Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady One Shot

Boolit Buddy

Hornady One Shot

So I just received 2 cans of Hornady One shot "Gun Cleaner and lube" that I purchased here in canada. I mistakenly thought it was "Case lube" and this Gun cleaner can not be returned,,, its a very long story. It seems The One Shot case Lube can't be found anywhere here. Can I assume the Gun Cleaner can't be used as a case lube?? I was so excited to find what I thought was case lube. The cans look very similar.

Boolit Grand Master

Can't give you any advice on the cleaner since I've never used it. I have been using the case lube since it came out. I love it. Some hate it. When you do find some make sure you give it enough dry time. Thirty minutes minimum is recommended.

I do a lot of 223's and 308's on a progressive. A dry lube like Hornady One Shot doesn't gum up the progressives like some lub's do.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Nope, the Hornady gun cleaner is definitely not case lube. I use them both and there to completely different products.

It might work as a lube, but you're in uncharted waters.

If ya try it, one of two things will happen:
    1. It'll work just fine.
    2. You'll need your stuck case extractor.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I sprayed 3 cases very lightly about an hour ago and I just ran them through the press and it seems to have helped with sticking. No powder stuck to the case either which is a good sign. It seems to have dried pretty good with no sticky residue.

I remember reading somewhere that Hornady One Shot case Lube could not be imported to Canada for some reason.I know it used to be sold here but would love to know if its now no longer being imported.
    Last edited by dearslayer; 08-04-2023 at 11:19 PM. Reason: add question

Just about any lube will help get the case in and out of your die without sticking. The One Shot Case Lube’s selling point is that it will not affect your powder or primer. So, there is no need the remove the lube after sizing.

And what M-Tecs said, as well.

I am able to reload 300BLK, 30-30, 35 Rem, and 38-55 ammo in one trip though the Dillon 650 when using Hornady One Shot Case Lube—I do not trim them. Just prep the brass and run it though all 5 stations, and out pops a ready to shoot cartridge.

Don't know anything about the cleaner but I'm addicted to the case lube.

It greatly lessens the effort to operate a progressive. Important for my bad joints.

Boolit Master

Cases into a baggy, two sprays of lube, loaded rounds into a large towel roll them around takes off excess lube and to the range we go.

Clean the press with the hornady cleaner rinse and repeat

Boolit Master
    You don't want One Shot Case Lube anyway, ask me how I know?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    You don't want One Shot Case Lube anyway, ask me how I know?
    Seems as though more recommend it than those that don't. What is your experience with it that you feel that way?

Make your own case lube :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQn-8hMBHpI
    Works like a charm!
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Can’t help with the gun cleaner, but you can make your own case lube pretty easily. 10:1 ratio of 99% alcohol or Heet starting fluid, to 1 part pure lanolin. There are articles and YouTube videos on its use.
    Last edited by scattershot; 08-09-2023 at 04:53 PM.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

For me easier to buy can because it last couple of years.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used One Shot for years for all pistol and rifle cases. I set the brass case mouth facing me. I'll spray into the case mouth and case body before case sizing. After the brass is sized and trimmed I'll pin polish with a little extra Dawn in the drum. I use One Shot even with carbide dies as it makes every thing run smoothly. I also use One Shot to lube all moving parts on every reloading press. Hope you can source a supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by dearslayer View Post
    It seems The One Shot case Lube can't be found anywhere here.
    I’d say your pretty lucky. I still have most of a can of One Shot case lube, I only kept to show people how crummy is is compared to any decent case lube, even newbies can feel the difference.

The Hornady Unique case lube is pretty good though.

The Hornady One Shot lube did extremely well in rust prevention tests that were all over the web a few years ago. You might have lucked out and got a good product only for a different purpose. Now buy some Imperial Sizing Wax for case lube and you will be all set.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rcslotcar View Post
    I've used One Shot for years for all pistol and rifle cases. I set the brass case mouth facing me. I'll spray into the case mouth and case body before case sizing. After the brass is sized and trimmed I'll pin polish with a little extra Dawn in the drum. I use One Shot even with carbide dies as it makes every thing run smoothly. I also use One Shot to lube all moving parts on every reloading press. Hope you can source a supplier.
    I did manage to source some so I grabed enough to last the rest of however many years I have left.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I’d say your pretty lucky. I still have most of a can of One Shot case lube, I only kept to show people how crummy is is compared to any decent case lube, even newbies can feel the difference.

The Hornady Unique case lube is pretty good though.
    He found some, bought a lot, so maybe saved someone a stuck case disaster.

Kidding aside, is Unique made by Imperial? I like Imperial, but haven't tried Unique. I do think wax works good for most. But MG'd LC 7.62 that's been blinged in a wet tumbler with pins, might be the exception. I almost stuck such a case with Imperial....had to go back to the RCBS lube pad lube to size that stuff.

I understand with Hornady's Oneshot, you have to make sure it is dry before you size........is that everybody's take, experience?

Actually the best lube I ever used, I used only once......too much mess, and too much trouble.....STP oil treatment.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    He found some, bought a lot, so maybe saved someone a stuck case disaster.

Kidding aside, is Unique made by Imperial? I like Imperial, but haven't tried Unique. I do think wax works good for most. But MG'd LC 7.62 that's been blinged in a wet tumbler with pins, might be the exception. I almost stuck such a case with Imperial....had to go back to the RCBS lube pad lube to size that stuff.

I understand with Hornady's Oneshot, you have to make sure it is dry before you size........is that everybody's take, experience?

Actually the best lube I ever used, I used only once......too much mess, and too much trouble.....STP oil treatment.
    I think it depends on what your loading and have many rounds. I shoot over 12,000 revolver rounds a year, One Shot helps with the process on the progressive loaders. The few rifle I load every couple of years, I use Imperial Case Lube. So, I think it mainly is personal preference.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post

I give it a minimum of 30 minutes but mostly I spray the cases the night before. Normally I do batches of a 1,000 or more at a time. I know I've done 100K using Hornady One Shot. Actual numbers are probably closer to 200K. 80% of that were 223 and 15% 308 with a mixture of other cases. I do light spray pistol cases being sized in carbide dies but I am not counting them in the numbers. Only time I've ever had an issue was when I tried to size one 223 case before it dried.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast