Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersPBcastco
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Quick chamber length question..

Boolit Buddy
    Living in the woods, foothills of the Appalachians.

Quick chamber length question..

I am trying to determine the chamber length of my Remington 1900 shotgun (steel barrels, not damascus) because I am working up some blackpowder paper loads.

Alot of people have suggested that older shotguns chambered in 12 gauge have chamber lengths all over the place, 2-1/2", 2-5/8" and 2-3/4" being the most common. From my understanding, chamber length is measured by the length of a FIRED shell? So theoretically, if my gun chambers a 2-3/4" round, that doesnt mean it is necessarily safe for a 2-3/4" shell. So I placed a 3" shell in the gun, and it chambered fine. Does that mean, I am probably safe to use a 2-3/4" shotshell, as the UNFIRED length on a 3" shell is approximatly 2-3/4"?

I tried to run the butt end of a dial caliper end to what I could observe was the 'chamber end' and though not exactly precise, was definatly over 2-5/8" and I believe like 2.70". Am I safe for 2-3/4" shells??

Boolit Master

It could also be 2 9/16

If you know anyone that hunts waterfowl
    Ask if they have a 3.5" 12 gau empty

Expand the crimp with a wad pushed in backwards

And push it into the chamber
    When you feel the slightest resistance
    Mark the hull and see what your chamber length is

And it might even take the whole 3.5" hulll

As I have a old FAKE Parker SxS , posibley Belgium made
    That the chambers are 3"+
    But it is labled 2 3/4"

I feed it lite loads , in 2 3/4" paper hulls
    It still kills birds

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

I have had guns that were stamped 23/4" and i could slip a fired 3" hull completely in the chamber with no evidence of the crimp area ever coming into contact with the forcing cone. Your best bet is to take it to a gunsmith. That being said, i have fired 2 3/4" loads in guns from the late 1800's without any problems except one and that was a nice husqvarna that the barrels separated from the rib. BTW i used to tie them to an old tire and fire them by remote and then inspect the hull to see if there was any evidence that the crimp didn't open completely. This does not work with light loads though because they will give the false impression that the crimp was bound by the forcing cone. Use a standard heavy load for the test.

In the past, I've cut chamber gauges out of aluminum round bar. Having now found out about the method that Johnch uses, I think that I'd simply do it his way in the future.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    The standard for 12 gauge of that era was 2 5/8", and that is what my 1900 measures. That does not mean that it could not be some other length, but would be very unusual if it were. Remington quit making double shotguns in 1910, that was before the 12 gauge chamber was lengthened to 2 3/4" standard, but someone could have run a reamer in it.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    I Saw a guy do it this way on Youtube.
    1=Cut off a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge and tape the 20 gauge up until it fits snug inside the 12 gauge.
    2=put them together and extend out beyond 3-1/2-4". Put the assembled tool into the chamber until flush.
    3=Take it out and measure.
    4=Some guys were saying that the chambers they checked this way were all a little long. Does this mean I would shoot a 3" in this gun-not me!
    The part of the 12 gauge shell that comes up against the forcing cone is the thick plastic part of the compression formed AA hull so it isn't squeezing itself down for sure. I put a piece of tape on the front of the 12 gauge shell to push against with a dowel. The 20 gauge doesn't come close to even touching the chamber walls. Seems to beat paying big bucks for a tool. Try it, you'll see.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cut off and taped 20 gauge.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	121657Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12 gauge AA cut off just above the head.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	121658Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Now put one inside of the other and stretch out.jpg 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	121659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Now shove it into the breech until flush.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	121660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LIke This.jpg 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	121661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chamber measures 3 inches.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	121663