Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: "Beagleing" for out of Round

Boolit Master

"Beagleing" for out of Round

Will Beagleing help an out of round mould? I just finished the first casting from a new 429244 2 cavity. After warm up, I cast about 30 good bullets and chose the last 4 to measure. using 50% WW/50% pure plus 1/2lb tin the bullet came out.4295 X .431 for .0015 out of round. Would using alum foil or tape, ala Beagle, help this out of round condition? Also, I wanted to hollow point this mould. Should I just send it back to Lyman? What are the chances of getting at least a .430 bullet out of that alloy?
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Master
    Eric at http://www.hollowpointmold.com/ can take care of the out-of-round condition and hollowpoint it.

It the mould is new, return it, as it is well out of manufacturing tolerances. Beagling will probably exasperate the problem.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    The .431 measurement.. Is this on the "seam" where the two halves meet or is it 90 degrees around on the smooth side ? When the blocks are closed are they lineing up correctly along the seam?
    Are the two block halves closing completely ? With sprue plate open close the block halves . Hold up to a good light sorce looking into a cavity.. any light coming through ?
    Take one of those cast boolits and run it through a .430 die then check the diameter ?
    These are basic items any mold can suffer and need to be looked at. Send a mold in & you are looking at " How long before you see it again" ?
    Except for the case of bad alignment of the block halves I tend to correct simple conditions and move on with my casting.
    If all you need is a fatter boolit try 75 % WW. you will gain a bit more diameter.
    Hollow points.. If you just need a few HP´s a hardwood block with a little drilling and you have a drilling jig. A drill press is a real asset with this procedure but not impossible with a hand held drill.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I wouldn't worry about .0015 roundness, cherry cut molds aren't going to be round anyway.

The concern is the .4295, I like .431 minimum. As mike says try 75% WW to make the small side bigger and if the small side in 90° to the seam then beageling will help.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

I tend to think that by the time you shove that bullet down the barrel with 30,000psi or so it will probably exit fairly round.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master
    I usually measure on both sides of the seam. When run through a Push thru .430 sizer, It touches slightly on one side of the seam. Measuring there and at 90 degrees, it is still out of round and yes, the small diameter is the main worry. If the whole thing measured .431 out of that alloy, I'd be quite happy. I really don't want to go harder and limit the expansion. If I do, it will have to be for the magnum loads and I wanted it for less velocity. I got the gas check mould so that I could shoot HPs of soft alloy and especially out of a ported gun. I'm going to use it again this AM, but with my locking mould handles and see what happens. If it's still not right, I think I'll return it and see what happens. I would hate to send this out to Erik for hollow pointing if it's not right. As far as drilling a HP, I just dont beleive they work as well. Although, I've not tried a cavity made with a center drill yet.

Boolit Master
    Well, the test was interesting. New alloy and a set of locking mould handles. Minimum is now .428+ and maximum is .430+. Running through a .430 Lee push die, the die touches just to the right of the parting line. Turn the bullet 180 degrees and see the same thing. I'm sending it back for exchange.

Boolit Master
    I think you made the right decision.

Be sure to ask for a pre-paid shipping label or a postage credit.

Banned

sounds like the cavs aren't lining up quite right either.
    the last two lymans and one rcbs have had the alignment pins needing attention.