Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fix for inconsistant Powder measure drops.

Banned

Randy ive given up on stick powders and powder measures. Ive yet to find one that does it right EVERY time. I use a pact and a lyman electonic dispensor now. A bit slower then throwing charges with a manual dispensor but accurate to a 1/10 of a grain + or - most every time.

Boolit Master
    Wow! I learned a lot on that Amazon site and got some great ideas for Christmas presents!

But, back to the topic at hand.....

If you make your powder measure handle "store" in the up position, so the opening for the powder is sealed, this will allow much more consistant drops.

Then it simply becomes a matter of rythym.

I drilled and taped both of my measures and installed a spring loaded ball that fits into a detent. Stores in the "up handle" position. An elastic band will do the same thing, but not as cool!

Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    On one of Seagiants threads about powder measures a few weeks ago, I was whining about my older RCBS Uniflow not dropping consistant charges with stick powder like IMR 4895.

We discussed several fixes for this problem and I expounded that I was going to try a pleasure vibrator taped to the powder hopper.

This brought about much laughter.

However the idea was sound even if the actual vibrating device was not PC. Besides Do you know what a quality vibrator costs nowadays? WOW!

A Personal Fan! Yes, I in fact have had two of them sitting in my closet for several years now, so I sacrificed one to the reloading gods.

I needed to create an out of balance condition so I taped a 300 gr bullet to one of the fan blades. The fan didn't have enough beans to turn the big bullet, so I removed it and installed a 150 gr bullet.

I taped the fan to the powder measure hopper and fired it up.

BINGO.

45.0 gr of IMR 4895 +.1/ -.2 over fifty weighed drops, with no redos. Every charge right in the strike zone! Bam!

This is all it took to fix this problem, prior to this the measure was dropping +/-.4 gr completely irratic and just not close enough.

Randy
    So you went from "irratic" to "erotic" to "exotic?" Sounds "quixotic!"

Froggie

I know, it does, but then I got sick of chasing it, so now I'm "donewith-ic !"

I really thought I had this beat, but sometimes you just get lucky. Point is,,, you have to figure out it was just dumb luck, before you proceed to depend on it, and it has you for lunch.

I love the way all the smiley's are in sync.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I have been using a Hollywood micrometer measure for a half century. When the throw is less than smooth I toss the charge back in the hopper and do it again. Have worked for me for a long long time.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Is the problem "crunchy" measuring combined with wide variations in charge weight or just(!) wide variations in charge weight? I put a longer handle on my measure and variations in charge weight and drum hang-ups decreased. I used aluminum flat stock of the same thickness, but wider, from H.D. and bent it like the original (which turned out to be unnecessary, but it looks sexy).

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    One thing you can do to improve the consistency of your drops is to remove the human factor by installing a case activated powder drop. Both Hornady and RCBS sell one that fits your powder measure. I significantly improved consistency on my press when I began using a CAPD with my Uniflow.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    One thing you can do to improve the consistency of your drops is to remove the human factor by installing a case activated powder drop. Both Hornady and RCBS sell one that fits your powder measure. I significantly improved consistency on my press when I began using a CAPD with my Uniflow.

Hope this helps,
    Dave
    Concur absolutely. As has been said the trick to effective use of a powder measure is consistency of operation. I noticed when I got my first progressive in the early 90s, an RCBS Ammomaster which is still going strong, how consistent the powder drops were and have case activated my powder measures whenever I can since then. The mechanical linkages smooth out any inconsistency of my operation leading to accurate powder measure drops.

I suspect this is one of the reasons why the Lee Auto Disk is such a successful measure.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

I use a battery operated tooth brush and a heavy rubber band to hold it on,works quiet well.

Boolit Bub
    A fish tank air pump will also work. I have a couple of friends with Dillon machines that do this.

If you are still interested in using the vibration method you can either buy a fan balancing kit from a hardware store or you can pull the blade off your fan and take a small piece of metal about the size of a quarter and drill a hole, slightly smaller then the shaft of the motor you are using, and press it on the fan shaft. If speed is a problem try a rheostat in line to adjust power.

Also, have you tried a powder baffle?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Have you tried a powder baffle?

Is your work bench small med or heavy

and how many g of powder are you dropping

I use a powder baffle and the small cylinder

I also keep the handle in the up position (closed)

I also pre tap the hopper with a finger tip to settle the powder -- throw 3-4 back in the hopper and start measuring

I also if using a stick powder and get a crunchy one toss it back in the hopper or check it for weight

Boolit Master
    Home made powder baffle

ht tp://www.ray-vin.com/tech/hack/baffle.pdf

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    To heck with the powder..............let's get back to the sex toys!!!!!!!!!!!

bangerjim

I never thought this one would come back to haunt me!

My little personal fan didn't live for long, I couldn't get it to repeat the next time I tried it so I abandoned the process.

I just bought an electronic PM to dispense stick powder. Problem solved, and I can get perfect drops every time with IMR4895, and other coarse powders.

I recently got a Purple Primer Tube Filler. It has a small and very nice little vibrator hooked to it to provide the motion. This thing is about 3/4" in dia. and maybe 2" long and is attached to the tools body with a rubber band so it has a flexible connection. These are about $3 from China.

I am going to try it on the RCBS PM and see if works consistent enough to rely on, and I will report back my findings.

I hear what others are saying about consistent operation of the PM, and this does in fact work with finer grained powders. The problem with the stick stuff is unless the granules seat completely in the charge tube the weight will vary.

Lyman 55's use the little tooncer thingy, and others toonce the measure different ways to insure good granule distribution. However the human factor is always the "fly in the ointment" when it comes to production style work.

In production machine work (and loading ammunition is pretty close to the same type of work) the less human hands physically touch the product the better off it will be. This is why we have automated machines to make parts, less human involvement.

My Spolar Shotshell Loader has a vibrator attached to the primer feed to insure complete reliability. So the idea of having a vibrator on the PM is not a big stretch.

The idea that someone can manually operate a machine of any kind with complete consistency is a myth. If it happens it is not due to the human involvement, it is due to the machine's ability to repeat the process, and anyone operating it would receive the same results.

This is not about holding your mouth right. Machines either work right and do what you want or they get replaced.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

I recently got a Purple Primer Tube Filler. It has a small and very nice little vibrator hooked to it to provide the motion. This thing is about 3/4" in dia. and maybe 2" long and is attached to the tools body with a rubber band so it has a flexible connection. These are about $3 from China.

Randy
    Where did you get this tube filler? How much was it? I'm getting tired of pecking

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjones View Post
    Where did you get this tube filler? How much was it? I'm getting tired of pecking
    Pecker wants a vibrator????? As if red vs blue wasn't bad enough.

Strange forum this!

Dude: yes it is, and it just keeps going on and on.

Mikey: look on You-Tube for "purple primer tube filler." The guys name and address is one there.

Randy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    One thing you can do to improve the consistency of your drops is to remove the human factor by installing a case activated powder drop.
    The inventor of the Quick Measure recommends this also. It makes sense.

Take care

r1kk1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12