MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ram Prime

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    [QUOTE=dagger dog;1394544]4fingers,

I only weigh a buck fifty, how else am I supposed to seat um! QUOTE]

"I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Like others here, I've used just about every priming tool that came down the pike at one time or another. I had one of the original Lee Auto Primes, but the thumb pressure required was enormous. My RCBS, which operates on the same idea, has a formed handle for your hand and is much less tiring.

I like the ram prime system, no matter WHO makes it. With a standard reloading press you have tremendous power available, although the operation can take longer. This came in handy not long ago with a batch of very old CCI primers. Using the RCBS hand tool, it was IMPOSSIBLE to seat the primers. I switched to the ram prime and seated them all, but with an inordinate amount of force. The seated primers were distorted, so I measured a few and found they were several thousanths out of spec...evidently a quality control issue for CCI some years ago. That ram prime sure seated 'em though!

Boolit Master
    +1 for the RCBS bench priming tool. Very fast and very reliable, though I consider it rather pricey. It hasn't changed any that I tell since the one I bought in the early '70s.
    Can't feel anything when I prime on a Dillon 1050. Even if all I do is primer a single case, I can't feel it. However, it will seat a primer the same way every time.

Boolit Master
    If my primers are that hard to seat I would use something better. I try to only use Winchester primers and get CCI as a backup.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee still makes the Ram Prime but dropped the Auto Prime II which was like a Ram Prime with feeder tray. I think the safety prime replaced that because it works on the newer presses with in ram priming arms and keeps the tray of primers away from the one being seated avoiding possible chain reaction explosions.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hk33ka1 View Post
    Lee still makes the Ram Prime but dropped the Auto Prime II which was like a Ram Prime with feeder tray. I think the safety prime replaced that because it works on the newer presses with in ram priming arms and keeps the tray of primers away from the one being seated avoiding possible chain reaction explosions.
    When I first got mine, I had a lot of trouble with primers flipping and feeding more than one. I have it down pat now, but I suppose they had a lot of users complaining.

I find that the absolute must do thing with these is to lower the ram arm slowly and carefully. When you see the primers move, stop and move the arm up a little to cut off extra primers getting into the act and causing a jam. Not really satisfactory, but with care a good, useful unit that is very consistent with seating depth. If I get involved in long range rifle shooting again like I plan to, this will be my priming set up as it is so consistent. Hunting stuff will get loaded on the Hornady LnLAP, Rock Chucker, Lee Classic turret press, RCBS hand priming tool or Lee handheld primer tool.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12