Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confused on mold buying!!!!!!!

the Lee 155 "Harris" tumble lube or standard is one of my favorites.i use Eds original NEI #72 but its the same thing.it's a sub MOA bullet in good rifles and can be sized to .310 with no problems in accuracy.I have shot over 1500 of them in my Saiga .308 this last few months and its hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by runnin lead View Post
    As far as winter hitting early there get some snowshoes .
    Winter hits earlier here and stays longer spent a halloween weekend in the 90's hunting & camping -26f.
    Order the 311299 for next year & for now get the RCBS 165 Silhouette & do what you can till winter, after that get out the snowshoes.
    That will give you 2 good molds & you will never ever need or want a new .30 mold for the rest of your life.

Well part of the above is true.
    my 165 Sils run too small for me.Both i have cast barely over .308/.300.They dont shoot as well as the larger 180 SP RCBS in most rifles.maybe my two are just the odd ones.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    my 165 Sils run too small for me. Both i have cast barely over .308/.300. They dont shoot as well as the larger 180 SP RCBS in most rifles. maybe my two are just the odd ones.
    Must be a difference in molds, my RCBS 165 cast at .3102" with a nose diameter of .3015" and with WW @ 171 Gr.

Your right though, the RCBS 180 SP is pretty tough to beat for accuracy.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    "but i don't want to wait a long length of time to get it! "

Tom at Accurate Molds will fix you up!
    I don't know what his schedule like at present, but I have yet to wait longer than 10 days. 3 out of 4 molds I have from him, were less time than that.
    Dave

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I know you're not a Lee fan, but Lee makes a nice tumble-lube boolit for the baby Soviet that should be the ticket for short-throat .308s.

Gear
    You must have me confused with somebody else, I have no problem with Lee products, and have quite a few of them. I just don't care too much for their 2 cavity moulds, but if they're the only way to get a particular boolit design, than that's what I'll do. Heck, for under $20.00 how far wrong can I go?

Actually I was also thinking that tumble lube would probably be the way to go when using a boolit that would otherwise have exposed lube grooves, rather than having a conventionally lubed boolit with the lube grooves exposed.

As for the Harris designed boolits, if they work out well for me, I could probably buy a mould from Accurate Molds that duplicates the Lee boolit so I could get it in a brass 4 cavity mould. Tom might already have such a boolit listed, I'll have to check his website.

I have about 20 rounds of 7.62x39 that I loaded with 31141's seated to the crimp groove over 20.5gr of H4895, other than possible feeding problems, what other problems might I have with these?
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee C312-155-2r in my Savage 99, 300 Savage with exceptional results. It too suffers from a short neck.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

My vote is for 311299, if you use 5744 and crimp in the crimp groove everything will be fine.

I also use Lee 308-190 which is a flatnosed GC, it works well in -06 & .308 also, and probably be better for hunting cuz of the flat nose..

Both of these boolits keep all of the lube grooves and gas check in the case neck when crimped in the top groove.

IF you are that concerned that you will get a bad mould from Lyman then have Accurate moulds make the same mould their way. That should be a winner and probably not cost much more than the Lyman.

Bullet on left of pic below is 311041 Lachmiller clone. It is for the .30-30 and seats too low in the shorter neck of a .308 case so the gas check is in the case. Middle is 311299 195 gr and right is .308-190 Lee.

My .02

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-28-2011 at 06:51 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Willyp View Post
    Last week,i ask"What would be the most accurate mold for my 308?" I good alot of very good advice,but now i am confused.
    I know my 308 Win.cases have a short neck,as compared to the 06,and i don't want the gascheck going below the bottom of the neck,OK. I understand that i should order a group buy NOE mould,but i don't want to wait a long length of time to get it! Winter hits here pretty early!!!!I hear Lymans are not up to the machine work they once were,so i have second thoughts on their products?
    Please de-confuse me ! Which mould or moulds,will cast a bullet to fit my case necks. What would be a good cast bullet weight to use? My guns have factory chambers and a 1 in 10 twist barrels.
    I am thinking a 170 t0 180 grain? But which mold will cast a bullet that won't have it too deep or grease rings out of the case???
    I have a couple of Lee's,a 160 and a 180,30 cal moulds. They work well,but i seem to ruin them when i use them. The sprue plate cut grooves in th top on them and messes the up? Also,its been a few years since i've used them,but i think that these are seating to deep or too shallow,in the 308 case?
    Oh,why do i do this to myself!!!!!!
    Willy if your having trouble with the Aluminum Lee molds and alloy buildup on the sprue plates....Clean up those sprue plates and dress the tops of the molds and get some BULL PLATE, use it and that won't happen no more... "PJ"
    U.S. Army Veteran, RVN 69-70, D trp.(AIR) 3/4 Cav, 25th Inf. Div. CUCHI, Helicopter Crew Chief
    Call Sign CENTAUR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12