RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: cast bullets in .30 carbine blackhawk

Boolit Mold

cast bullets in .30 carbine blackhawk

i heard there were some heavier cast bullet loads for the 30 carb ruger blackhawk. and im mostly interested in blunt nose bullets. i have the 311410 and the 311359 (i think thats right) but i like the blunt nosed bullets with a wide meplat, but loaded they cannot exceed the length of the blackhawks cylinder and with no crimp, as that causes problems. other that lbt's bullets is there a bullet profile out there like im describing. i make my own gaschecks.
    if anyone has any ideas, please email them too me at oldmantoo491@hotmail.com. ive been reloading for 50 years and i have just about every caliber of handgun there is for sporting purposes all the way up to my great love the.500 s&w loaded with a 440 gr wln lbt bullet. please reply a.s.a.p.

Boolit Master

the carbine
    mag will be problem. need to watch the OL as they wont feed .. the 311316 works very good
    the 359 is pointed and will need to seat past the top drive band

Ditto311316, 3118 (or 311008 - same boolit, no gascheck). NOE314640 is a 118 gr rngchp and is an awesome boolit for 30 and .32 caliber revolters (my choice). Yer right, can' get much more boolit in the Ruger without seating deep and losing performance. BTW the carbine is rated at about 40,000 psi. The blackhawk can go much higher (until cases stick). My 311316 load is probly doing 1500fps, and is 1.5 grs over max H110. A true smaller sized magnum cartridge.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    I have the 311008 mold and they work well in a carbine and they have a good flat point as they were meant for the 32-20. I have used them in a black hawk as well as a 32-20, 32 S&W and in a 30 carbine and 30-30 rifle. Works good in all of them. You need to seat them deeper in the case for the carbine to get them to feed.

Boolit Master

Think this is what you're looking for.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByF...ine%20Load.pdf

Years ago, Paco Kelley experimented with loads using Lyman's 311440 in the .30 Carbine Ruger. Several years ago, I read his articles and attempted these same loads along with some of my own.

They're hard hitting loads but there is agreat deal of trouble getting them to acheive stabilization velocity without getting excess pressure.

Check it out and see if it's worth the trouble./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

+ another for the 311316. I had my best results in the Ruger .30 carbine with it. Ble Dot gave very good results at the top end and Unique did very well in the middle velocity range. Bullseye at 3.2 gr over a Hornady 90 gr swaged .32 SWC (pushed through a .311 Lee sizer) was my "plinking, small game load.

Even the 105 gr GC'd 313631 SWC made for the .32 H&R Mag did not do as well as the 311316 at 118 gr in the Ruger .30 carbine revolver.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

I have been shooting Lee's 115gr RFN and 120gr RN in my 1895 Nagant revolver and my M1 carbines. These will probably work in the Blackhawk also, or is the OP looking for heavier boolits?