RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: cornbread sticks

Boolit Buddy

cornbread sticks

any tips on stopping cornbread from sticking to the pan? I have a brand new dark telfon, a corning wear and a pyrex. I have tried crisco, pam, veg oils and bacon drippings but the bottom sticks every time. Skinny

Boolit Master
    How bad does it stick?

Do you use butter in your recipy?

I have even made it on a colman stove in a small cast iron pan with a lid (6inch)
    and I can flip it like pancakes to cook the top
    (if burnt just turn it down more and cut off burnt part with a sharp knife

when cooking in Glass etc I melt my Butter for the recipy in the pan and then pour the butter in the batter and mix then pour batter in the warm butter coated pan

you can also try adding another egg to the batter (it will make it stick together better)

recipy
    JOHNNY CAKE (Cornmeal cake)

1 cup flour
    1 cup corn meal
    1/4 cup sugar (more sugar makes it tastier
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 beaten egg
    1 cup milk (if lumpy add more milk
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
    Mix together lightly until well combined. Pour into greased 8' square cake pan. Bake in 350 f. 40 to 45 minutes.

Cast iron pan method (with lid)
    (Can be done on a Coleman stove)

1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup corn meal
    1/4 cup sugar (more sugar makes it tastier
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 beaten egg
    1/2 cup milk (if lumpy add more milk
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/8 cup melted butter or margarine
    Mix together lightly until well combined. Pour into Heated buttered 8”round cast iron pan with a lid.
    Cook at low heat (the Temp you would cook pancakes)
    Flip once
    If burnt (burnt layer can be cut off)
    (I burn 1st one I make, every time)

Add butter and maple syrup

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Cast Iron, buy yourself a pre-seasoned Lodge skillet & never look back. Use that skillet for nothing but cornbread & more than likely you'll never have a sticking problem again. And if it's taken care of, your Great Grandchildren will use it for their cornbread.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Bring your skillet up to tempature in the oven, use lard or bacon drippings just coating the bottom of the skillet (who said corn bread had to be lo-fat)

That being said I buy small boxes of mix for convinence while camping, most of them are yankee bread with sugar in them. They have gotton a lot sweeter the last few years and sugary messes stick no matter what just like pinapple up side down cake. You can add corn meal to cut back on the sugar but why not start from scratch.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Buddy
    thanks for the tips ford and rick.
    I'll try meltin the butter in the pan next time and see how that goes, and thanks for the recipe.
    I'm gonna shop around and see if I can find one of those lodge 12 skillets, target has them for under 19 bucks online, hope they carry them in the stores.
    Thanks again

Boolit Buddy
    thanks dirt farmer when I get the new skillet I'll try that preheating. I bought a big bag of marie calenders cornbread mix at costco and it is just like a cake mix, way to much sugar. I won't eat it but friends and family love it so I'm gonna use it up, it does taste a bit better with a couple jalapenos diced up in it

Boolit Master

Try adding about/ more or less to taste, 1/2 cup of salsa to the dry mix as part of the liquid. I have been known to add crumbled sausage from breakfast to the mix.

Boolit Grand Master
    I heat up the bacon drippings in the skillet and pour in the cornbread mix, but leave a film of bacon drippings in the skillet.

After cooking, I let sit for about 5 min (tough to do) before I take it out of the skillet. It seems to stick if I try and take it out to soon

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    Bring your skillet up to tempature in the oven, use lard or bacon drippings just coating the bottom of the skillet (who said corn bread had to be lo-fat)
    We use Canola oil which makes a good pan of Bread. I pre-heat the skillet with some oil then I sprinkle a small amount of meal in the bottom to just barely brown before pouring the mix in. That makes for a fairly thick crust which to me is the best part of Cornbread.

A 6" skillet is just big enough for the two of us, then if we have guest for dinner we'll make it in a 10" skillet. Again those skillets are used for nothing else, but cornbread. It never sticks & cleanup is a wipeout with a paper towel.

Rick

Boolit Buddy
    thanks for the tips everyone, I'm off to shop for a cast iron skillet. Skinny

Boolit Master

Ditto on the cast iron and preheating in the oven. I just toss the pan into the oven when I turn it on. When the oven's up to temp, so is the pan.

I use a couple tablespoons of real butter. Drop it into the hot pan, let it sizzle and melt, swirl the pan around to get some up on the sides, then dump in the batter and back into the oven.

Of course, there's NOTHING wrong with the bacon grease, either...

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Master

Rick that is the secret, baking skillets are used for nothing else but baking. Just like the lube making skillet, but one morning my eggs were fried in a mixture of bees wax, crisco and olive oil. Eggs tasted ok and I learned not to leave the lube skillet on the burner for my wife to find the next morning.

Boolit Master

Rick that is the secret, baking skillets are used for nothing else but baking. Just like the lube making skillet, but one morning my eggs were fried in a mixture of bees wax, crisco and olive oil. Eggs tasted ok and I learned not to leave the lube skillet on the burner for my wife to find the next morning.
    Glad your eggs came out OK Taken care of, Cast Iron cookware will last for many generations. The best we can figure our 8" skillet is around 100 years old. Our DIL is using a skillet that belonged to her GG-Grandmother and it's still in good condition, especially after I burned 100 years of crud off & reseasoned it.

Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    So you are saying make sure all boolit lube ingredients are edible?

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I set out Friday to buy a new skillet strictly for cornbread but stopped at home depot on the way to target and bought all the parts and pipe I needed for a front yard sprinkler system.
    Hauled about 3 tons of top soil to the dump yesterday and got the trenching and pipe laid today. sprinkler heads are in place and back filled so tomorrow I'll hook them to the water main and it should be time to lay some sod
    I get that dang skillet sooner or later
    skinny

Boolit Master

This is the cornbread recipe at my house
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees

1-1/2 cup corn meal
    1/2 cup flour
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    Blend all this together thoroughly
    Blend/whip and then add:
    1 egg
    1 cup of milk

Stir until mixed, lumps are fine. Add 1/4 shortening/oil to hot skillet. We always put the skillet in the heating oven.
    Pour in mixture and bake for 15-20 minutes.

This makes the traditional "crumbly" cornbread of the South, not the "cake" cornbread. My grandmother (father's side) taught my mother (Missouri by way of Oklahoma--they had white bread!!) this back in the '40s. A note on iron skillets. My position is that a well seasoned and maintained cast iron skillet is a jack of all trades. If a family was lucky 100 years ago, they had 2. These were used daily for all sorts of cooking. I have 2 in my kitchen--8 inch and 10 inch. Both old Wagners, both well seasoned and maintained. I cook all sorts of things with them. Smother down Kale, Cabbage and Greens, brown ground meat, fry chicken or fish, grill steaks and chops. Use the 10 inch to make cornbread--little if any sticking. Learn to season and maintain these things and they work! Well seasoned, they work better than Teflon. Oh yeah, forgot the 10 inch Wagner griddle that we use for pancakes--perfect everytime. Clean with hot water and paper towels. Heat it up, spray with PAM then wipe off. Cool down, back in the cabinet.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    That is the same recipe I use for corn cakes. I don't even make regular pancakes any more, corn cakes are much better!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    This is the cornbread recipe at my house
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees

1-1/2 cup corn meal
    1/2 cup flour
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    Blend all this together thoroughly
    Blend/whip and then add:
    1 egg
    1 cup of milk

Stir until mixed, lumps are fine. Add 1/4 shortening/oil to hot skillet. We always put the skillet in the heating oven.
    Pour in mixture and bake for 15-20 minutes.

This makes the traditional "crumbly" cornbread of the South, not the "cake" cornbread. My grandmother (father's side) taught my mother (Missouri by way of Oklahoma--they had white bread!!) this back in the '40s. A note on iron skillets. My position is that a well seasoned and maintained cast iron skillet is a jack of all trades. If a family was lucky 100 years ago, they had 2. These were used daily for all sorts of cooking. I have 2 in my kitchen--8 inch and 10 inch. Both old Wagners, both well seasoned and maintained. I cook all sorts of things with them. Smother down Kale, Cabbage and Greens, brown ground meat, fry chicken or fish, grill steaks and chops. Use the 10 inch to make cornbread--little if any sticking. Learn to season and maintain these things and they work! Well seasoned, they work better than Teflon. Oh yeah, forgot the 10 inch Wagner griddle that we use for pancakes--perfect everytime. Clean with hot water and paper towels. Heat it up, spray with PAM then wipe off. Cool down, back in the cabinet.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!