Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Question on .44-40 WCF

Boolit Buddy

Question Question on .44-40 WCF

Will I need a drop tube to handload the .44 WCF cartridge with FFG blackpowder or any substitutes?

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

44wcf

The answer is no. I shoot the 44-40 in SASS and have two sets of revolvers and two rifles for the cartridge. I don't know if you have any time with the cartridge but don't listen to all the bull that is on the wires about it. It is a very nice cartridge and not hard to load as the pc quacks will tell you.
    Please stay away from the subs as the only thing they do is smoke like BP. You don't have the same sound, fire, sparks or smoke as the real thing does. Plus contrary to belief the subs are much more prone to rust than the real BP.
    The original bullet design was the Lyman 427098 of today and with a good lube like NASA or SPG it will work ok. It does however have a tendency to lead in a long barrel rifle. If you cast, go to the Accurate Mould site and look at 43210B . It is the bullet that I came up with while working with Tom to better the Lyman bullet. It has deeper and wider lube grooves and the grooves have square edges and not rounded so that they hold more lube. My friend W44WCF has done some long range testing and has come up with some very nice results. I have had the same but have not been able to fire past 100 yards yet. They have bullets that are sold by others called the big lubes and for close CAS matches they work. I used them at one time but the mould quality was terrible. I will not put down on DD and I understand that he is making his own moulds now. The bullets will not shoot with these at long range. I have went to using the brass moulds and will never again use aluminum to cast with. The NASA lube may be purchased from Bull shop and the SPG from various places. Good luck and if you have any questions please contact me.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

This is probably a topic that could have a lot of yes or no answers.

Personally I could not find any shot improvements by using a drop-tube for the .38-40 and .44-40 in my 1873 rifles (modern replicas and original antique). I do give the powder filled cases a couple of good taps to settle the powder before placing the wad & bullet. I do find the drop-tube highly effective with larger cases but not with the smaller ones like the .44-40.

I all so reload .44-40 for revolvers and using a drop-tube for revolver loads is probably a waist of time. Although it might not hurt, I could not find any differences what so ever in the shots fired and off course the results. And believe me, I did en do fire them quite a lot, I love the .44WCF, it’s a nice (SASS style) competition round.

Peter (Stampede)
    Last edited by Stampede; 08-28-2011 at 11:58 AM.
    Over 27 years experience reloading ammo, specialy with VithaVuori powders and black powder ammo.
    I frequently reload: .45ACP / .44MAG / .357MAG / .357 Maximum / .38 Special / .45-70 / .45-120 / .50-70 / .50-110 / 12,7x44R (and similar European obsolete BP ammo)/ .30-30Win / .223Rem / .38-40 / .44-40 / .300 Win Mag / 7x64 Brenneke (and similar European Rifles/ 9mm / My personal favorites: Freedom Arms revolvers, Winchester, Sharps and Remington rifles (produced before 1900)

Boolit Buddy

I won't have to buy a drop tube, you guys saved me some money. Thanks!

Cajun shooter, I looked at that website and am saving that address. I will have to try out the brass molds someday.