Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: NOE 200-432 black powder 44-40

NOE 200-432 black powder 44-40

My mold arrived last Friday. I made some bullets yesterday from w.w. and they measured .432" and weighed 210 grs.

How about that! A mold that actually drops bullets the diameter it is supposed to!
    Thank you Swede!

Now to get some loaded up for a range test mid week.....

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Well, I never did measure the drop. Duh! I did resize mine to 430 though. I won't post my shooting results here since this is really for the long distance shooting.

Will be eagerly awaiting your results WCF

Left to right:

New 432-200 sized .430 - 217gr, Mav variant .427 206gr, my Mav mold .429 198gr, and another 432-200

Easy on me, I'm still a rookie!

432-200 on each end with a roll crimp on RP brass. Mav 200 in the middle with a Lee factory crimp on RP brass. 432-200 looks just like the Lyman 427098.

Lets don't forget w30's test with this:

Last edited by Savvy Jack; 08-19-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Jack,
    Nice pics! At 217 grs., perhaps your alloy is closer to pure lead(?)

I copied your pics and added a portion of your notes to them......

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member

#2 is Springfield Slim's Mav casting and #3 is my casting from a Dick Dastardly Mold. I want to give credit where credit is due.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...html#msg467407

It probably is more than I thought. I don't have a tester yet. Come to think of it, I think I used up the harder allow on my 454190 castings. I have to be careful with the lube sizer punch or it will damage the bullet fairly easy. I damaged the first three before I discovered my problem. I ended up discarding the punch provided with the casting and use a 454190 punch (forget the number). All of my 44-40 punches can damage the lead. The problem is that the punch was causing damage on the round nose portion of the bullet. Could be an alignment problem to but the 454 punch worked fine with no deformations.
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 08-14-2011 at 10:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    Do you need to size them??? Why not just pan lube them and shoot as cast?

Ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Quote Originally Posted by WARD O View Post
    Do you need to size them??? Why not just pan lube them and shoot as cast?

Ward
    I don't want to pan lube right now!

Oh I forgot. Well, I never did measure them before resizing. All I thought was .432 so I just resized them to .430. Doesn't look like they resized much if any but I like to lube them that way for now. Baby steps for me!!! Plus the wife hates me in the kitchen unless I am cooking. I am a bad lier!
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 08-16-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Loaded a box of 44-40's with the recipe shown on the target. I used Goex because with the standard 427098 two lube groove bullet, it fouls out in 12-15 rounds. So to see how this new bullet with its added lube capacity would preform with Goex, I set a couple of targets at 100 yards.

After firing several shots to get sighted in, I then fired additional rounds in some offhand practice until 15 remained. Those I fired at the target below.
    With the exception of the shot at 9:00 (shooter error?) and the one slightly out of the 10 ring at 11:00, the rest are in or cuttting the 10 ring with 1 in and 2 cutting the X ring.

The group size for 13 rounds was just under 3" .

After the box (50 rds) was fired, the barrel showed even fouling for its complete 24" length. Success!

By tweaking the recipe a bit, the group size could probably be tightened but 13 rounds under 3" @ 100 yards is pretty good performance I'd say.......

w30wcf
    Last edited by w30wcf; 08-20-2011 at 11:25 PM.
    aka w44wcf
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    That is very impressive - 50 shots without fouling out and great accuracy.

Did you size your boolits 432 or are you referring to the mould number?

We need to get a "buy" going for this boolit for the 38 WCF so I can do that with my '73's!!!

Ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Nice, I am gonna sit back and await the results of the swiss tests! Crossing fingers and not breathing!

Quote Originally Posted by WARD O View Post
    That is very impressive - 50 shots without fouling out and great accuracy.

Did you size your boolits 432 or are you referring to the mould number?

We need to get a "buy" going for this boolit for the 38 WCF so I can do that with my '73's!!!

Ward
    Ward,
    My Marlin has a .428" groove barrel. The chamber won't accept cartridges with bullets bigger than .430". So....I sized them .429".

Regarding a similar bullet for the 38-40, Accurate Molds has just such a design.
    I worked on it with one other fellow who purchased the mold and reported very good results in his 38-40.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=40-185C-D.png

Jack,
    At this point, I will likely not try this bullet with SWISS since it was intended to work with powders that "fouled out" with the classic 427098, whereas SWISS doesn't. I am going to try it with Schuetzen and Diamondback which is currently the least expensive b.p. @ $10/lb. It won't be until late Sept or Oct though, since I have a few more "irons in the fire" I'm working on.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by w30wcf View Post
    Jack,
    At this point, I will likely not try this bullet with SWISS since it was intended to work with powders that "fouled out" with the classic 427098, whereas SWISS doesn't. I am going to try it with Schuetzen and Diamondback which is currently the least expensive b.p. @ $10/lb. It won't be until late Sept or Oct though, since I have a few more "irons in the fire" I'm working on.

w30wcf
    Thanks! Learned something again!

Boolit Master
    w30wcf
    Thanks for the info on the Accurate mould.

I have been hoping that there would be enough interest to get a RG or Cramer style mould goiing for the 38-40. Maybe it's just a pipe dream but I can still wish.....

Ward

edited wrong forum
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 09-08-2011 at 06:54 AM.

Boolit Master

.44 Special

I bought this mold to use in my Open Top Colt; it's chambered for the .44 Special. I used 40-1 for an alloy. 23.5gr's of Goex FFFg and CCI Large Pistol primer's in Starline case's. It was worth the effort to load. It's no problem doing 3 inch groups at 20 yards. I shot 50 rounds without fouling out, a very nice change.