Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need instructions to learn how to swage.

Need instructions to learn how to swage.

I wondered if anybody knew where to find on the web how to swage bullets. I've found a set of .30 cal. Corbin dies but, don't know anything about using them. I can get a good deal on these but, before I buy I need to know what I'm doing. Thanks for any help.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    I am unsure if I have ever seen a video about swaging .30 cal but I have seen plenty on some other calibers. Check out this link. http://ammosmith.com/bullet-casting-...ging/index.php Hope it helps a bit.

Oh what style are they as well? M or S?
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Thanks, Utah Shooter. It should help me some. What do you mean by M or S style? See, I told you I didn't know anything.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

In Remembrance
    Click on this link roverboy:

http://www.swage.com/ftp/tools.pdf
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    Yeah that is a great link. You may need a press to go with those or may be able to use your reloading press. I am unsure though if Corbin made these .30 cal for a reloading press.

Either way great find.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    I don't believe they did, but maybe.

Boolit Buddy
    Richard Corbin of RCE has his swaging book on his website with downloadable chapters. Here is the link:

http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=RBSBook

Hope this helps
    Bret

You could check my sticky thread on making 22 cal bullets. The process is really not much different for larger calibers. You get to skip the whole jacket making process and just go with the core making, core seating, bullet formation and bullet pointing if you have the dies for that last step. There is also info available from some of the bench rest sites. Many of those folks prefer to shoot 30 cal and lots of them make their own. My thread presumes that you are going to make jacketed bullets. There are lots of 30 cal stuff that use half jackets and/or just gas checks, so a little depends on what bullets you expect to make.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Vendor Sponsor

The "helpful links" thread should help.

Swage On!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    I wondered if anybody knew where to find on the web how to swage bullets. I've found a set of .30 cal. Corbin dies but, don't know anything about using them. I can get a good deal on these but, before I buy I need to know what I'm doing. Thanks for any help.
    Well, by all means be SURE to buy these dies, BEFORE investing one penny or 15 mins of time into any of the OTHER areas of SWAGING.

I have yet to SWAGE anything, but do have a sizeable investment of both money and time in the INTENT/ATTEMPT to do so. The one thing that is almost impossible to get, is any kind of Tooling/Dies. The few sources for these are Covered up for literally YEARS of VERY IMPORTANT WORK, (All more important work than whatever they agreed to furnish you, in two weeks) when they sold you whatever they did have in stock. You will be very lucky if most of them can even "Remember" that they were "Supposed" to make anything for you, much less "What" it was.

So BUY the dies, NOW. And IF for some reason you don't go ahead with it, by all means contact me, and I will happily take them off your hands, simply to have a "Pattern" of how these particular tools are made. IF I EVER do get my hands on a set, to look at, then I won't have a problem making what I need, not to mention that I MIGHT LIVE long enough to actually Swage something that way.

Boolit Master
    If you can get a picture of them, we might be able to help you more. Or at least what type of Corbin die they are. Most likely they are M or S dies, but they could be H dies too.