Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Last Sunday Afternoon Smelting Pictures

Boolit Grand Master

Last Sunday Afternoon Smelting Pictures

Finally got some decent weather and fired up the smelting pot. Ended up with a 142# batch of odd soft stuff and 410# of cable sheathing. Still have maybe 400# of cable sheathing left, then I guess I'll start sorting wheel weights. A friend showed up to do some case prep with my Giraud tools and drink a little beer, and got drafted for smelting duty. Forgive him for wearing the Auburn sweat shirt, he don't know any better!

this was the driveway score from my favorite phone man. there is about 800# of cable sheathing

This is a pot full of odd cable sheathing and sheet lead. It produces 142#.

My friend Roy using my new ROWELL Ladle

This is the landing zone for the finished product.

Boolit Master

Sweet! Going to be me next week. Glad you had some great weather.
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Boolit Master

That looks great! That is one nice phone man friend you got there. Better keep him happy!
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Wow. At first glance I thought that was a single ingot mold. I was jealous!

Boolit Master
    Kinda looks like you were inside a garage. It musta "smelt" bad in there.

Yep, keep that cable guy happy.

prs

Boolit Master
    Auburn sweatshirt is probably pretty good for smelting, changeing oil and sloppin' hogs.

Boolit Grand Master

Thank for the reply's, everyone. Yeah, The Phone man knows where the beer fridge is located, and that haul scored him a case of Octoberfest, plus the fact that he can stop by anytime! Yes, that was inside my shop, but I have a large exhaust fan in the gable end that will change the air several times a minute. It does a good job, what with the both the overhead door and the walk in door open. I have 6 RCBS/Lyman/Ohaus/Saeko molds that I use plus my buddies Lee mold. About the time I get the last one full I can dump the first one and start over. After about 3 cycles I have to slow down and let them cool, perfect time for a quick beer break!

Somewhere in all that clutter there is a welding machine. I have thought about making a few larger ingot molds, like out of 1-1/2 channel, but the molds that I'm using seem to be ok. The melting pot will hold a little over 400#of molten lead and the homemade burner will melt it pretty quick. I have the material to make a bottom pour pot like Shadowcaster uses, but I'm not sure how many more times that I will have to do this to have that 'Lifetime Supply'.

The next session will be to sort a bunch of wheel weights. I'm kinda dreading that project. I had a pretty good year scrounging last year!. Oh well, the addiction is alive and well! Lets see some more of you Guys pics! Lightman