Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Ladle use with MiHec molds

Boolit Mold

Ladle use with MiHec molds

Hello,

I just received two amazing molds from MiHec and I have a question.

I noiticed that on the sprue plate the section between cavities forms a very short barrier but it also has a cut out to allow (theoretically) between them. I know the H&G molds have a "trough" along the sprue plate between cavity holes. Any one use just ladle pour with these molds? I'm brand new to bullet casting so would appreciate any advice.

Rene

Boolit Grand Master

I cast with nothing but ladle. It is a large ladle that holds about a pound of lead.

I have 3 Mihec moulds and they work just fine with my ladle.

They are beautiful moulds aren't they?

Are yours brass Cramer style hollow point or solid?

If Cramer HP, you will likely find you have to run a little hotter than typical recommended temperatures and cast fairly fast and steady.

I pre-heat my moulds on a hot plate then when I get casting I keep up a steady rhythm. Once the mould and pins are hot they cast and release very well.

If your mould is HP you might just give the pins a light wipe with the mould lube Mihec supplies. That should help make sure the boolits release well.

Enjoy!

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the advice , Longbow. Mine molds are solid.

Rene

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned, I use the ladle for everything. I tried a bottom pour pot and did not like it. I find a ladle simpler and easier. Also, for large boolits and multi cavity moulds I find I can pour quicker with a ladle. That may depend on the pot/nozzle but in any case a ladle does what I want.

If your mould is aluminum and solid, it may not need the extra heat ~ my Mihec 6 cavity aluminum casts about like most other moulds. If it is brass it will still like the heat and fast casting. I don't have a Mihec solid in brass but I do have an Accurate solid in brass and it behaves the same as the brass Mihec Cramers.

I guess I could have said that in the first post. In short, brass moulds seem to like heat and continuous steady casting.

In any case, you have a terrific mould that should produce flawless boolits if you run it right.

Let us know how it goes.

Longbow

In Remembrance

I don't use the trough in the sense that you mention it.
    That is, I don't fill the molds by pouring hot lead on the sprue plate, and hoping it flows into the cavities properly.

I do, however, overfill the cavities until they flow into that trough, such that adjoining cavities have connected sprues to be cut later. That way, I am dealing with one longer sprue, instead of a bunch of smaller hershey kisses.

So, I think of that trough as a way to join the overflows.

I pour directly into each cavity.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER