Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moly Coating (lead) cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    Hello, bmiller. Merrill Martin and the NECO corporation first developed moly coating..it uses steel balls in a vibratory or roller type tumbler to impact coat the moly to bullets surface. The carnuaba wax coating makes handling a bit cleaner.
    In my Shillen barreled .22 Hornet Borchardt & Ruger No.1 .222 Rem. I have not chrono. yet, but I have pushed them until all I got were very large patterns at 100yds., and lands were starting to look gray..but no leading sticking in bore..these loads were way up into jacketed bullet load levels.
    Going back down to sane cast-bullet loads, the Hornet will group into 3/8"..not every time, but often enough to know it's no fluke at 100yds. With the best match jacketed loads it would group in the very low .300's. Average I would say is around 7/16" to 1/2" day to day.
    The Ruger doesn't have quite as smooth a bore as the Hornet & the best it would do with match jacket was around 1/2" to
    7/16". The best cast groups I have gotten are 7/16".
    This level of accuracy didn't come easy..or cheap! A couple of custom nose-pour moulds, nose-first sizer dies..and the most improvement was when I made a tapered sizing die to taper 1st. driving band to match throat leade angle. Bullet seat depth is set up so first band is fully engraved by rifling as breech block is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    there was a commercial molly coat made for cast bullets years ago that was written about in handloader magizine that i tried! cant rmember the name but IMO it wasent very good on cast bullets . and messy to work with and slower than useing a Star lube sizer
    Bullet Master maybe? (I recently found a can of this on eVil bAy! believe t or not.) Sandstrom #29a is supposed to be the same stuff. I'm a somewhat believer in this stuff with lube added after you moly coat. Sometimes I size, then heat treat, then moly coat, and lube last. I can't say whether it is good accuracy wise as I've never benched these super hot revolter loads, but they did hit what I pointed them at, and never leaded.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys. I have been using the sandstrom product for about a year now. I use it on my handgun ammo mostly. I have a lee 124 grain tumble lube mold for 9 mm. I have shot thousands of these bullets. They shoot fine but are a little smokey, and dirty. The fastest I have pushed this is with a 300 blk with a 155 gas checked bullet. Just the check and dry moly lube. I am guessing about 1900 fps. I have been trying to make 223 bullets for my ar. Have been having a lot of fun but bumping into the laws of physics a lot!

Bullet Kote (sp?) is another spray on moly that goes back clear into the seventies. If I have my info right. Still available.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to use the Bullet master lube, then lube normally, for my handgun/high velocity loads. Can't complain about the results. Pushed some of the loads pretty good and never had any leading. Still have some of the stuff. Been playing with a very light coat of LLA plus normal lube nowadays.
    Will have to do a side by side test one of these days.

When I last ordered the BML, guy told me it only had a year shelf life, that was 25 or so years ago.

Had to use it outdoors , as the VOC's , IIRC, were pretty hazardous

Boolit Master
    I moly coated at lot of jacket bullets used in High Power rifle matches.

After casting some 40 S&W bullets from a Lee mold for the Lee LLA lube, I moly coated the bullets first using the same procedure for jacket bullets, then a light coat of Lee tumble lube was applied, the bullsts were sized by the Lee push thru sizer and then another coating of the Lee LLA lube was applied.

The Lee lube was allowed to dry for a few days in hot weather.

The bullets shot fine, but the moly coat did not seem to help in lubing the bullets.

I then went to powder coating the bullets, this sealed the bullets and the bore of the gun showed no lead and was very clean after shooting several boxes of shells.

Moly coating of jacket bullets helps in keeping copper out of the barrel, but on cast bullets I do not think the moly works very well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12