RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enfield .303 conversion to .44 mag or .444 Marlin

And Valkyriearms is under new ownership - after the last owner, I'll wait to see what kind of reputation they develop before ordering.

If I find a No.4 cheap enough I would build one in 44mag!
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bydand View Post
    By the way the guy shooting the .410 No4 could have saved himself some money by buying a Indian SMLE converted to .410 by the arsenal as a police gun. they used un-necked .303 brass. They do appear at gun shows from time to time
    A few years ago I read an interesting article about the 410 Enfields. The Brits armed the Indian police and guards with the 410 conversions after some armed Indians revolted. The single shot 410's loaded with bird shot were an effective close range weapon only. The British soldiers in case of a revolt were to simply keep their distance but well within range of their 303 rifles. Most of the issued shotshells were loaded with black powder instead of the then used Cordite. The black powder smoke cloud was to give away the position of the shooter. The Brits also cut the spike and blade bayonets to a stub and welded on the sheath. Made the bayonet useless but its appearance attached to the rifle had a frightening effect on the ignorant populace.

The author of the article dispelled any stories or tales of the 410 being issued to Brit soldiers to hunt to small game and birds. Apparently some US importer(s) were claiming the Brit army issued them to keep the soldiers fed if they got beyond supply lines.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle jed View Post
    What would be the feasibility of either caliber? Possibly also .44 special, but leaning toward .444 Marlin if it's not too much pressure. Any ideas? thanks uncle jed
    I have a No4 MkI converted to 444 marlin. That is the way I purchased it, alas, minus a magazine. So, it has sat at the gunsmiths for a long time awaiting a new mag to be made. On the up side of the long wait, three others have showed up, also requiring a mag, so hopefully I will to have to pay as much.....

Mine was very nicely done, Williams sites, and the original barrel appears to be bored out and re rifled. It is tight, mik'ing at 427-8 thou. Am yet to shoot it, and it looks unfired.

Chrispy

Boolit Master
    I think the .444 is by far the best way to go, since I know it has been done and made to work well, feeding from the magazine. So has .45-70, but possibly is requires more work and I don't know about reliability.

There were and possibly still are De Lisle replicas in the UK, where there was never any need for anything other than permission for "a .45 rifle", as long as the suppressor was integral. I saw a barrel for one of these, and it was about 12in. long, with a rearward extension to put the rear of the magazine (same as a 1911 I believe, possibly modified) where the rear of the magazine would normally be. If I remember rightly that barrel extension was of a diameter which would have required enlargement of the bolt way. They wanted at first to use 9mm. in the original, but it didn't work well, I don't know why. The .45 ACP version was one of the few "silenced" firearms ever to be almost totally silent.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by azrednek View Post
    A few years ago I read an interesting article about the 410 Enfields. The Brits armed the Indian police and guards with the 410 conversions after some armed Indians revolted. The single shot 410's loaded with bird shot were an effective close range weapon only. The British soldiers in case of a revolt were to simply keep their distance but well within range of their 303 rifles. Most of the issued shotshells were loaded with black powder instead of the then used Cordite. The black powder smoke cloud was to give away the position of the shooter. The Brits also cut the spike and blade bayonets to a stub and welded on the sheath. Made the bayonet useless but its appearance attached to the rifle had a frightening effect on the ignorant populace.

The author of the article dispelled any stories or tales of the 410 being issued to Brit soldiers to hunt to small game and birds. Apparently some US importer(s) were claiming the Brit army issued them to keep the soldiers fed if they got beyond supply lines.
    Ah, the old "forager" story, the mainstay of dealers selling bored-out surplus military firearms of endless sorts.

The .410 Enfield was indeed an Indian Army and police issue, and was intended for the relatively humane suppression of riots by unarmed mobs, or at least unarmed with firearms, who could tear you to bits as easily as anybody, but might yet not want to. Only a little later Belgian 12ga. shotguns of a cheap but sound pattern were widely issued by the British in Kenya, but the point of the Enfield version was that rioters didn't know what was hurting a few of them. British or Indian troops would have standard rifles, but initially only nominated marksmen would be ordered to fire, at ringleaders identified by an officer.

Lee-Enfield rifles bored and chambered for the standard .410 cartridge were on sale in the UK for a while, as they were subject to a much easier form of licencing. But these didn't load from the magazine. As some purpose-made .410 shotguns, such as the Webley, did, there is always the chance of an occasional amateur conversion turning up.

The club I belong to has a gunsmith who makes De Lisle from blueprints. They are exact in everyway and can only be distinguished from originals by Serial numbers, So Im told. They are so quiet and accurate they are fun to shoot.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Anybody know if Valkyrie still makes DeLisles? Are they any good?

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Anybody know if Valkyrie still makes DeLisles? Are they any good?
    last review I saw was from 2012
    http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80434

Special Interest Arms out of NV makes on
    Last edited by Artful; 08-03-2015 at 02:38 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    NRA certified pistol instructor & RSO.

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    last review I saw was from 2012
    http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80434

Special Interest Arms out of NV makes on
    Well, thank you! Disappointing to hear they're kinda marginal quality-wise, to put it gently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Ah, the old "forager" story, the mainstay of dealers selling bored-out surplus military firearms of endless sorts.

The .410 Enfield was indeed an Indian Army and police issue, and was intended for the relatively humane suppression of riots by unarmed mobs, or at least unarmed with firearms, who could tear you to bits as easily as anybody, but might yet not want to. Only a little later Belgian 12ga. shotguns of a cheap but sound pattern were widely issued by the British in Kenya, but the point of the Enfield version was that rioters didn't know what was hurting a few of them. British or Indian troops would have standard rifles, but initially only nominated marksmen would be ordered to fire, at ringleaders identified by an officer.

Lee-Enfield rifles bored and chambered for the standard .410 cartridge were on sale in the UK for a while, as they were subject to a much easier form of licencing. But these didn't load from the magazine. As some purpose-made .410 shotguns, such as the Webley, did, there is always the chance of an occasional amateur conversion turning up.
    The .410's much be much more interesting with rifling.

Boolit Buddy
    A friend of mine had a Mauser 98 converted to .44mag with a big silencer and a scope. Very silent and effective.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    The .410's much be much more interesting with rifling.
    Could be, but you would need to know the exact dimensions in that particular gun, before you would know whether you could have a simple rifling job with available brass which would grip the bullet. The .405 Winchester might be more practical, and an easy one, the only cartridge often chambered in original Lee-Enfield sporting rifles, which should feed from the existing magazine, would be the .375 2½in. Flanged Nitro-express. Is there anybody so dead to romance as wouldn't like a rifle called nitro-express?

Boolit Master
    Would love to have a no.4 in .444 marlin. Souunds like a new project.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Bub
    After a long time at the gunsmiths, with several failed attempts at making a usable, reliable mag, the gunsmith completed the job, with a 5+ shot mag that utilises some existing bits of the original No 4 mag. It feeds and functions well, can be top loaded, and just needs a coat of black paint to complete it. The donor mag is a Howa 308 DBM mag. Cost about $100.

Now to load up some goodies and test it.

I did a BSA commercial MK1 in a very slightly shortened 405 Winchester. Used the original mag with a center fed insert for 5 down.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...le-(and-friend)
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master
    44 mag does make a good gun to suppress. You can get molds almost as heavy as something in 45. 44 spcl load data tends to be a bit low, so something in between, I use tight group in a single shot rifle. Just enough to get a 290gr NOE to 1020 or so. I have to watch it, load them closer to the threshold here at the house then go visit my friend lower down and I get another 30fps. I have a Nikon on top w a 150BDC in it, plug it into their online computer, hard to miss with it. A second range card for full power loads. Women who might not touch a pistol for the recoil, shoot it with no issues being a rifle.

Have never owned a 444 marlin, have a 45-70, never saw the use in a 444. Only reason I have some brass is shot shells in a black hawk. But the 410 enfield is neat idea. They are not very lethal with stuff from the store, but you can make some pretty nasty ones in all brass cases.

I know its an old thread but I have been fancying a 303 conversion to a ?x57R for a while and the magazine has been whats put me off.

It don't look pretty, but what did your gunsmith do? Cut the bottom and front off the original magazine and epoxy the Howa mag in there?

Do it still feed well?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12