WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: have you taught someone to cast?

Boolit Bub

have you taught someone to cast?

To build on the poll by 8mmshooter on age of casters, I am wondering how many younger (or older) people we have taught to cast to promote our art? I was taught by my uncle Richard 16 years ago and have taught 4 others since then. Please count only the ones who actually do cast on a regular basis.

TEACH SOMEONE TODAY!
    Last edited by Castlead; 08-31-2011 at 04:39 AM. Reason: better wording.
    The worst thing about raising kids is other peoples kids.

Boolit Master
    I have taught lots of people to cast. I couldn't begin to count, nor catalog how many cast today. Scout groups would constitute the largest number of people probably. Several friends who still cast that I know of since they use my equipment.

In the course of selling excess lead over the last few years I have had 8 or 10 people that I have walked through the basics when they picked up their first 40 lbs of lead. Maybe 3-4 have become regular buyers.

Boolit Grand Master

I have taught two to cast so far.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Tried to teach my sons, they are far more interested in shooting than in casting and reloading, perhaps one day when the youngins slow down a bit. Middle son does want to get the equipment, just never seems to follow through on it.

Hell, I'm sill waiting for some one to teach me. LOL

In Remembrance

I have taught 5, that I can remember, how to cast lead - only wish all of them were still around.Robert

Boolit Master

I have taught one. Another has plenty of lead but is too lazy to cast.
    At one with the gun.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm working w/my first student now. We will soon have a day to actually get together and walk through the hands on part of it all. I'm looking forward to it actually he really seems into it. He's been liking about in here for a month or so.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Two. Me first at the "Great South Pacific Reinvention of the Wheel" and then Tertle.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Well I've only been at casting for a little over a year now and I've taught 2 what I've learned so far.

I have an 11 year old nephew that loves to shoot with me. My sister called a couple weeks ago while they were at a garage sale. My nephew had found a press and called to ask me if it was a good one and if he should buy it.

I got a feeling I'll have an apprentice soon.

6 so far. However, there are a lot more who are so willing to help me shoot my cast. I have a couple more lined up waiting for cooler weather.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Still learning here, but my grandskids are looking over my shoulder while I'm at it.

Boolit Buddy
    Im still learning, But everyday I learn something else about casting is a good day. I'm going to show one of my shooting buddys how to cast next week. I remember reading "Give a man a bunch of boolits you cast and he can shoot for a day, Teach a man how to cast his own and he can shoot for a lifetime" Somethin like that LOL Tommy

Boolit Master

I dont know if i ever taught anyone to cast but i have showed a few people how to ! most arent to intrested , if so its for a short time. but i have offered to teach many people but most of the time, i sadly never hear back from them . All of my old casting buddies have passed on or relocated to far away from me . Most people just buy commercial cast, they have been alot more avaliable over the past 20 years than in the past. When i started casting in the 1970s you bought commercial jacketed or swedged bullets or nothing . thats why i started the wonderful additive hobby of bullet casting . im almost at the 1/2 million mark after 43 years of pumping PB.
    But i did help a old friend this summer to get back into reloading after many years of being away from it . he gave his brother all of his old equipment years ago and had to buy everything all over again.
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 09-01-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Great idea, OP. Might be better if someone taught me first, tho. I'm mostly self-taught but very well read and I listen to folks who know what they're doing. Going pretty well so far. My first boolits were better than anything I bought, and I bought a lot!
    For now I encourage like-minded individuals and promote the cause.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Man
    Learned about 35 years ago from my Dad and the LYMAN book. He has not cast any bullets for a while,but he still shoots them.
    Swapped for a M92 Winchester in 38-40 and Dad gave me a Lyman single cavity mold for it.Bullets turned out OK. Got a LYMAN 4 cav mold for 45 ACP 225 RN at cheap price,man o man,thought I was really crankin' bullets out then !

Last three years taught my son how to cast, and my younger brother. My wife came to help at the shop,showed her how to use the Magma Cast Master hand operated machine. She was impressed and pleased to make some good bullets in a short amount of time.
    Taught a fellow I know from former job how to cast bullets,he got the hang of it fairly quick.He used to cast fishing sinkers,so he had a rough idea of the process.

Always stressed SAFETY to all. Glasses are a MUST. Some sort of gloves that are comfortable.

Cover as much skin as you can.One slip of an ingot can make a nasty burn.Keep water away from the pot !

It is always good to pass knowledge along.

Boolit Buddy
    You guys taught and help me now I'm showing my 14 yr old son as his has a interest but most of the time his x box pulls him away. But he love to clean guns after shooting.
    Yes my grandma wears combat boots. But remember her carry weapon is a Ruger .454

Boolit Mold
    i'm here to learn as well! almost bought the setup today but i need to find a steady supply of wheel weights first!

Boolit Grand Master

Two... three if I include myself.

on msgunowners.com we have casting parties about 4 times a year, mainly at the gun range in byram ms. we are doing our best to get more people into the art of casting..