Load DataRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 310 Cadet group Buy

310 Cadet group Buy

Typical English summer evening (pissing down) here. So with all reloading finished and guns readied for the morning I find myself at a loose end and thought i'd start a thread on the 310 cadet 6 cavity group buy from a couple of years ago.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=310+cadet

The mould is a six cavity group buy from Lee. It was at a time a couple of years ago when Lee were really dragging their heels and if I remember right, this mould took almost a year to materialise........It was worth the wait.
    The mould drops all six boolits at a consistant .322 using a 20/1 pb/sn mix. I simply tumble lube in LLA.

I use 32-20 brass trimmed to 1.12". I have found that the RP and the Starline brass doesn't need the rims thinning unlike the winchester brass I tried earlier which had rims that were just a shade too thick to allow the block to close sweetly. No dies are required for loading this little sweetie. Simply decap/recap fill with 4.2 gns of Unique and thumb seat the boolit. The tackiness of the LLA will keep it in place.

They go through the chrony at 1065fps with an es of 24fps. This is a 5 shot group at 25 yards. A pretty standard target where a 10p piece(roughly quarter size) will normally cover a 5 shot group. I used to use the rcbs 310-120 RN, but that was pretty much a shotgun pattern compared to this wonderful little mould.

Last edited by fred2892; 09-23-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Nice work. I am battling a Cadet right now. Mine has an extraordinarily long chamber and may have been altered. Hands down the best loads producing groups like yours are duplex H4227/3Fg black powder.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Dang! I was browsing, and thought perhaps someone was going to get a group buy together on complete actions.

Dang and double Dang!

Rich

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Nice work. I am battling a Cadet right now. Mine has an extraordinarily long chamber and may have been altered. Hands down the best loads producing groups like yours are duplex H4227/3Fg black powder.
    check the chamber it may have been bumped to 32-20
    give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by for i intend to go in harms way

Boolit Buddy
    Any of you chaps disallusioned with your mold!? I sure need one!

Boolit Master

I sent an assortment of different .310 Cadet bullets to Al Nelson at NOE a year ago or better. Said he would be interested in running something in the Cadet. With the new forum, moving, and busy as all get out, if probably slipped his mind. Touch bases with him and refresh his memory. If it can be done, he'll do it.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Bub
    I would be in on this if it got off the ground...

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    That GB was done with Lee and was my design. We have a lot more options now...... either a hollow base or a hollow point. I would run a GB, but it will take a long time. What you guys need to nail down is what shank diameter you want... as Lee messed up that some and made it a little smaller than it was supposed to be.

Boolit Master

Never seen a hollow based heel bullet. With soft alloy would it be necessary?
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Never seen a hollow based heel bullet. With soft alloy would it be necessary?
    Tested in a 41 Swiss Vetterli, it out shot other designs by a good bit.

If I were on the hunt for a cadet mould I would go with exactly the same size and design of the original Lee group buy. What I didn't say in my original post was that the heel is a perfect fit for my Remington and starline brass. It thumb seats in fired cases with minimal effort. The problem with Bertram brass is its inconsistency. I have had a couple of hundred 310 Bertram and know others with 310 Bertram and they have had the same inconsistent case dimensions.
    A hollow base? Knowing how good the original design was, I wouldn't consider changing anything.

Boolit Master

I'm with Fred on this, stay with the original design as with the Lee GB and include hollow point option. I currently use a CBE and an RCBS mould and have no complaints with either, but a hollow point would be pretty neat.
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    My .310 likes a .315 diameter heel for trimmed and formed Winchester brass. A little LLA makes for a nice snug fit, thumb seated.

Boolit Master

45 2.1:
    Is it time to move this from results to discussion?
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Jeff, It may be worth giving Al a prod over on the NOE forums. Like you say it may have just slipped by in the rush. I know if I was having this mould made again he would be my first port of call. I would really like this as a mihec brass, but the 2 years plus wait just doesn't make sense. I remember when Lee went over the 6 month point for the original mould and the howls of anguish could be heard echoing round the world.

Just wondering, would this be moved into a group buy?
    I understand that 45 2.1 has been “banned” from this site, I take it, if he’s left, all of his dimensions for the original mold specifications have gone also?

Boolit Buddy
    I started a discussion over on the noe site but the response has been lacking.

Boolit Man
    Mr. Finnmike, I would also be interested in a NOE .310 cadet mold. I briefly looked at the NOE forum for your discussion, under which topic is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by fred2892 View Post
    If I were on the hunt for a cadet mould I would go with exactly the same size and design of the original Lee group buy. What I didn't say in my original post was that the heel is a perfect fit for my Remington and starline brass. It thumb seats in fired cases with minimal effort. The problem with Bertram brass is its inconsistency. I have had a couple of hundred 310 Bertram and know others with 310 Bertram and they have had the same inconsistent case dimensions.
    A hollow base? Knowing how good the original design was, I wouldn't consider changing anything.
    Fred2832 gave me 50 of his cast boolits from the Lee Group Buy mould to compare to my RCBS 310-120 RN castings, they fitted straight into my fire formed Kynoch .310 cases and were very accurate over 100 yards. I would stick to the original size and design. It goes without saying that I would buy that mould if I could. Regards

Boolit Master

Does anyone have a sample of the Lee group buy so Al can get some measurements?
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast