Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Howdy everyone

Howdy everyone

First post here. Been lurking for a couple of weeks, decided to join. I have been a reloader since 1966, a caster since 1974, and a swager since 1992. I'm not new to this dance, but found some of the information here really good. My question is this: where have you folks been getting your rifle jackets from? The last time I ordered rifle jackets was from Berger for .30 cal (the 1.080" J-4), and it has been a while since needing to find a supply. The last set of .223 was from Corbins, and they are really good jackets also. My practice rounds for the .300 Win. Mag. are 190 gr. FB and 210 gr. RBBT, in a 10-s siptzer configuration, while my hunting loads are in 225 gr. using a 1.275" jacket. All are core-bonded. Can you folks help me by recommending a current supplier? Thanks in advance.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

Boolit Master
    Welcome. Hope you enjoy this site as much as I.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Corbin sells the 30 cal.. I am assuming you are looking for something less expensive than the Corbin jackets. I am still working on my second thousand from Corbin.. I like the jackets seem to perform well.
    I too make the RBT bullet.. and bond the cores (for the ones I use for hunting).
    Welcome to the forum..
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

Boolit Buddy
    Dear Grandpas50AE,

I think you will find that there are only a few suppliers of rifle jackets. There is Berger, Sierra, and Corbin. I have not tried any Corbin jackets myself.

Sierra currently has 30's in 1.155 length in stock on their web page under their "Store" pull down and in the jackets section. It is a little unfortunate that this is the only length they sell.

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with Bergers for quality and they have a larger selection to choose from. The only issue with them is the lead time as they run their jackets in batches.

I make (for myself) 30's in plain base 118g, 125g, 145g, 155g, and 165g. I also make boat tails in 155g, 165g, 175g, and 190g. All of these are made on dies that I have made myself.

Best regards,
    Martin

Thanks for the welcome everyone, and for the replies. I do have the Corbins website saved as one of my favorites, and have several sets of his H series dies for my Mega Mite press. I have lost the contact information for Berger, so a phone number or a web address for them would be appreciated. Also a Phone number or web address for Sierra if you have that. It has been a long time since I ordered from Berger, and even longer since buying any factory-made jacketed boolits, since I made a bunch of jackets from copper water tubing 5 or 6 years ago for the .30 cal. Haven't been very active at boolit making since my neck surgery 4 years ago, but have used up most of my supply that I made up before that. I'm just now getting back into active status on the casting and swaging.
    Thanks again for the warm welcome.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

Boolit Bub
    A internet search should bring up berger and a search for J4 jackets should get you sierra, look at www.brunoshooters.com they have some jackets also.

Greg in VA

Boolit Master

Much obliged for the info gentlemen. Thanks again. I have saved those websites for future use.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member