Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stevens 44 .32 rimfire action

Just as with most other single-shots, you'll have a hard time making an extractor that will work with rimless brass. Go with something that has a rim.
    Cognitive Dissident

Actually it is listed as a semi rimmed cartridge. In the reamer catalogs the reamer for the .32 auto is listed in the rimmed cartridge caliber section.

Boolit Master
    My .32 long bolt action shoots and extracts the .32 acp just fine.

The .32 acp rim is thinner than the .32 rimfire, 32 colt or .32 long, but if you cut the chamber for .32 acp in the barrel with the rim cut to the correct depth, you could use a .32 rimfire extractor with little or no modification.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Thanks for the info. I'll probably go that route what with having a Savage mod. 1915 in .32 acp. That way I could have a little carbine and pistol in the same caliber. Also I have heard that these calibers in this length [22"] are fairly quiet.

As luck would have it, y'all, there is this thread over on the ASSRA forum:

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Ya...m=1314499892/0

Shows details of the rather rare hammer that Stevens used to support the breechblock in a few of the .32-40 and .38.55 models. I've been hoping to see one of these for years. Properly fitted-up, the lug on the hammer will take some of the force off the link pins. Still doesn't make the 44 as strong as a true rolling block or a falling block, but it is interesting.
    Cognitive Dissident

Thanks for the link. They may be working on the site, couldn't connect with the link or trying off Google. will keep trying. uncle jed

Boolit Bub

Any recent updates to this thread?

Does the semi-rimmed 32 ACP offer enough purchase for reliable extraction in the Stevens 44 action?

Boolit Master
    I don't know if you would call me credible or not but I saw a beautiful factory engraved Stevens with the 44 action in 32-40 that had cracked the reciever with a mild load of 4227. The owner had decades of reloading experience with old single shots. The action was welded and the rifle converted to to 22 LR.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Just had one in last week that someone had put a 32-40 barrel on. It did not have the hammer block so I told him it was dangerous and he let me install a 25-20 SS barrel on it. The pressure of the cartridge is there so you can figure bolt thrust. Here's a picture that shows what can happen when pressure/ bolt thrust gets to high. The gun was a 25-20 that someone rechambered to 25-35.

Both blocks came with the gun, one had been welded back together and was not strait.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12