Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R handi in 35 Whelen

Generous Donator

H&R handi in 35 Whelen

Are these any good. I have a line on one and I have these in 30-30, 308, 243, 357 mag and Max, 44 mag and 45/410. I wish it was a 35 Rem but I'd like to know if they shoot good enough before I spend the money.
    Thanks, Mark

i have a handi in .223 bull barrel ,44 mag and 45/70gov .12 guage scattergun i havent shot
    the 44 mag but all the others shoot wonderfully esp my .223 ,1'' at 100 yards ...if i could do my part it would be better ..buy it

you do know handi rifle has an barrel exchange program you can buy a fitted barrel to your existing rifle ...

Generous Donator

Quote Originally Posted by badbobgerman View Post
    you do know handi rifle has an barrel exchange program you can buy a fitted barrel to your existing rifle ...
    Yes. I sent one back for the 357 mag, 45/410 and 44 mag barrels. I wasn't too happy that they were out of the 45 colt barrels.

Boolit Master

.35 Rem

Crazy -

Howdy !

As an aside, there are some .35 Rem- chambered Handi Rifles to be found in MS.
    Van's Deer Processing in Brandon, MS is one place.
    Apparently, these were made for MS " primitive " deer season.

Over-the-phone, Van's quoted $359 for a combo .35 Rem & .444 Marlin set.
    Rifle has " composite " stock and is camoflaged.

.35 Rem barrel length is quoted as 20". I have not found out twist rate yet, but would imagine the .35 Rem would be 1-16.

Don' t mean to hijack the post ! Thought you might want to know.

With regards,
    357Mag

Generous Donator

Quote Originally Posted by 357Mag View Post
    Crazy -

Howdy !

As an aside, there are some .35 Rem- chambered Handi Rifles to be found in MS.
    Van's Deer Processing in Brandon, MS is one place.
    Apparently, these were made for MS " primitive " deer season.

Over-the-phone, Van's quoted $359 for a combo .35 Rem & .444 Marlin set.
    Rifle has " composite " stock and is camoflaged.

.35 Rem barrel length is quoted as 20". I have not found out twist rate yet, but would imagine the .35 Rem would be 1-16.

Don' t mean to hijack the post ! Thought you might want to know.

With regards,
    357Mag
    Thanks for the info. I will check that out. Don't know what I would do with the 444 barrel though. I guess I could sell it.

Boolit Master

.35 calibre Handi Rifle

Craze' -

Howdy, again......

Yeh, me too. I myself don't have an interest in the .444 barrel.

Did also read where there were some .35 Rem Handi's @ Pawn Shop(s) in the
    greater Brandon, MS area.

If you verify the twist rate, I'd be interested to know.

With regards,
    .357 Mag

Go with the 35 whelen. Its a very powerful round and my hadi does ok with it. Using 57 grains of varget and a 200 grain bullet, I get 1 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. The bullet is making about 2700 fps. Keep in mind that 35 whelens are long throated so heavier bullets should yield better accuracy. I have not tried the 250's myself. Recoil from the 200 grain bullets will " make you see dead people" and since I have no desire to see the crucifaction of christ, I leave the 250's alone.
    I would like a little lube with my OBAMA CARE!

Parrott - Like your description of the 35 Whelen. LOL

I, too, am considering the 35 whelen, but already have a 30-06 that will come very close to the same preformance with a 200 grainer. Don't need any more WHOPP'EM that for my shoulder!

Yea but you dont see dead people!! And I get to use it during primitive weapon season. I once pulled the trigger on a handi 45-70 with 52 grains of 4198. Swear that I saw Abe deliver the emancipation proclaimation.
    I would like a little lube with my OBAMA CARE!

In Remembrance

I just bought a 45 LC ONLY barrel from a fellow over at graybeards. And, a 50 S&W Magnum barrel, and a 270 barrel, and a 45-70 barrel. Lots of folks with lots of barrels and good advice there.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy mark View Post
    Yes. I sent one back for the 357 mag, 45/410 and 44 mag barrels. I wasn't too happy that they were out of the 45 colt barrels.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

Sorry for the double post. Just be aware of this from H&R regarding the 35 Whelen:
    ----------------------------------------

Service Notice
    9/13/10
    To: H&R 1871 Dealers
    Subject: 35 Whelen Handi-rifle
    H&R 1871 has recently identified a small number of Handi-rifles in 35 Whelen caliber produced between March 2010 and September 1st that could fail to fire under normal shooting conditions. This malfunction presents no danger to the shooter, and the outcome is simply the firearm may fail to fire. The necessary repair changes have been identified to correct this malfunction.
    The affected guns are limited to the following H&R skus: 72540, 72612, 72412, 72614, 70705, 72541 If you have a customer return a H&R 35 Whelen rifle, and they have experienced a “fails to fire,” please have the rifle returned to:
    H&R 1871
    Attn: Arm Service
    14 Hoefler Ave
    Ilion, NY 13357
    We will make the necessary repair adjustments to the rifle at no charge and return to the sender as expeditiously as possible.
    Any rifles that you have received after September 15th, were produced with the corrective actions in place and this malfunction should not be an issue on these rifles.
    If you have any questions or if we can be of further service to you, please feel free to contact us at 1-866-776-9292 , prompt 4, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm EST. Please check out our website at www.hr1871.com

Thank you,

Consumer Service Division
    H&R 1871

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Quote Originally Posted by parrott1969 View Post
    Go with the 35 whelen. Its a very powerful round and my hadi does ok with it. Using 57 grains of varget and a 200 grain bullet, I get 1 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. The bullet is making about 2700 fps. Keep in mind that 35 whelens are long throated so heavier bullets should yield better accuracy. I have not tried the 250's myself. Recoil from the 200 grain bullets will " make you see dead people" and since I have no desire to see the crucifaction of christ, I leave the 250's alone.
    You killed me with your analogy lol

So I take it the 300Gr 358009 would be a bit much lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Buddy

H&R Barrel part Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by crazy mark View Post
    Are these any good. I have a line on one and I have these in 30-30, 308, 243, 357 mag and Max, 44 mag and 45/410. I wish it was a 35 Rem but I'd like to know if they shoot good enough before I spend the money.
    Thanks, Mark
    I have one, I also have a .35 Rem barrel.....These are available from H&R (unless they sold out ), these were received this spring....
    .35Rem - Part # F404489 (22"Drilled)
    .35Whelen- Part # F404326

Sorry, no range report, I still haven't got sights of any kind on these barrels. I have formed brass for the Whelen out of once fired Rem.06 brass, loaded a few with .357 cast Lee Bullets...Someday I'll try em out. Too many guns waiting to be fired around here...PJ
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR

Boolit Buddy
    I have owned 3 NEF whelen chambered rifles. Haven't had one go bang reliably yet. Failure to fire, either from transfer bar issues or headspace problems. That seems to be one caliber that NEF just can't get right. I love the caliber, so I bought a CVA Scout. So far so good with it

Boolit Buddy

Mark old friend, if you do get the rifle, and if you do decide you want to try the 358009, or the SAECO 248gr, or even the RCBS 205gr. just let me know and you can borrow any, or all of my moulds.

I have been shooting the .35 Whelen for years, as you probably already know, and, IMHO, it is top shelf with about any weight cast boolit.
    Still yet, with one of my Whelens, it loves the heavy weight 358009 at 280gr, the other seems to prefer the SAECO 248 gr....and they both have 1:12 twist....go figure!

I have two Handi rifles, one in .280 and one in 45-70. so since I have two bolt guns in .35 Whelen I have never really pursued an extra barrel in that caliber for the Handi, but that has never stopped me from wanting one.

In fact, I recently heard that NEF had once again added the .35 Whelen barrel to their accessory bbl program, sooo, if I'm a good boy for the rest of the year something good might happen for Christmas....maybe.
    (I don't know this to be a fact, but the person that told me this said he had one "fitted" earlier this year, and I took that to mean they were available again. Right now I'm thinking "fitted" and "new" may not have the same meaning.)

Anyway, if that barrel has iron sights on it, I simply can't imagine a better rifle for about any kind of hunting here in the Pacific Northwest.
    I have a scope on my .280 and, to me, that took all the "Handi" right out of it, but for that caliber, and the 26" bbl, I suspect a scope is okay, but a nice set of irons will get the job done too.

Russ
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

I know this is an old thread, came up when I did a search for my problem came up. I bought this rifle new a couple of years ago, formed cases from new 30-06 brass. Other than a stiff trigger the occasional failure to fire is the only issue. Anyone have a fix? Rifle only had a couple of hundred rounds through it, all cast handmade, don't think I have any broken or worn parts.

Boolit Master

I have both, and shooting cast I use the same bullet and push them to about the same velocity. With jacketed bullets the 35 Whelen is the winner.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

In Remembrance

The occasional failure to fire is usually due to the very small shoulder on the .35 Whelen's case being pushed back when the cases were resized. The .35 Whelen headspaces on this small shoulder and if set back, the case falls more deeply into the chamber where the firing pin can barely reach it. The .35 Whelen Ackley Improved has less body taper and a 40 degree shoulder that makes it easier to retain the proper headspace, eliminating light primer strikes and failures to fire.

So, if I neck size, using my fl sizing die by not pushing the case fully into the die, maybe resolving the problem?
    The primer strike looks pretty normal, sometimes a second try will go off, sometimes not. It is an intermittent ftf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast