Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACTIV buckshot

ACTIV buckshot

I finally got around to ordering one of the LEE buckshot moulds and also have some old Activ hulls I'd like to load. Hodgdon has some data for hulls from the big 3, so I have that data to fall back on. I was thinking that I may be able to get a good 12 pellet load in the activ's since they have such a large internal capacity. Does anyone have any articles (I'm told a few gun'riters developed good loads for Activs in the 90's, a while before I started handloading) or load data like that?

Boolit Master
    OK,

I don't remember seeing any buckshot data for ACTIV hulls. I do have an old Activ brochure that gives some loading data mostly with Activ wads. If you're interested, give me the primer, powder, wad and load weight for the buckshot that you want to use I'll give you the closest thing they list for a bird-shot load for those components if they show anything close.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

Contact Ballistic Products their buckshot manual says how they used to like activ hulls but were no longer available. So their older manuals should have activ load info they might be able to help you out. FB

Boolit Master
    I have the old 2nd edition slug and buck manual.. I could look some stuff up.. pm me and I'll see what I can dig up..

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    This might help cause I have been a fan of ACTIV's before they went out of business in 1987. You'll also have to use non ACTIV wads because I bought all the remaining ACTIV' from Ballistic Products that they had laying in the corner of their warehouse.

OK, 12ea 00 buck should fit in an 1 1/4 load:
    Win 209 - WAA12 - 24gr Unique = 1150 fps = highest fps in the ACTIV loading manual

1 1/8 Pb Load
    Win 209 - Fed 12SO - 18.5gr Red Dot ... I've loaded hunting loads with 21gr Red Dot that works good too

1 1/4 BP Bismuth Load for ducks & geese - #4 shot ... good to 40yds
    Win 209 - Red AA - 83gr FFFg black powder
    Does it work? Here's a New Jersey limit with a 1901 Parkerhurst Damascus...
    http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...9/IMGP0780.jpg
    Regards
    John

Thanks for all the replys.
    I was intending on using a 12 pellet load, so I guess anything in the 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 oz range would work.
    As far as what I have on hand are CCI209, CCI209M, W209 and Federal 209A primers.
    WAA12, WAA12R, and some Remington wads, RP12 and SP12 I think, not really up on my Remington wads as I don't use them much. Also have WAA12L and WAA12SL but I don't think they would be of much help in this situation.
    I got too many powders to list. I have basically all Domestic shotgun powders save for American Select, Clays and International Clays.
    But I can get any currently manufctured/imported components.

sargenv, PM incoming.

Thanks all.

Boolit Master
    OK,

The heaviest loads listed in the Active brochure that use wads other than Active wads are 1 3/8 oz. You would have to weigh your shot load to see that it is not too heavy.

4 dram equivalent 1 3/8 oz Rem RP 12 wad, Win 209 primer, 37.5 Grains Blue Dot for 1350 FPS at 10000 psi.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

From time to time on aucton arms or gun broker there is a guy that has winchester HI brass hulls . they are a large case. and will do the 12 pellet load and crimp good . If you can find some old herters unslit wads . you will have a 100yd load

Boolit Master
    Actually, I have load data for 2 3/4 " Activ hulls in the 1 5/8 oz range.. BPI had a single load of 1 7/8 oz of lead in the 2 3/4" hull... they had a bunch of room internally compared to other hulls of the time..

Boolit Buddy
    You can alos use the Current productiopn Federal Deep Base .090 Hulls. They have the largest capacity currently available, on par with the Activs.

I was able to get 47-#4 Buck in one 3" hull with a roll crimp that was pressure tested.
    Depending on the powder, you should be able to get a good bit of shot in the hull. You probably would be better off using 14 pellets of OO stacked 2X2 in a wad and buffered. Stacks of 3 will not fit in a wad, you will hav to use a Teflon Wrap.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    From time to time on aucton arms or gun broker there is a guy that has winchester HI brass hulls . they are a large case. and will do the 12 pellet load and crimp good . If you can find some old herters unslit wads . you will have a 100yd load
    Do you have any load data?

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Boolit Master
    I just came into a stock of Activ, what appear to be the 1 ounce white wads.. L29's.. about 1700 of them.. in addition I also have a stock of Active Blue, green, and red wads for the 12... which likely correspond to 1 1/8, 1 1/4, and 1 3/8-1 1/2 oz wads.. I still need to scan the slug and buck data from the outdated slug&buck BPI manual #2.

Boolit Buddy
    I too am looking for data for ACTIV hulls with available wads 1 1 3/8 1 1/4

It looks like I'm not the only one in need of data. Be sure to post any you find and I'll do the same.

Boolit Grand Master

The BPI Buckshot Reloading Handbook has a number of buckshot loads listed for Activ... or at least mine does. It is about 3 or 4 years old.

I am sure if you e-mailed BPI they would tell you if the current manual includes Activ info.

Longbow

I emailed BPI and they said they had no data for the ACTIV hulls at all because they had been out of production so long. Odd they didn't mention some of their older manuals but they did say Reloading for Shotgunners may have some info. They did not say which edition of that had data.

Could you post some data? What edition is your buckshot manual? Maybe I can find a copy.

Boolit Grand Master

Overkill:

No buckshot data in Reloading for Shotgunners or the Lyman manuals for Activ. They have shot loads but no buckshot or slugs loads for Activ.

I know my old BPI manual has Activ buckshot loads though.

Do you have any component preferences? I don't mind transcribing a few loads but not the whole works. I will check to see what I have before we get too excited but let me know what powders you want to use and it may be pretty easy.

Longbow

HS-6 and Blue dot are two of myfavorites, but any will do.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll dig through the BPI manual for Activ recipes. Maybe I can scan it at work and send them all. Might be easiest then you have the whole works.

Seems to me that most of the loads are listed by weight of buckshot but some aren't necessarily suitable for larger sizes.

I'll try to get it done tomorrow.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Got the scans of Activ 2 3/4" and 3" buckshot loads.

PM me your e-mail and I will send them to you.

Longbow