Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Practice!

Boolit Master

Practice!

My son and I have gotten most of our equipment together to try our hand at casting. We have two molds from Mihec. After seeing a lot of info on this site and reading past posts we decided to set everything up on our table(inside under ac). We started dry running through the steps if as we were actually casting boolits. It has helped a lot. This way we won't have to learn with a mold full of hot lead. I got to thinking though,are we possibly hurting the molds by doing this. They are opened and closed as if you were cutting the sprue and dumping bullets. What do you guys think?
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    No more than using them will. I suggest using lead, watching it solidify to a glazed silver appearance, then cutting the sprue. There's a certain rhythm to it. That will take practice all by itself. It isn't something really hard to do, if you use an alloy that's the same all the time.

I started casting just after reading the Lyman "Cast Bullet Handbook #3" by myself. If a guy can figure out how to make bullets on his own, about anybody can.

Oh, nice avatar. Lon Cheney? the real Wolfman?
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master
    Lon Chaney Jr. You are correct,give that man a cigar. I am looking forward to our first casting (when it cools off some) Just gathering equipment has been a blast.

Boolit Master

slide,

That's an excellent idea and won't hurt your moulds a bit.

One tip I have for you is that I am absolutley wonderful at knocking stuff over, bumping into things, stubbing my toe. With that in mind, casting on a table makes me nervous and I would just hate dumping over a full pot of lead. I try to use something like a bolted down bench or something really heavy to set my pot up on.

Good luck, enjoy casting with your son and welcome to the site too.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    We thought about the pot too. Screwed it to a piece of 2x6 and clamped it to the table. It is a good idea to check the clamps sometimes. How do you secure your pot?

Boolit Grand Master
    Since my bench is made out of recycled 2x6's, I drilled a hole on each side fo the base of the Lee 4-20 and use a couple of drywall screws to secure it.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    We thought about the pot too. Screwed it to a piece of 2x6 and clamped it to the table. It is a good idea to check the clamps sometimes. How do you secure your pot?
    I bumped the bench once and saw how easy it would be to tip over the pot (Lee 4-20) so I drilled a couple holes in the base and ran wood screws through the base and into the bench top (better a couple small holes in the bench top than 20 lbs of hot lead sloshing around!)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Like was said above, screws work wonders.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    I got to thinking though,are we possibly hurting the molds by doing this. They are opened and closed as if you were cutting the sprue and dumping bullets. What do you guys think?
    Won't hurt anything but I highly recommend using the sprue plate lube that came with the molds. Keep opening and closing the sprue dry isn't something I would do with a brass or aluminum mold. Wouldn't run your car engine without oil would you?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member