RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Want to try 270gr Kieth in my Rossi 92 454.

Boolit Mold

Want to try 270gr Kieth in my Rossi 92 454.

Greetings all! This is my first post on this forum.
    I’m looking to go cast with my 16” Rossi 92 in 454 and it’s partner a 7.5” Super Redhawk. I’m looking at what appears to be a classic Kieth style bullet in 270gr sold by Rimrock Bullets. My question is, do any you all have any thoughts or experience on how this bullet will cycle through the action of the Rossi? I know with some of the WFN type bullets I would have to trim the brass back some or go with 45 Colt brass.

Boolit Grand Master
    My .454 model 92 is a Puma, but I believe the design is identical to the Rossi. I also own a Ruger SRH .454 Casull. I use the RCBS 270 SAA cast boolit in both of these. It feeds in the Puma, but there is no room for any additional cartridge length.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome aboard. Somebody will chime in. I have no experience, just wanted to welcome you to castboolits.

Boolit Mold
    By my calculations it should still be below Max COAL.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    My .454 model 92 is a Puma, but I believe the design is identical to the Rossi. I also own a Ruger SRH .454 Casull. I use the RCBS 270 SAA cast boolit in both of these. It feeds in the Puma, but there is no room for any additional cartridge length.
    Did I miss something? I thought Rossi puma was the gun, (as in winchester 94 ?)

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've run a bunch of 454424s from square and round groove Lyman's and the square groove NOE version without issue and with good results under 75 yd .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Did I miss something? I thought Rossi puma was the gun, (as in winchester 94 ?)
    I think it has to do with who the importer was, as to how they were marked.
    Interarms and LSI were the distributors in the past, my LSI is only marked Puma.
    Dan

Boolit Master
    I use the RCBS 45-270-SAA in my .454 Rossi quite a bit with great results. I believe that's the same bullet as the Rimrock Bullet, but I couldn't say for certain.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Really the only way to know for sure in the rifle is to load and try some of those bullets. They would be no issue in the Ruger so you really don't have anything to lose if they don't work in the Rossi. Ask them if they can send a small sample pack, some will some won't.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    Lever rifles can be fussy about what they will feed. You will have to test it. Dont buy a lot of them before you test.

The cowboy RNFP and the truncated cone nose bullets generally work OK. But I have found exceptions. Sometimes you can find a COL that will work.

Some lever action gunsmiths can tune the rifle to the bullet.