a miss fire.

S-mac, Its likly that you formed the cases and set the shoulder back too far as Curator mentioned.

With a long cast and light loads you can force head space with a long seated bullet and fire form these to your chamber.

Neck sizing is NOT ADVISABLE in a Handi. See the frames do spring a bit and and need at least partial sizing and occasional FL to restore the size. Of coarse dependent upon the intensity of the loads. I would smoke a case that was fired in that chamber and carefully adj the sizer to kiss the shoulder and lock it down.

Been down this road dozens if times. the Whelen is a good one, but has had a rough time in the Handi. BTW the 35 Rem is really no better and for same reasons. Its simply not as wide spread. I re chambered mine for a 356 as Rims are better in Handis.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Not on a Handi but an old rifle that would occasionally not make contact on the primers with enough authority, a little dot of paper from a hand held hole puncher in the primer pocket would prevent the failures to fire. Not a perfect solution but something to consider. But then again you might just accentuate the problems because the .35 isn't a rimmed case. With cast at least there's the option of using rifling contact to assure the case base is where you want it.

Hey by the way, are yall trying paper patched soft lead in those .35's?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12