Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got an odd call from daughter #1

Boolit Master

I got an odd call from daughter #1

My daughter was out riding around with her Hubby and Kids 5 when they saw a flock of chickens wandering along the side of the road getting run over by cars passing. So they stopped and began to try to chase them out of the road. There were no houses along the stretch and the chickens had the appearance of being neglected and abandoned there. It was a circus for a while then they started to jump at the van as if they wanted to get in. It was getting dark and they wanted to roost I guess. So they opened the door and they did jump in.
    She lives in a city and houses are cramped and the city knows your every move so she called and asked if she could keep them at our house. I had just bought eggs for $2 a dozen and so I said sure. We built an enclosure and made them a roosting area in the shed and bought feed and now they are our guests. Her 5 kids and our 3 have named them all multiple times and I keep saying they are all named chicken as far as I am concerned.
    I have already found out we will have to clip some wings as a 4' high fence is not an absolute deterrent to them escaping. So now I am a chicken rancher, YEEHAW.
    my daughter said she thought they were all hens but I think at least two are not hens, just from observing them a little. They look somehow a little more delicious than the others. No eggs= no free lunch for you. The adventure continues.

Boolit Master
    You may have a up coming problem with Coons.. Small cans of nasty - cheap sardines, covered with "Marlin Fly Bait" purchased at the locall feed mill, etc. They will be dead within feet of bait site. P.S. all cats , dogs and other warm blood animals will also. be careful with your bait site..Skunks also.....just a tip...

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Keep one of the delicious ones around, to keep the hens happy!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    If you do, learn to candle eggs. That is, if you hold them in front of a bright light you can see if they are fertilized. If you are gonna be a chicken rancher you need to propagate the herd, no?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    just outside Sulphur Springs in north east Texas
    If you have a delicous one, as you put it all the eggs are fertilized already.They eat the same.
    God is good all the time

Boolit Mold
    Must be some of those "free range" chickens that the politically correct crowd talk about!

Boolit Master
    Don't forget about flying predators,mainly horned owls. If you have some birds come up missing they have been carried off. Live traps will work for the ground varmits.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    You may have a up coming problem with Coons.. Small cans of nasty - cheap sardines, covered with "Marlin Fly Bait" purchased at the locall feed mill, etc. They will be dead within feet of bait site. P.S. all cats , dogs and other warm blood animals will also. be careful with your bait site..Skunks also.....just a tip...
    “Marlin”?

Or “Malrin”?

Might be a good idea to keep the chickens from eating the deceased flies.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master

Daughter #1 is kind of crunchy, I think poison would freak her out pretty badly. (And I would not want an accident to happen to the neighbors dog, I need their good will for several reasons.) She sprung for the extra cost of organic raised feed.

Save the marlins.

Boolit Master

I raised chickens for fun and the eggs back in Vermont in the 80's. I quickly learned to construct a secure chicken wire cage with wire over the enclosure and with additional reinforcements at the ground level. We had skunks, racoons, bobcats, coyotes feasting on our guests.

Then we had the flying predators. Eagles, owls and hawks. Until I erected ovehead chicken wire I would helplessly watch as our guests were picked off one by one. We got day old chicks and raised them up from there. The funniest thing is to watch a plate full of spaghetti dissapear as the chickens devour it.

Good eggs and non producers taste very good.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    My daughter was out riding around with her Hubby and Kids 5 when they saw a flock of chickens wandering along the side of the road getting run over by cars passing. So they stopped and began to try to chase them out of the road.

why were the chickens trying to cross the road?
    got mold?

Boolit Master

Make sure she isn't violating any zoning ordinances. In the Hotlanta area, I believe Gwinnette county, a lot of people are fighting the zoning commission over the ability to keep chickens.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Master

. Her 5 kids and our 3 have named them all multiple times and I keep saying they are all named chicken as far as I am concerned..
    Like.....B-Bar-Q, Sweet 'n' Sour, Kung Pow, KFC, Sammich etc......
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Bub
    Daughter #1 is kind of crunchy, I think poison would freak her out pretty badly. (And I would not want an accident to happen to the neighbors dog, I need their good will for several reasons.) She sprung for the extra cost of organic raised feed.

Save the marlins.
    Take a pic , tag and release. We've also used the fillet and release method. Not Marlin, but snappers yes

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    that is not necessary , unless you want to have more chickens

you also do not need to candle eggs if you collect them every day you can eat a fertilized one just fine

wife's don't stop having that time of the month when their husband is off to war and chickens don't stop laying eggs when there are no roosters around , if any thing they may be happier with the rooster gone depending on the behavior of your rooster

some rosters just aren't as gentle as others

also if your going to eat those roosters , make soup, very few people have ever eaten a chicken older than 8-10 weeks what you get from most farms and grocery stores at least in the last 30 years is a Cornish cross and they are at butcher weigh in 7-8 weeks , if they have they either have a special bread or already know to make soup 1-2 year old roosters are very stringy tough meat and you will be surprised how little there is when the feathers are off.

Boolit Master
    I don't think those chickens have to worry about being ate. If they have already got names I really doubt the kids will allow it.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gravel View Post
    why were the chickens trying to cross the road?
    I guess it was to prove to the racoons that it could be done.

Actually they weren't trying to cross, They just wanted to look down the road to see if their ride was coming.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    I don't think those chickens have to worry about being ate. If they have already got names I really doubt the kids will allow it.
    That is a concern. But one of them bit middle grand daughter on the finger and she, between howls, growled between her teeth that that one would be first. Maybe it will be alright.

Boolit Master

The previous owners of my place in Harrison Had chickens they thought of everything fenced them in and covered the area with fine fence above and kept them in a sheet metal- insulation -drywall enclosure at night. Then one morning they went out to let them out and a piece of the metal siding was pulled back and the drywall broken away. A bobcat had gotten in and killed every chicken.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    We've had chickens (free range) for about four years now. To keep night time predators out of the coop I put up a pet grade electric fence. Two wires, one at about eight inches, second at about 16 inches. You do not want to see the carnage that can be done by a coon in a single night: killed all it could reach, ate most of one. Carcass used for bait in a live trap caught it the next night. Good bye coon. We also keep shotguns at the front and back doors for foxes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast