WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: More about the mule...

More about the mule...

Gentlemen, now that I have resolved the problem of getting throttled when I shoot my Ruger #3 in .45-70 I have to ask those of you who own #3's and #1's...What type of optics do you use? I took a BSA red dot 42mm sight, mounted it on the rifle finding that it strattled the front and rear weaver bases just fine. View wise, it provided an open field of view and just put the dot where you wanted the slug to go. I have given consideration to a luppy scout scope....but what are your thoughts? Do any of you use red dots? What kind of scopes do you use?
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

my #1 wears a leo 2 to 7 x and i find the two bells fit perfect in between the rings and allow plenty of eye relief. this #1 is so much fun i pinch myself every time i shoot it.

ive loaded bp shells for it with 400 to 520 gr boolits... and up to 50 gr 3031 with the 520 cast lyman gubberment. and most things between...what a sweety...purrrfect for packing thru brush n such and lite for all day on the shoulder and short nough for the wheeler mount.

oh and i also loaded round patched balls for small game and she puts all balls thru the same hole inside 25 yds...used bp for this as well...40 gr as memories serves with the patched ball seated down on the powder...real powder puff.

have a ball with yer ruger. do you still have the original barrel on it ?

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a NECO (think that is the name) bolt on peep sights. Front sight is easy to put on. Choose what height you need. The rear peep just attaches to the Ruger groove in the receiver and voila, peep sights. Work like a charm.

Boolit Grand Master
    Back when I still had my No 1 in .45-70, I mostly shot open sights. The first scope I put on it was a Simmons shotgun scope, I think 4X. Some Elmer Keith memorial loads broke the crosshairs.

Then I put a 2 1/2X Leupold on it, no more problems.

Robert

Boolit Master

I use a Weaver 4X pistol scope on my Ruger #1 in 45-70. Hot weather is keeping me from the range and sighting it in. Looks good, but I will have to fire it a bunch to see if it will suit my needs.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master

Don't have a Ruger but I do have a TC Encore in a 45-70 which weights 7 pounds loaded with scope, kicks like a mule. I tried several scopes and no matter what I did I couldn't keep them from bumping my glasses every time I pulled the trigger. Just don't like the Red Dots with their batteries. So I broke down and bought a Leupold 2 1/2X Ultralight with a 5" eye relief and no more problems, works great.
    Richard

Boolit Master
    WOW, I am amaized that some of you can shoot the #1 with iron or peep sights.

Not even talking about the #3 here, as with that butt stock I don't even want to think about going there!!!!!!!!

When I first got my #1s - 45/70, I gave thought to shooting, at least in a "back up" situation, the rifle with iron or peeps, but found the rifle so abusing even with middle of the road loads, I wondered what I have gotten myself into.OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

OUCH, even with a good recoil pad in place!

I went ahead and mounted the scope as planned, and WOW, a whole different animal.

What was happening was by trying to pull my face down into the stock far enough to use the iron sights, the comb of the butt stock was battering my face.

Higher head position solved the problem, thank goodness!!

So, a 2X7 Leupold is my present scope, usually carried on the lower powers and only turned to the higher powers on the bench or in a hunting situation where I have time to deal with the smaller field of view.

Would like to have one of the lower power Leupold variables, but $$$$$ are the deturing factor.

Just started hunting with the 45/70 and cast boolit loads last Fall, and counting the very large cow elk I took the first of this Aug., now have two eat'in critters with the rifle.

Have two deer tags for later, so hope to up the critter count to 4 by the end of November.

Ya might take a look at my second generation wrist cuff for ammo shown on another thread under the single shot rifles part of this forum.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    Last edited by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot; 09-02-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    I did have my 1.5-5 x 22 scope on it,but it was a cheap Tasco,my Ruger #3 Killed it

I am trying to decide on what I want to use on it,so I will be watching this thread for ideas.
    Would like a peep sight set up,but don't know what fits?
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Master
    No34570

Being new to the 45/70, and currently on my second mold size, I have done a fair amount of shooting/testing since a year ago last Spring.

This has been with 355gr boolits up to a tad over 2500fps down to my current 465gr boolit in the 1500 - 1700fps range.

The 2X7 Leupold is tak'in a lick'in and keep'in on tick'in.

Not to say I'll never shoot the Leupold loose, but I've never had one go bad over the years, and as indicated on my earlier post, would go to another of their veriables if I felt flush enough at this point.

The 2X7s are more available then the lower power versions, plus cheaper, so by looking around a bit you can probably pick up a used 2X7 in nice condition at a reasonable price.

If a Leupold should go bad, the factory will fix it up good as new, and while Tasco might (??) also provide the same service, once repaired and returned to you, you would still be in possession of a Tasco, which in this Ol'Coot's experience isn't anything to write home about.

Had one once!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Well gentlemen, as always thank you for your experienced input as to optics. I believe the 2x-7x luppy gets the vote.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine Sgt 2111 View Post
    Well gentlemen, as always thank you for your experienced input as to optics. I believe the 2x-7x luppy gets the vote.
    I have to concur
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Bub
    Leupold ultralight 21/2x20 with hd crosshairs on a marlin 1895gbl

Boolit Master
    Marine Sgt 2111,

I think that will be a good one for you.

I may have indicated earlier that if bucks were available, I'd probably go to one of the lower power Leupolds.

Please don't be surprised should once you have mounted your scope, that you may not get a full field of view at 7 X or a bit below.

This will depend on how you mount your scope, rifle and head position - etc.

As I did indicate earlier, I carry and use the rifle/scope on the lower powers and only turn it up when I have time to deal with the lesser field of view.

The field of view does close in a bit as it turn the scope into the 5 - 7X range.

NOTE-------- I could move the scope back about 3/4" from it's present position, which would open up the field of view at the upper powers. However, I choose instead allow for lots of eye relief and have no worries about joining the "halfmoon club" with a scope cut while hunting.

On the bench where the scope is used at 7X, the smaller field of view is no big thing during load testing.

If this were a rifle with the flatter shooting boolit path of my 300win mag shooting a 165gr Nosler Partition in the 3300fps range, this would not be a satisfactory situation, but not only does the 300 not have the recoil issues possible with the 45/70 #1, but the 45/70 will not be employed in 400 - 500 yard shots at a game animal.

Anyway, it has been a long time since I took a game animal at even close to 300yds, let along beyond that distance.

Yes, there are some areas here abouts where that could be very possible, but for my normal hunting conditions, the 300 will be given a rest.

Enjoy!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    Last edited by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot; 09-02-2011 at 11:56 AM.

I am a Photographer [Nikon!] who works part time in a Gun Store, and have worked the gun industry on-and-off for over 35 years, and I tell people to stay away from anything that is not
    [and not necessarily in this order] Khales, Leupold, Nikon, Pentax, Schmidt und Bender, Swarovsky, Zeiss, and I am sure I am missing one or two of like quality manufacturers. [Does not endear me to current employer!]
    I have seen so called 'high end' scopes, sold for <$300.oo, routinely thrashed under recoil of .30-06 class cartridges.
    Imagine what happens when you use one of them on a .338 Win Mag, or a .45-70-500!
    And I am not even getting into brightness, and sharpnes!
    ShootingLooney

Boolit Master
    I have a Leopold 2 X 7 in Weaver rings on my #3 in 223. I have a Weaver V 1 1/2 X 4 1/2 on the #3 that is chambered to 30.40. No problems with either one and that 30.40 is my finest cast shooter. Neil

I use an old Weaver 4K-1 made in El Paso, never had a problem.(And I shoot some just under .458 Win. loads.)

Boolit Master
    I have a 4-12x40mm Leopold on my 45-70 Marlin Lever Evolution I put a magnum Kickeze recoil pad on to control the kick. No problems with the Leopold yet other than it cut my son's eyebrow when he didn't listen and held it too loose. I would love to have a Ruger #1 in 45-70. I don't know if a BSA would stand up under the recoil.
    NRA Life Member