• Xpert

3 4.23%
  • Other

17 23.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22lr Brass Preference?

Boolit Master
    Well I just ran into about 2,000 of each so..... Kind of curious.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    Eley is one of my favorites. I have not tried the Lapua though.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ofreen View Post
    This is what I have observed too.
    Another vote from me.

Boolit Buddy
    I have tried all and have had no problems whatsoever. Just have to have a few different punch sizes at your disposal for the heavier brasses.

Some are telling Lapua/Wolf. So next time I setup to swage I am gonna find out. A buddy of mine sent me about 8K mixed & he shoots a lot of Wolf.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    ^^^ I think you will be happy.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master

Any of the true match 22 cases will make better jackets than regular 22 cases because they are held to closer tolerances. My favorite is Eley folliwed by Lapua, SK (Made by Lapua), RWS and Wolf MATCH cases. I make 52-55 grain bullets and use them in a 222, 223, and 221 Fireball with excellent results.

Boolit Master
    Of the brass that I've used I'd rank them this way CCI, Fed, Rem, Win . Though the Rems seem to make the real pretty bullets! But the CCI's seem to shoot the best atleast in my rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Christensen View Post
    I do not understand this. I have run more than 2,000 through my de rim die and have punched through maybe 5 cases, maybe...
    Agree, I have only made about 1000, mixed brass, never had a punch thru. Supposedly Tula/Wolf is made by Lapua & Lapua has always made great brass.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Eley is my favorite. The rest get lumped together. I just 1000 in the last week. They turned out well. I get my 22LR brass from donors and from mmbulk military brass were the 22LR brass was used as filler. Most of the military 22LR has been Eley.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Frosted Boolits

+1 on Eley.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Lapua

The only real difference I see is the Federals are a little thicker/heavier. When one goes to seat the core, you'll feel the press is now trying to over-compress the lead. The press tries to achieve a constant volume under the internal punch. If more of that volume is taken up by brass wall thickness, then for the same amount of lead the pressure will be much higher. Anymore I keep the core seat die loose, and while I'm going I find I have to adjust the die in/out to cope with the different inside volume of the brass casings.

Boolit Buddy
    I use BTSnipers pneumatic derim press and die. This makes the process easy and fast. The only cases that have a consistent problem with have been Winchester cases. I believe this might be that the case has a large mfg mark across the back that might weaken the brass slightly. I anneal after derim. If I anneal before I get a lot of punch thru and stuck cases. If I used a Q tip with swage lube on it and swabbed the inside,the annealed cases they would derim perfectly. I adjust my die for each brand for a consistent derim. All cases brands are a little different and you can hear and feel the difference when the press is in operation. I just picked up 30# of brass and need to clean and sort that out for my next session. Core seating and final weight is another question. For that I cut a lot of small pieces of lead from the bleed off die.

Boolit Bub
    I dont have a preference but use all brands. I do seperate and swage in blocks by brand. I make slightly different weight bullets based on brand as well.

Boolit Man
    Voted CCI because I shoot more Green Tags than most any other flavor. That said prefer Federal but Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match is too expensive to burn as regular practice ammo so use them less. Mostly run batches of mixed cases given to me by people who shoot whatever is cheapest and seem to run a lot of Remington most likely from Thunderbolts. If keep sage dies waxed the cheap mixed will draw out fine for steel banging but used matched CCI and Federal Match cases when mashing out varmint bullets. Function of supply for me.
    For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions. 2 Timothy 4:3

I just use Winchester T22 brass as its what i run through my 22 Comp pistols. The brass has been consistent for over 20 years..

Boolit Mold
    I use CCI 22 short brass to make Hornet and Bee bullets.

Boolit Master
    GONRA hasa precious stock of <500 1960's era COPPER .22 LR Lapua fired MT's that really dehead easily (home made Swag-O-Matic dies) and form nicely.
    7mm Nambu FMJ bullets, etc.

Boolit Buddy
    Once upon a time back around Y2K, when I was a tooling engineer at Nosler. I had a new set of 22 swage dies and access to a ball mic. I measured most major brands of rimfire brass to see how consistent the wall thickness was.
    Win, CCI and Rem all measured about .0005 variation. Lapua and Eley were very close to the same (maybe a hair better). Federal measured .0015 variation.
    So in conclusion, I will make bullets from pretty much any brand except Federal. But those results are 20 years old, things could be different now but I'm still using cases from that time.
    I have apple boxes full of spent Lapua, eley and Aguila, in the original boxes that I will never get to.
    Thanks
    Joe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast