Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: reloading 7.62x39 for semi-auto

Boolit Mold

reloading 7.62x39 for semi-auto

HI
    Ive got a VZ58 and want to start casting for it.
    Right now i have fast burning powders (hp38,clays,700-x,titegroup) and was wondering if there is a load with the 155 or 160gr lee mold that will cycle the action with these powders. Reason being i can get these powders very cheap and would like to use them if i can rather than buying more expensive dedicated powder.
    Ive seen them mentioned in use in the C.E. Harris article but some say they have to manually cycle. I imagine the 700-x would be best given that is the slowest powder i have.
    Any info would be very helpful.

Boolit Master

If they won't cycle, there is no reason you couldn't remove the gas piston and use it as a straight pull magazine fed single shot. I'm surprised more people don't use their sks this way. Takes less than a minute to return to semi-auto status.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

I plan to try the LEE 312-155-2R with Ramshot TAC (I have plenty) when I get some bullets ready. I've been using 28gr TAC with 147grFMJBT in a MINI-30 and gotten good "field" accuracy with the combination. If I can make the combination work (I hope) I'll try making some "soft-points" with a technique mentioned in the Beartooth Bullets website.
    http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/35
    I carry the rifle when checking my property to deal with my furry bad neighbors (bear, mountain lion, etc). I've been using 150gr softpoints until I can get an effective cast load going.
    Last edited by Me not you; 09-04-2011 at 07:28 PM.
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

PM truckmsl for 100% reliable info.He uses AA1680.I have seen him shoot 100's out of his AK with no problems. I just started shoot cast in a Saiga 308 with good accuracy and reliability.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    If they won't cycle, there is no reason you couldn't remove the gas piston and use it as a straight pull magazine fed single shot. I'm surprised more people don't use their sks this way. Takes less than a minute to return to semi-auto status.
    Have you actually tried that yourself? If so, how bad was the lead fouling in the gas tube?
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

my Saiga works well semi auto(30g 4895 @1900) with no real lead build up in the piston.i clean it about every 500 and even then its not all that much and hasn't ever caused a malfunction..

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    my Saiga works well semi auto(30g 4895 @1900) with no real lead build up in the piston.i clean it about every 500 and even then its not all that much and hasn't ever caused a malfunction..
    The question was not in regard to semi auto use. He was talking about removing the gas piston & using the rifle as a straight pull bolt gun. I am curious about how badly the lead deposits will build up inside the gas tube without the piston scraping them off after every shot.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

Boolit Man
    I've been using 120 grain saeco rnl (wqww) with 17ish grains of H4227 and this works the bolt on my Yugo SKS and in my Nork AK. Accuracy is okay, I'm shooting at 50 yards.

hope this helps
    Last edited by baker1425; 09-06-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: memory has gth, corrected original post

I missed your question Jim.I also now wonder what would happen to the gas and lead particles without a piston.Good question.

george

The Yugo rifles have a gas shut off valve that is part of the grenade launcher gizmo. On those, you just flip a lever, & you have a straight pull bolt gun.

I had considered making a locking block for under the gas piston or a solid block to replace the piston, with maybe a few vents cut in it, but I never got around to trying any of it. If removing the piston doesn't cause any problems, then that would certainly be the easiest solution.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Publius Tacitus

The LEE 312-155-2R with Ramshot TAC and Wolf Magnum primers shoot better in my MINI-30 than my load with 147gr FMJBT and TAC. No evidence of Leading so far. The bullets were sized 0.313 and both loads shot to the same point of impact.
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”