RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who was Lachmiller?

Boolit Master
    I started reloading in 1970. Then in 1973 I took up casting when I bought a Lachmiller sizer (with several dies and top punches) and 13 molds from a guy who wanted to start swaging. Two of the molds from this deal are Lachmiller 3-cavity designs: 429-240K and 454-255 RF (Colt) patterns. The sizer and molds wearing the Lachmiller name are top quality products. Still have and use all these. I got this entire lot for the outrageous sum of $110. Lately I have been known to invest that much in a single GB mold, just to put things in perspective. Other people must also like the Lachmiller products, as you rarely see them for sale. I also got married in 1970. Still have the same wife and boolit sizer at home. When you find a winner, you don't let it get away from you!

Thin Man

Boolit Master
    Lachmiller (Owl)--->Ohaus--->RCBS

Lachmiller made excellent equipment and is the foundation of the RCBS casting line. Their molds are milled for thin handles so be aware of that if you buy one.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Mold
    Mr. Henry W. (Hank) Lachmiller was a close friend of my family. He was born Sept. 8th, 1918 in Webster City Iowa, to Henry and Olga (Becker) Lachmiller. He was the 2nd youngest of 5 siblings. On Sept. 4th, 1938, Hank married the love of his life Ethel Hintz, whom he had known since she was in 3rd grade.
    Hank served in the U.S. Army in 1944 during World War II. He was a farmer, a machinist, as well as inventor. He moved to California to start his Machine Shop business 1941. He was an avid sportsman and was the inventor of the "Lachmiller Rapid Shotgun Re-loader."
    Hank ran his machine shop from 1941 until the end of the Vietnam War. His business was very successful, manufacturing various parts for the military, via the U.S. Government. It was the last deal he contracted to the U.S. Government, putting all his time & efforts into manufacturing parts for helicopters and procuring such contracts. It was shortly after gaining this contract that the Vietnam War ended, and the Government consequently canceled the contract which put Hanks Business into bankruptcy.
    It was Hank that I bought my first Motorcycle from. Even after his Son Raphael was killed in a motorcycle accident, Hank wanted to ride Motorcycles. He bought himself a Honda CT-200 (90 cc), which he soon dropped and decided that even a small bike could hurt you, (He broke his leg), and then sold me the bike.
    Hank & Ethel used to join my parents at their small cabin in Lake Arrowhead, Ca. and he and my father would work on building the cabin into a wonderful home next to a babbling brook on the mountain. Shortly there upon, Hank & Ethel bought the cabin 2 doors to the West of ours and Hank & My Father planned to retire there and spend their retirement fishing on Lake Arrowhead.
    Hank & Ethel were some of the kindest, most compassionate people I have ever known, and their friendship with my family had a huge impact on mine & my families lives.
    Hank passed away on Oct. 20th, 2012 at the age of 94 at his home in Lake Crystal, Minnesota.
    Hank is survived by his daughter Tammy, and Son in-law Bob, and his Brother Ray Lachmiller: along with 7 grandchildren 12 great grandchildren and 1 Great-Great Grandchild.
    May God Bless his soul !

Boolit Master
    Mentalhawk, first let me welcome you to cast boolits and let me tell you what a wonderful first post this is. It is so great of you to revive this old thread with such a good story and informative to boot. Thanks for shareing some of your info. My Lachmiller mold is one of my favorites and I recently shared a thread about it here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...eck-3-Cav-Mold Once again welcome and Thanks. Dennis
    Dennis Eugene "You know why no one panic buys 30-06? Because people who shoot 30-06 don't panic"

Very nice to see this info on mr lachmiller -- A very impressive life --
    I still use the press and primer tools -- hell for stout --
    I have some of the 1 1/4" (?) shot shell dies and while I have never used them they are also very massive - I think Herter sold a similar set.

Post No 23 has great information on Mr Lachmiller. Thanks for reviving the thread and for the information.

regards,

Boolit Mold
    I have 2 Lachmiller case length gauges, both are set up for .38, 45 ACP with the correct sleeves. If you need one PM me and I'll see if I can part with one.
    TB

i have an adjustable case length gauge / comparator type tool. discribed as a solid base with post and adjustable top plate has a .010" step, top plate is held in place with a small allen et screw. who among you knows these tools? no i don't want to part with mine, i would like another one or a few replicated off of it.

Boolit Master
    Lachmiller Forte I would Have to say was his Innovative Reloading designs. Many of the older RCBS tools were Lachmiller designs
    Primer tool ( copied By RCBS)
    Bullet sizer ( copied by RCBS)
    Powder measure ( copied by RCBS as uniflow)
    Lachmiller Powerhouse Press ( copied by RCBS as 4x4)
    Some of Lachmiller Presses were also Unique . His 100, and 400 It short stocky and Specific Tilt . makes It very strong.
    His later design Olympian 707 Truly Unique, Pyamid shape Cross between "C" and "O" press.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master

I have one of the Lachmiller 707 Pyramid presses and it is indeed unique. I like it because it is open and easy for wide hands to work with. Runs smooth also. james

My first press was an LEC, too bad Photobucket ruined so many good threads, like his one.

lachmiller dies are very good quality, but hard to come across.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    this place sells a copy of Lacmillers 1969 catalog.

http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/...p?item_id=4137

My 311041 .30 cal. Bullet Mould is a Lachmiller Mould.

I also have a 12 ga Shotshell Sizer. I completely refurbished it and it works great. Parts for it were still available form RCBS! It sizes the base of the hull and knocks the primer out. You do this to all your hulls and then wash them, and then when you load them the ammo is clean and runs perfectly. This tool works great!

I paid $20 for it and the new parts cost another $10 from RCBS Paint was $5 so I have $35 in it. Paid for itself the first time I used I!

Here's before and after pics of the tool.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Really nice restoration Randy. I have been seeing them lately on Ebay but never have seen one in person. They look like a really nice tool. Did you just polish that die or did you plate it? james

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	317296
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    I got lucky with my later model cam bench primer, it came with the kit with all the rods and the adapter for “standard” type shell holders so I was able to avoid having to find their unique ones. The shell holders are a bit different from modern production as the center hole is a bit bigger, lucked out there to as the shell holder it came with fits .45/30-06 cases.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ght=lachmiller

Boolit Buddy
    Sharpe's 1953 Third Edition of "Complete Guide to Handloading", page 255, discusses then-current Lachmiller products in good detail.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by canyon-ghost View Post
    This has been an interesting thread. And you're probably right, they may have never made powder. But the history lesson has been interesting. That's all amazing to me, guess it shouldn't be.
    Herters powder was rebranded Nobels Glasgow,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12