MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most accurate revolver out of the box.

Moderator Emeritus

I have an older (mid 70s) Mod 57 that drives a .411 boolit pretty straight for me,
    I bought it from a collector who was unloading his collection a few years ago,
    it looked unfired to my eyes.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I've purchased 27 revolvers in 27 years and keep my targets in 3-ring binders. The most accurate revolver I've owned was a 3rd generation Colt SAA 7 1/2" barrel in .357. I've owned a S&W 1950 .45 ACP and and old S&W Model 29, neither were that accurate for me. I've owned several other Model 29's and they shot OK but that's all. I've never owned a S&W 657 or 586, never a FA or Python. I'm looking at the S&W 657. The most accurate pistol I've owned was a Sig 226, but shooting it about as exciting as kissing your own sister.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    That is the most argumentative post that one could post.
    I don't think so. Nobody is crapping in the thread yet. So let's not start now.

This is supposed to be a friendly thread just to spark conversation, not arguments.

Banned

ANY MAKE IF BUILT RIGHT! It is the luck of the draw and is the percentage of good to bad in the end.
    I have issues with every make and every make can be accurate or not.
    It is why I sell off those with a big problem. It is why when working on revolvers, some are exceptional and others are scrap no matter who made the gun.
    Lets say you buy 100 guns from one maker, all the same. 50% are super. The next 100 from another will have 80% super and the next 100%. What would you buy every time?
    It is why I said to buy 10 Dan Wesson revolvers at their bad time, find a good one and sell the rest.
    Dan Wesson made super, super accurate guns at different points but management always ruined things and there is where the problems start.
    It is not the gun, it is management and how much they can save and make. Use one cutter for 10,000 guns will save a few thousand.
    Using every barrel will save thousands. It goes bang and the general public has no idea.
    I look at it this way. A company that makes screws has thousands fall on the floor. They are swept up and scrapped even though there is nothing wrong with them. That adds to the cost of the others.
    If you measure and toss bad barrels, that adds to the cost of the rest. Less profit!
    Over size or undersize revolver throats is a huge loss if tossed.
    Management, the boss. I know, I worked for UAL and had the boss hold off a few hundred bags to get a plane out on time because they arrived too late. Passengers had no luggage at destination and it cost a fortune to send the bags. Not one single passenger would object to a delay to get their bags.
    Fly to Africa and your rifle does not show up for a week!
    Do you not see it is management and no company is immune if management changes?

Banned
    cajun shooter:
    Have fun and please print your results. Later David
    I agree. Results and load! What you did and how you did it. What you have done. Show us your work. Anybody can say anything, but I don't believe. I need to see with my own eyes!

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    My Dan Wesson caliber.41 magnum with a 8" barrel. Bought it in 1983 and won the IllInois State AAA Sillywet revolver with it. All I needed to do was turn the barrel to within .001 of the cylinder and tighten the barrel nut. 210 grainers with a good dose of 296. Creedmore style hold and that revolver will do rifle groups out to 200 meters. Most accurate revolver I have ever owned. Still have it also and will never get rid of it.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I will catch flack but -

Model 28-2 with 6 in barrel - factory sights - one ragged hole at 25 and 1.5-2 at 50. Shot PPC with it in the factory gun class.

Bought that revolver about 1980. Shoots heavy loaded 38's and 357's just about the same.

I still have it and bought another one a few years ago at a gun show - it don't shoot as well as the one from 1980! (Yes they are both 28-2's)
    Big Bore = 45+

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    That is the most argumentative post that one could post. In all my years of shooting any of the listed guns could win on a certain day with the correct ammo, weather conditions, and shooter.
    It is a question that good take years to prove or disapprove and then the final answer that was deemed correct would not be the same if any of the variables were changed.
    While working as a police instructor/armorer I have seen many guns deemed impossible to hit with. That very gun could be picked up by a skilled person and hit the center with each fired round.
    I am in no way trying to spoil your fun but lets start another poll on one of the automotive forums and ask which is the best truck, Chevrolet, Dodge Ford, or Toyota?
    Have fun and please print your results. Later David
    I am just going by the firearms I have owned. I can hit further and more consistently with the 4" Python.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

1982 Dan Wesson 44 VH!!! It is by far the most accurate I own or have personally ever shot! I know there are probably some single actions that would or could be more accurate, but for an out of the box ..... I don't think you could go wrong. That many Silhouette shooters wouldn't buy them if they weren't that good.

Rich

Boolit Master
    I won 2nd place in NRA Long Range Silhoutte 1995 with a Ruger Super Redhawk. I won the Super Redhawk in a police match with a Security-Six 6". I'm very proud of getting 5 shots in 5" at 100 yards with my Colt SAA .44 Special with 100% Linotype cast RCBS 44-250-K, but that took a lot of work. Those FA look like like great guns and Smith and Wesson is making great guns, I've toured the S&W factory. I think it was Dick Metcalf that was getting sub minute of angle groups with is scoped 657, the S&W does cost less than a FA. I think this is a great post.

Boolit Master

I was at the recent IHMSA Western Championshipsas a spectator.
    The only gun that was being used in Big Bore revolver was Freedom Arms.
    Handgun metalic silhouettes is very demanding.
    Seems a logical conclusion that the FA was the best.
    Better have a fat wallet when you buy one.....dale

FA83, followed by my Ruger .357 flattops. After that, my Accusport Ruger Bisley in .45colt/.45acp.
    Raisin River Ron
    SASS Gamer Gunfighter
    NRA life member #11299435
    SASS #49617
    Wolverine Ranger #490
    bold #451
    Monroe Rifle & Pistol Club
    and Sheepdog at heart

Boolit Grand Master
    I have two Colt Pythons, I have had 2 others, I like my S&W 14-3, and the Ruger 44 Special BH I just got is the first truly special 44 Special I've ever owned. But Freedom Arms made some amazing guns back inthe late 80s. No other stock revolver that I have seen could match them--though given that they cost half again what a Python did, they should.

Boolit Master
    Smith & Wesson.

Every K-22 I've had over the past 40 years was superb out of the box...and a trigger job made them even better. I've been trying to buy back the last one I sold at double the price and no luck so far. The new 617 six inch is good, but a trigger job is badly needed.

A six shot 627 from the 90s is a jewel also. Looks like a 629 Classic and "shoots like a rifle." It doesn't get shot much, but it ain't going anywhere either.

I had a 5 inch 610 from the early 90s also. First twelve shots at 25 yards...with lead boolits....cut down a two inch tree behind the target. It's long gone since I got into cowboy action shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    Over the last 40 years, I have owned probably 150 revolvers. There were only a couple that were capable of shooting cloverleafs at 25 yards, but surprisingly one of them was a 2" nickel plated S & W mdl 49. It was simply unbelievable from such a small gun with a short barrel, but it would outshoot every other revolver I owned at the time.

The other guns than ran in this one's company were a Colt Officers Model Match in 38 and a S & W mdl 14.
    In these parts, often one's very life may depend on a mere scrap of information.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Pure luck to get a really accurate gun out of the box. Even BR rifles can have their accuracy problems from the "factory" unless proven by the maker before sending them out. Probable cause is the expansion-contraction of the barrel metallurgy as well as its grain structure per se on an individual gun. Very seldom are the accuracy errors due to machining. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    I have owned a bunch of good revolvers that shot well but as far as best it would have to be the Colt Python 6 inch I had followed at a really close second by a Colt Dimondback 4" 38. I have and had others that were nearly as good but those two were the cream of the crop.

Banned

Exactly what I meant. I had a model 27 that I was able to hit 1" targets at 100 from prone. Had many 29's that would do 1/2" at 50 meters.
    One of the silly, most accurate revolvers I ever had was the Ruger .357 max.
    But every maker can turn out a bad one. Had a K22 and a K38 that were so unreal it is hard to explain but I have shot many more that are not even close.
    Even a super expensive custom gun can be off. Send your gun off for thousands in work to find an out of box Ruger will beat it is a bad feeling.
    I even shot a fantastic bunch of groups at 50 yards with a Taurus .44.
    It can't be predicted!

Boolit Grand Master
    are these groups you all speak of "having a good day"
    or are they consistently shot as such ?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    are these groups you all speak of "having a good day"
    or are they consistently shot as such ?
    Having a good day means the revolver is capable of delivering great accuracy -- JMHO!
    Semper Fidelis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast