Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 auto pistol

"Moderator Emeritus"

22 auto pistol

My Bride has taken a shine to my MKII standard model, so I am in the market for a new pistol for me.

This pistol will be used for plinking and maybe some hunting.

I have narrowed my choices down to either the Browning buckmark Micro, or the Ruger 22/45 4" slabside bbl.

I have some limited experience with the Buckmarks, all good, but it was years ago and with a long bull bbled one.

I have owned several Ruger rimfire autos, and all were very reliable and accurate. The only downside to them, is the reassembly.

Looking for reveiws, and comments on both.

TIA
    Krag35
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Boolit Mold
    I have a MKII 22/42 with the 5.5 inch heavy barrel. I absolutely love it. It was the first pistol I ever bought and I still have and shoot it. I've put untold thousands of rounds through it and I've only had one problem with it. The firing pin rebound spring broke on it once. I ordered a new one plus some spares and it was back in working order in no time.
    I consistently shoot 6-7 inch groups with it with a standing 2 handed grip at 25yds. I've practiced for bulls eye matches with it and with lots of concentration I've managed 3-4 inch groups at 25 yards at an indoor range with subsonic match ammo using the one handed bulls eye stance.
    I have nothing bad to say about this pistol. I love this pistol!

Boolit Grand Master
    The re-assembly sequence for the Ruger 22 LR pistols are their ONLY down-side. In terms of gun received per dollar spent, the Ruger is hands-down the best buy a-going. Gotta spend a LOT more money to receive only micro-better accuracy and reliability.

If you can scare up a SIG Trailside pistol, these shot very well for me. They are still in production by their generic maker Hammerli, marketed as the Hammerli "X-Esse". Get your wallet prepped, MSRP runs 700-750 bones.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Another plug for the Ruger 22 pistol!

I also agree with the idea that you'll need to spend a whole lot more dough for a very marginal performance imporvement.

The 22/45 is a gun I will own someday If I get one at the right price! Until then the 3 I currently own will keep me happy!

Boolit Buddy
    I like the 22/45 as well. great gun other than the assembly pains. another pistol you might consider is the sw 22A. its a good pistol as well and not that expensive.
    Have lead, Will cast

In Remebrance

I have a Mk3 22/45 bull barrel. It's the only gun I've seen that will almost out shoot my FILs High Standard Supermatic. I don't know about the takedown and reassy issues because mine hasn't needed any thing beyond a little Break Free and compressed air.

Boolit Master
    I have a ruger 22/45 MkIII with a slab sided barrel that shoots quite well. To date I have put several bricks of ammo through it and have yet to have a jam caused by anything except a dud round. I have never had it appart but do clean the bore about every 500 rounds worth. I also owned a buckmark and they are really nice quality pistols as well. I have been looking at one of them that has a 4 inch slab sided barrel for several months mow and if I had the money I would buy it not that I would get rid of the Ruger though.

Boolit Master

The new Ruger .22/45 with the wood grips sure is purty. One version now comes threaded, cool if you like suppressors. Wish Ramline would come out with a 14 shot mag for 'em, like you useta could get for the MKII's.

Would you like to have your Ruger back; the one your wife has taken? Then find a nice Colt Woodsman like the one below (Sport model) or the longer barrel Target model. They can be had for under $400 and will retain their value. The quality is first rate and they're accurate. Field stripping is quick and easy; reassembly is too. John Browning designed it.

Once she has wrapped her fingers around the grip and fired a few rounds, you'll be lucky if she even lets you touch it. She'll return the Ruger and you'll both be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post
    Would you like to have your Ruger back; the one your wife has taken? Then find a nice Colt Woodsman like the one below (Sport model) or the longer barrel Target model. They can be had for under $400 and will retain their value. The quality is first rate and they're accurate. Field stripping is quick and easy; reassembly is too. John Browning designed it.

Once she has wrapped her fingers around the grip and fired a few rounds, you'll be lucky if she even lets you touch it. She'll return the Ruger and you'll both be happy!

I don't remember ever seeing a Colt Woodsman for under $400! What's the chance I can get you to broker me a deal on one for less than $400?
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master
    Iver Johnson manufactured a straight forward clone of the Colt woodsman. I belive these were marketed as the "Trailsman". Only criticizm of these that I've heard was that the finish had a purple cast to it and was blotchy.
    Otherwise they got good marks.
    Last edited by Multigunner; 08-25-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbob View Post
    I don't remember ever seeing a Colt Woodsman for under $400! What's the chance I can get you to broker me a deal on one for less than $400?
    That one cost me $385 OTD at auction two years ago. I just got a 1st Series Target model (std vel. only) made in 1928 for $395 two weeks ago. The one below is identical to it except for the trigger. (This one was bought new by my father and is now mine.) They're out there if you look and have a bit of patience.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    At today´s prices.. I would get the Ruger and happily buy lots of .22´s with the savings if I was going new gun. Used.. get the Ruger and buy cases of ammo with the savings.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    a ruger or a buckmark. Can't go wrong with either

Boolit Master
    I have a Buckmark slab side and really like it. Check one out before you buy anything. As accurate, and much better out of the box trigger when compared to the Rugers.
    Last edited by cabezaverde; 10-08-2011 at 08:29 AM.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    you don't have to reassemble the ruger if you don't take it apart. it will work just fine without taking it apart. if it isn't broke don't try to fix it. the ruger doesn't give problems unless someone causes it. thats how I got my last one. someone had to take it apart and put it together wrong.

I also have the 22/45. I really did not like the way it felt in my hand, even though I have a 1911 addiction. I put the Houge Handall on it and it makes a great difference in the way it feels to me.

There is a guy over on Rimfire Central that machines the Mark IIs so they will take 1911 grips.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a S&W 22 A that is a good shooter. My mark one is it's equal but you see these on sale for around $200 ocasionally and take down is much easier than a Ruger.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I have a S&W 22 A that is a good shooter. My mark one is it's equal but you see these on sale for around $200 ocasionally and take down is much easier than a Ruger.
    I have one as well and I like the fact that the slide is already permanently set up with a rail for mounting a scope or red dot. Very accurate. I have a Bushnell Trophy red dot with a adjustable reticule on mine. I have owned several MK 1's and IIs over the years including a Gov Target Model and this Smith shoots as well as my Target model did.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    I'll chime in on the side of a good used Woodsman. The last two I bought, within the last three years, were both under $400. One of them cost $250- a pre-war 4½" barrel one. Deals on the .22 autoloading pistol that set the standard for accuracy and reliability way back when, and which can hold its own with new designs, can certainly be had with a little savvy shopping. At that point you'll have something that'll hold its value as well as never let you down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast