Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: squirrel recipes

Boolit Grand Master

squirrel recipes

man all this talk of squirrel hunting
    makes me wonder
    can some of you squirrel hunters post a recipe
    or two for them
    I tried them as a youngen but didn't know what I was doing then (not to say I do now)
    Thanks
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

me too had tree rats as a kid i did not cook them but they were good
    me and my son are going squirrel hunting this week end i told him we shoot it
    we eat it i cook it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master
    Young squirrels are best for frying, old tough ones for stews.

Dredge in flour with a little salt and pepper, then fry. If the squirrels are older (hence tough) you can still fry them, but jsut before you think they are done put about 1/4 cup of water in the skillet and cover loosly until the water boils away.

Robert

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Me, I like squirrel simmered in gravy and the gravy sopped with biscuits. About six weeks from now, you'll find a pot of squirrel 'n' gravy bubbling over my campfire. Me and my tent will hit the woods near the end of September, and the season opens Oct 1.

1. skin & quarter a squirrel
    2. make a roux or boil a squirrel in water with added flour and brown gravy mix or Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce. Add salt to taste.
    3. simmer the squirrel until tender, at least two hours.

Note: plain ol' 59¢ Wal-Mart brown gravy dry mix is almost as good as from scratch gravy.
    Last edited by Junior1942; 08-23-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    Recipe forum on squirrel dog central. Lotsa squirrel recipes. I don't have a squirrel dog now but I'm a lookin for one. My dog died this spring and ..... In fact I'd rather hunt qwuirrels with a tree dog than hunt with my MLs. 10 ga

http://www.sqdog.com/forums/index.php?showforum=60

good stuff there!
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master

Gray Squirrel season opens here Saturday. Yeah....dale

Boolit Master
    Coincidentally I just finished dining on squirrel chili verde. Normally I let them be but they have been stealing my granny smith apples. So, I have started capping them with my RWS 52 pel gun -- head shots. I have some pelts stretched out but not sure what they will be fashioned in to.
    ph4570

Smile

Sept 1 season open here, just to early I will not kill them for awhile. It is to hot and they have that fly larva in them. And they are no good and the old sows that are on there 2nd litter are full of milk so you kill her, meats no good and just killed the future young ones. So I will wait rather than waste them. They sure are good when the time comes. I am by no means starving so I wait till the first frost.
    As I was told when I was a child; your elders will make you smarter if you listen. Then when you are older your elders will teach you WISDOM.
    300winmag

Smile Squirrel recipes

Squirrel and dumplings is good also. Just cook like you would with chicken an use lots of black pepper. uncle jed

Boolit Master
    Here is the best one I have come across. Use 2 fox or 3 greys, skinned and quartered.
    ¼ c olive oil
    ½ t black pepper
    1/3 c lemon juice
    ½ t sugar
    ¼ t prepared mustard or brown mustard
    ¼ t salt
    ¼ t celery salt
    ¼ t garlic powder

Season meat with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil and brown the meat.
    Combine the other ingredients; mix well.
    Top the pieces with mixture.
    Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
    Check while simmering, you might need to add a little water to keep the meat from drying out.
    Last edited by quack1; 08-26-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: forgot one thing

ate a lot of moms pan fried squirrel as a kid, with a side of fried potatoes and fiddleheads.....umm good eatin.

Boolit Master

Skin, clean and quarter the squirrels.
    Dredge the the young ones in flour, season to taste and pan fry. Yummy.
    Cook the old ones in the slow cooker until tender. That means the meat falls off the bones easily to me.
    Pick the meat from the bones and shred it into a skillet with BBQ sauce of choice. Be careful of the small bones and shot if you use a shotgun.
    Grill buttered buns in a skillet or griddle.
    Add a salad and baked beans.
    Mighty good eating...dale

Boolit Buddy
    I always soak mine over night in some milk. Softens 'em up and takes some gamey-ness away (not that they're THAT gamey to begin with).

Here's what I do for crock-pot squirrel stew:

1. Cut cubes of pancetta or thick-sliced bacon. Fry bacon until crispy. Dump bacon into crock pot.

2. Dredge squirrel pieces in flour (or season flour, whatever), then pan-fry in bacon grease until browned. Remove squirrel and add to crock pot.

3. Toss in can of cream of mushroom soup in crock pot.

4. Toss in flavored bullion cube (meat, veggie, whatever) in crock pot.

5. Pour in one can of stock (again, meat, veggie, chicken, whatever; I can never tell the difference).

6. Turn on crock pot to Low and simmer all day about 6-8 hours.

7. Sometimes I add a small can of spicey Rotelle for kick. Add other seasonings to taste.

8. Serve with dollop of sour cream.

9. Result: AWESOME!

Squirrel opens up Sep. 17. CANNOT wait. I LOVE squirrel hunting. Honestly, I'll take that over deer hunting any day.

Emrah

Cast Boolits Owner

If you have a daughter, niece or granddaughter you could fashion a barbie doll "bear" rug for her.

Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    Coincidentally I just finished dining on squirrel chili verde. Normally I let them be but they have been stealing my granny smith apples. So, I have started capping them with my RWS 52 pel gun -- head shots. I have some pelts stretched out but not sure what they will be fashioned in to.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Buddy

I put that cream of mushroom and the quartered squirrels in with some chopped potatoes!

Boolit Man

When I was a much younger fella, Mom used to make squirrel & dumplings... It was Good!

Boolit Master
    I soak mine in a bowl of salt water in the fridge over night. Then brown them fast in a hot iron skillet with salt and pepper. Then I cut a bed of onions, celery and carrots into some butter in the bottom of an electric skillet, lay out the squirrels on top of the veggies and cook them on low for an hour. Serve the whole mess over mashed potatoes. I use to cook a mess of squirrels on Sunday afternoons during the season and take a couple with me to the mill for lunch every other day. I'd heat'em up in the lunch room microwave and if the secretaries asked what I was eating, I'd tell them, "Cats". Always got a reaction

Grandma Schenck taught me to cook them this way when I just just a whipper snapper.

BD

Boolit Master
    I love a good pot of brunswick stew, and have fried a pile of squirrel. The wife of the keeper of a georgia hunt club I used to go to made the tenderest fried squirrel I ever had. I kid you not, it was like kentucky fried chicken. She claimed to just soak it overnight in tenderizer, but I've tried several variations and never been able to equal hers.

Anyone have any ideas? I reckon you could parboil them till they are fork tender then fry, but I always figured you'd loose much of the flavor?

Boolit Master

My wife would pan fry the squirrel, then pressure cook them until tender.
    Even old tough squirrel will tenderize this way....dale

L Ross
    Squirrel pot pie. Pressure cooked, not too long you don't want em fallin' apart, 10 to 15 minutes. Pick the meat off the bones and go through it carefully so little bones don't end up in the meat. Then I dice up potato, carrots, onion and green pepper. I sweat those a little bit in a fry pan with a dab of good bacon grease. Make up a double pie crust. Line your pie pan with the bottom crust and mix up the diced squirrel meat with the veggies and your can of favorite cream of whatever condensed soup. Put on the top crust, crimp it and poke a few steam holes with a fork and bake until the crust is nicely golden brown. Also works for rabbit, (takes two grey squirrel to eqaul the meat of an average cotton tail), woodchuck, barn pigeon, heck even chicken. Left over gravy can be substituted for the soup.
    Remember, the target is the eye.

Duke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast