Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Mould casts too small

Mould casts too small

What is the standard list of troubleshooting when your mould drops rounds that are smaller than the actual mould size?

I'm not an expert at casting, rather a newbie. My rounds are measuring .004 smaller than I expect them to be. (I measured them about two weeks after casting them) You don't think they could be shrinking, do you? I don't quench.

Any general ideas would be great.

Boolit Grand Master

In my opinion 0.004" is a lot.

What is your groove size and what size are you casting?

If the mould is casting undersize from what it should then you should check with the manufacturer to see if you can get a refund or replacement.

If it is casting to spec +/- a bit but you have a large groove diameter you could try Beagling which should increase diameter by up to 0.003".

You could also lap the mould but in my experience 0.004" is a lot to lap out.

What you should be aiming for is boolits at 0.001" or larger than groove diameter.

What make and model for the mould?

What gun?

What is the groove diameter?

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

What mold are you using? what alloy?
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

If it's a Lyman, forget it - they wouldn't re-cut my 452374, but offered to replace it at a considerable saving. Problem I saw with that scenario was that I might get another undersize mold.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned

Sounds like a Lyman mould to me. Throw it in the trash and spend your good money elsewhere, like RCBS, Lee, Saeco, or one of the many excellent custom mould makers.

Gear

The mould is an RCBS 45-265-RNHB. I was under the impression that it was supposed to drop .455 bullets (I'm reloading the Webley cartridge), but it is dropping .450 and .451. Perhaps I had the wrong impression to begin with? The gun is a Colt New Service in the original .455.

The lead is from sheathing taken from a building floor when they were tearing it apart. I didn't add anything to it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd feel a lot better about my chances at the roulette
    wheel vs. buying a new Lyman mold.

The old IDEAL's are another story........

Ben

Boolit Grand Master

If the mould is dropping too small RCBS will make good. The lead you are using sounds soft and soft will drop slightly smaller but not .004/5 smaller.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Dog Jack View Post
    The mould is an RCBS 45-265-RNHB. I was under the impression that it was supposed to drop .455 bullets (I'm reloading the Webley cartridge), but it is dropping .450 and .451. Perhaps I had the wrong impression to begin with? The gun is a Colt New Service in the original .455.

The lead is from sheathing taken from a building floor when they were tearing it apart. I didn't add anything to it.
    MiHec has several Brass 4-cavity 45-200 SWC moulds that are dropping 0.457" boolits with straight wheelweight alloy. I don't know the price, but they appear to be a few he made while setting up to make a run of 0.454" and 0.452" moulds. Maybe they're bargain-priced, seeing as they weren't what he planned on making.

It's post #145 on this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=116811&page=8

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Dog Jack View Post

I have an RCBS 45-255-Keith style and it drops at .452-.453. Mostly .452.

The people down on Oro-Dam Boulevard in Oroville, CA are great to deal with. Call them or communicate however you must and see what you can work out.

Been there several times (lived 10 miles away) and they were always great.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Buddy
    What are you using to measure your bullets? Dial calipers are not the best tool to measure, pick up an inexpensive micrometer. Good luck!

You could try using an alloy with a high antimony content or Linotype, this will increase the diameter. But .004" is a lot to increase.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Married it. The girth will increase naturally.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.