Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: powder choice for 38 wc 148??

Boolit Buddy

powder choice for 38 wc 148??

just picked up a 38 wc mold for my python....i was using clays powder, but it seems to be too coarse to fill the powder die on my lee turret press without "bridging" and dropping little or no powder. what are all of you using for this application?

Boolit Grand Master
    For yrs. 2.7 grs. of Bullseye was shot in the 38 Spec. with a 148 gr. W/C with stellar results. That load is pretty much the " gold standard " for the 148 W/C.

Of course today with the new " clean burning " series of propellants, there may well be some that will give B'eye a good run for its money. If B'eye won't meter through your system, you better start asking some questions.

I have loaded 6 or 7 thousand 148 gr. wadcutters ( .38 special brass ) using a rcbs mould sized to .358 in my wifes gp100 . The load that I / We shoot is 2.4 gr of red dot and a fed #100 small pistol primer lubed up with Felix lube , No recoil and very !!! accurate . YMMV.

Boolit Buddy

i never had any problems loading with flake powder until the wc,the gap in my auto disc is simply too small to allow the flake to consistantly fill. what loader are you using the red-dot with?

Boolit Master

Bullseye would be the classic choice, 231 metered well for me out of a lyman 55 or Dillon measure.

Doug

Hornady LNL !

Boolit Buddy
    2.7 gr. bullseye will usually perform well. Others that perform well are ww-231, imr-700x, hp-38.unique, and several others that I have not used. Chick any loading manual and you should see a lot of powders for the 38spec - 148 gr. wad cutter
    What this Country needs is more unemployed politicians

If you truly need a fine-grained powder that absolutely cannot bridge, pick up a pound of Accurate #2. Of course, fine sphericals like that can also lock up some Lee measures because it is soooo fine that it migrates everywhere. But it sure as heck won't bridge...

(It's a superbly accurate powder for the .38, too.)

Question

"Just picked up a 38 wc mold for my python....I was using clays powder, but it seems to be too coarse to fill the powder die on my lee turret press without "bridging" and dropping little or no powder. what are all of you using for this application?"

imsooted, By "powder die" do you mean the Lee Powder Thru Expander die? Also, is your powder measure a Lee Auto Disk? If yes to both questions, somethings not right with your powder measure as I use Clays and Bullseye for the WC loads with no powder bridging or leaking at all. Ditto for Unique and Blue Dot, but not with WC's.

Boolit Master

I always used either Bullseye 2.7 to 3.0 grs or 231 with full wad cutters.
    Very accurate super mild to shoot.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Moderator Emeritus

Titegroup works well too if you just happen to have a can of it sitting around.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

+1 for 231 and red dot. My kids love to shoot them wadcutters!
    MPBARRY1

NRA Life Member

PASS IT ON! TAKE A KID SHOOTING!,

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    "Just picked up a 38 wc mold for my python....I was using clays powder, but it seems to be too coarse to fill the powder die on my lee turret press without "bridging" and dropping little or no powder. what are all of you using for this application?"

imsooted, By "powder die" do you mean the Lee Powder Thru Expander die? Also, is your powder measure a Lee Auto Disk? If yes to both questions, somethings not right with your powder measure as I use Clays and Bullseye for the WC loads with no powder bridging or leaking at all. Ditto for Unique and Blue Dot, but not with WC's.
    i have the lee adjustable charge bar, running on top of the swivel adapter, and thru the expander die(pro auto-disc update kit)

In Remembrance

Can`t begin to tell you how many ca-thousand 148 gr. wadcutters I have cast and loaded with 3 to 3.5 gr. HP-38 or Win. 231.Robert

When I was using Lee Auto Disc measures I had problems with static causing erratic charges.

Take the measure apart and wipe down all the parts with an anti-cling dryer sheet. That helped me, but didn't completely cure the problems I had with the Lee measure.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Another Doug for 231. I loaded the HBWC's light, around 2.5 grains for an accurate target load that recoils about like a 22 LR.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Lee Pro Auto Disk and Auto Disk have well known issues with powder bridging and light charges when relatively large granuled flake powders are used. This would include 700X, Red Dot, Clays, Unique, etc. For whatever reason, the Pro Auto Disk is somewhat more susceptible to this than the cheaper Auto Disk, but it may occur with the Auto Disk as well.

I own both types of measures.

Do not go much below approximately 3.5 grains of these powders or the risk of squibs occurs. Unique, for example, is squib prone when trying to dispense 3.0 grains thru the measure. This was a standard for my 25-20 with the RCBS 85 FN at 1080 fps until squibs reared their ugly head. Same with other powders in equivalent volume.

I have quite extensive experience with these powders and squib type light charges with these measures when loading light for 22 K Hornet, 25-20, .380 Auto, 38 Spl, etc.

Especially with static mountings, that impart no motion or jiggling to the measure, squibs can and will occur.

Obviously, still larger flake powders like American Select and 800X would have the same issues, only more so.

Interestingly, when the charge weight exceeds necessary minimums, the Lee automatic measures are very consistent and dispense charges with less variation than many other measures using these same flake powders. For example, the .71 cavity dispenses 4.8 to 4.9 grains Red Dot (an "in between" weight in this cavity) and it does it very consistently for my "heavy ball" cast bullet 45 ACP loads. Some say the large flake powders can't be metered consistently.

The PAD proves that incorrect.....as long as you don't go too small in cavity size.

Boolit Grand Master

imsoooted;
    The Classic powder charge of 2.7 grs of Bullseye was for HOLLOW BASE wadcutters. Solid base wadcutters respond better to slightly heavier charges. I recommend from 3.0 grs of Bullseye to 3.5 grs of Bullseye for that purpose.

That also applies to substitute powders. You may find that Clays measures better with a slightly larger cavity (sometimes one or two cavities larger will make a tremendous difference). Of course, that pre-supposes that you will NOT exceed a prudent load.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Buddy

thx to all who replied. went to win 231, problem solved!
    john

Boolit Buddy
    For me WW-231 works best in revolvers and Bullseye in auto loaders.
    Why? Dang if I know!

Dave C.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast