Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on the octagon barrel

Question on the contender octagon barrel

Does the old contender octagon barrel fit on a 1979 contender. And is this barrel any good or should I wait and find a round barrel. I found a 357 mag. barrel 10" for a good price but I was looking for a 357 Maximum 14" tc barrel.
    Last edited by Wildwood-Lake; 08-20-2011 at 10:28 PM.
    When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
    -- Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Grand Master

Depends on how old it is. If it is one of the very early ones with the solid bolt and NO relief on the bottom of the lugs it will not fit.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I have a couple octagon barrels and they fit all of my frames that vary in ages from the early 70's through the early 90's.

old contender octagon barrel

Here is the barrel in question. Looks like the bottom of the lug is flat.

Click on the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails octagon.jpg  
    Last edited by Wildwood-Lake; 08-21-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Boolit Master

it should fit octagon barrels are thin i like the round barrels myself
    but if the price is right get it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I'm going to let it go and wait till i find a round barrel. Thanks for the information.

Boolit Grand Master

The 14" barrels tend to be more accurate than the 10" round. In my experience the octogans are the least accurate generally.

You haven't lived until you have fired a heavy load in an oct. 10" 44 mag.

In the light caliiber (22, 38) they are handy to carry and work well.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=leadman;1371869]The 14" barrels tend to be more accurate than the 10" round. In my experience the octogans are the least accurate generally.

You haven't lived until you have fired a heavy load in an oct. 10" 44 mag.

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

The Super 14 in .44 Mag is an eye-opener, too- after the flinch is over.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Once upon a time, I too had a 10 inch Contender: .30-30.

I had had bunion surgery on my right foot about 4 days before I got the gun. All in a lather to shoot this thing, my friend and I retired to our shooting range, set up a target and got out the Contender and a box of Remington 170gr. Core-Locked. My buddy helped me hobble to a firing position where I assumed the Creedmoor position. I took care to ensure that my heavily bandaged and padded right foot was clear of the line of fire but that was probably a waste of effort.

I took aim and pressed the wonderful trigger. The hold and follow through was steady as I saw the target and sight picture clearly illuminated in the ball of fire that erupted from the snout of this race gun. I also saw a lot of cotton wadding and bits of cloth fly before I closed my eyes in agony and let forth a chilling scream. My partner thought I had shot my self and so did I for just a moment. I had no holes but the muzzle blast blew some of the cotton padding and gauze bandage away from my freshly carved great toe of my right foot.

That target was center punched but I never hit much afterward with that flinch maker. Uff Dah!

I think the old octagon .44 mag Hot-Shot barrel with the external choke is an interesting handful with stiff loads as well. Mine has ripped the lug for the forearm screw off the barrel 3 times...
    Rick

Glad too see other appreciate the octagons - and that I'm not the only one to be left holding the forearm in one hand and the rest of the gun in the other.

Depends on Personal Preference as much as anything else, to gegin with.
    I, for one, muchly prefer the LOOK of an Octagon barrel over a clunky, unbalanced, round version. But I do have several of them ugly round barrels, too.
    I have a Contender with a .45 ACP 10" Octagon that will shoot [off sanadbags, I ain't quite so steady nowadays... On a good day. With enough sleep. And no caffine in my system. ] 10 rounds inside 2" at 50 yards, open sights.
    I say, gofer' it!
    ShootingLooney

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

My 10" oct barrel eye-opener came after I reamed my 357 mag out to seat a longer bullet in its crimping groove. A 190 gr cast bullet @ 1724 fps in a 2 lb 8.8 oz pistol was way too much for my right hand and wrist. I calmed it down to ~1400 fps, and it's still a handfull. It's why I always advise guys with handcannon fever to shoot one before they buy one. One shot might cure the fever.

But IMO, a 10" T-C barrel, octagon or round, is way better for thicket hunting than a 14" round barrel. It's much easier to hold out at arm's length.

In a 10" tube the Herrett does it better than the 30-30.
    The octagons are ok but the beef on the bulls helps to manage the shot after pulling the trigger.
    I agree that the 14's are most user friendly but that's a lot to tote around all day.
    Many of my super 14's wear a brake by David White that affords me to use them as a carbine then a sling assists their portage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Once upon a time, I too had a 10 inch Contender: .30-30.

I had had bunion surgery on my right foot about 4 days before I got the gun. All in a lather to shoot this thing, my friend and I retired to our shooting range, set up a target and got out the Contender and a box of Remington 170gr. Core-Locked. My buddy helped me hobble to a firing position where I assumed the Creedmoor position. I took care to ensure that my heavily bandaged and padded right foot was clear of the line of fire but that was probably a waste of effort.

I took aim and pressed the wonderful trigger. The hold and follow through was steady as I saw the target and sight picture clearly illuminated in the ball of fire that erupted from the snout of this race gun. I also saw a lot of cotton wadding and bits of cloth fly before I closed my eyes in agony and let forth a chilling scream. My partner thought I had shot my self and so did I for just a moment. I had no holes but the muzzle blast blew some of the cotton padding and gauze bandage away from my freshly carved great toe of my right foot.

That target was center punched but I never hit much afterward with that flinch maker. Uff Dah!

Regarding the early .30-30 Contenders, once upon a time (early 1970's, IIRC), I was cruising a New Hampshire gunshow, and came across a fella with a bloody patch on his forehead and carrying a new-looking .30-30 Contender, complete with a T/C leather shoulder holster.

When I asked him if he wanted to sell it, and how much did he want, he told me $100, because he was anxious to get shut of it for hitting him in the head when he fired it.

Soooooo, I bought the rig for $100 - then traded it (no cash difference) for an O/U shotgun while I was still walking around the show, about 30mins later.

Boolit Master

My first Contender, Way back When, was the 10" octagon 44 mag with choke and the old style wood stock.

Gadfry that thing could kick.

14" 45-70 witn my milder loads is not even close.

My 10" octagon 22 LR is the most accurate barrel I own, at least with some ammo that I have very little of and it is irreplaceable so 10 inchers can be accurate.

I would hold out for a bull barrel or the 14" Max you really are seeking.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    The T/C octagon barrels are good the only problem I ever have see with them is finding an octagon fore end to go with them. A friend of mine has an octagon .221 fireball and its his favorite barrel. If the price is right grab it you can always use it for trade material later if you don't like it.

Boolit Master

Just for the record this thread is from 2011 and I assume he has a barrel by now.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    I have a 256 win octagon barrel that is scary accurate, probably the most accurate pistol I have ever had. I've also got a 10" round 30-30 and love that barrel too. I can't figure out why people don't like them. It's accurate and recoil with factory ammo isn't bad. The one octagon barrel that recoils hard is the 44 mag. Ouch! I also prefer the looks of the octagon barrels. The blueing and polish job on them is excellent.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast